[r] Zigzag, 'cross the floor [r. Robyn] Life's a climb, but the view is great

From Firefly to Silent Hill and Hogwarts to Middle Earth, roleplays involving television, videogames, films, books, anime and comics go here.
Forum rules
All roleplay posts must be at least twelve sentences long (about two paragraphs) and have a rating in the title.

Suggested Ratings:

G: Open to everyone
PG-13: 13 years old and up
R: 15 years old and up
NC-17/18+: Restricted to Adults ONLY

Viewer discretion is advised
Board Rules apply in all forums.
feathertail

[r] Zigzag, 'cross the floor [r. Robyn] Life's a climb, but the view is great

Post by feathertail » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Alex was out searching for Edison, he didn't know why, he didn't ask questions, that wasn't his job. So he was riding the plains, lasso curled around the horn of his saddle, humming quietly to himself as he cantered, hat pulled low over his eyes as he looked around for the wandering horse. He was getting close to the fence next to the road when he glimpsed someone- someone trying to mount Edison? He slowed his own mount to a trot and began to turn to go question the stranger when Edison bolted and they promptly fell off.

He kicked his own horse on, into a gallop, chasing the horse down, encouraging his mount with a "ya!", one hand on the reins, the other curling easily around the lasso rope, then he threw it with a practiced arm, noosing the horse with ease, slowing him down and turning him, rope tied firmly to the horn of the saddle.

He raised an eyebrow at the guy who had tried to mount Edison as he brought both horses to a stop. "You know, Edison isn't too fond of random strangers just getting on his back," he remarked with a grin, tipping his hat back to reveal his face now the sun was behind him.

LadyLizard

Re: [r] Zigzag, 'cross the floor [r. Robyn] Life's a climb, but the view is great

Post by LadyLizard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:03 pm

It had seemed like a good idea at the time. People rode horses out here whenever they felt like it, right? And this couldn't be like one of those wild animal mustangs since it had short hair and... stuff. It just looked like a normal tame horse, okay? Like you'd see on tv. And Hank had decided that it surely couldn't be too hard to jump on its back and follow the fence until he found people. Assuming he was going in the right direction.

But that plan had come to nothing when the damn horse had bolted, leaving Hank sprawled on his back in the dust. Ow. Ow, ow, ow. Why did people never fall off like that in movies? Maybe he'd found one of those rodeo horses. There was another horse running off after it, and for a second Hank wondered where the other one had come from. Maybe he had a concussion. Oh, no, there was a guy on horseback. Great, he had a witness to his failure.

"Yeah, I kind of figured that part out," he grumbled in reply to the mocking stranger's voice. He sat up a little, rubbing the back of his head. At least he didn't seem to be bleeding, because that would just make all this worse. He squinted up at the guy, and oh shit. Shiiiit. He was pretty. It was totally the concussion that was making him think that the sun dog behind this dude's head was a halo. Totally. "Uh, who are you?"
When I was a child, I heard voices...
Some would sing and some would scream.
You soon find you have few choices...
I learned the voices died with me.

feathertail

Re: [r] Zigzag, 'cross the floor [r. Robyn] Life's a climb, but the view is great

Post by feathertail » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Alex slipped his hat off his head and shook out his hair, running a hand through it before setting the Stetson back on his head. "You okay there?" he asked, grinning a little, sitting back in his saddle. "The name's-" he squinted at the guy. "Wait- Hank? Hank McCoy? No way, your grandma said you were comin' back, I didn't believe her."

He laughed and patted his mount's neck. "You know, it's sad when the city's got to a guy so much that he doesn't recognise his own horse," he hummed, tugging Edison forwards. "There aren't many horses named Edison around, I'm surprised you didn't recognise him. Or me."

He doffed his hat and kicked the horses forwards a couple of steps to bring himself closer. "You really don't remember me? Alex Summers? The guy who, uh, had a crush on you all the way through middle and high school." He laughed and flicked his hair out of his eyes. "You really don't remember me? Wow, the city life's changed you. You, uh, don't have to worry about me fancying you any more, though. That's... in the past. I'm over it." He donned his hat and brought the horses back a pace. "You want a lift back? It's only a couple of miles walk, though, if you want to walk."

"Why are you even out here, anyway? You have a city boy strop and your dad dump you here or somethin'?"

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:40 pm

"Yeah, 'm good," Hank groaned. Even if he wasn't entirely sure that he was okay. That had really hurt. When the random dude said his name and mentioned his grandmother, Hank got a really confused look on his face and squinted at him. "Uh, my grandma?" How did this guy know anything about his grandmother? Though everyone tended to know everyone around here. Or at least they had when he'd last been here.

"The city hasn't got to me," he protested, then squinted. "Wait, that's Edison?" Oh, cool. You saw familiar faces every day, evidently. "Hey, I haven't seen him in years, I think I can be excused." It wasn't like Edison was a dramatic, flashy horse that you could recognise a mile away. Although he did feel a little guilty now. And when the guy mentioned recognising him... Hank kept squinting rather than knowing what was up.

But putting a name to the face made everything click together. "Alex Summers?" he asked, still a little confused. "I actually had no idea you had a crush on me when we were kids. But hey, no worries, I don't care much." It wasn't unusual for him to miss that people had crushes on him, he'd had no idea that Linda Hayes had had a crush on him either until she'd asked him out... and his grandmother had about died laughing that he hadn't noticed.

"No, no, no," he protested when Alex brought up the idea that he walk, scrambling to his feet. There was no way he was walking that far. Especially not with how far he'd already come. "I want a lift back." Of course, that was assuming that he was able to stay on the horse a second time.

"I didn't have a strop," he scoffed. "But yeah, Dad kicked me out of the car back on the highway, just past mile marker 37. We had an argument." And he'd been stuck walking since then. And it really sucked.

feathertail

Post by feathertail » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:00 am

"You sound it," Alex smirked as the guy groaned, patting his mount's neck as the horse snorted and pulled at his rein, so he gave him a bit of length, just to stop him tugging. "Yeah, I work for her. I'm a ranchhand now. Good, hard work never did anybody any harm," he added dryly, glancing Hank's fashionable clothes (though now muckied) and tidy haircut. "Though you might pull a muscle collecting eggs by the look of ya."

He laughed as Hank squinted. "The city's definitely got to ya if you can't even recognise your own horse, even when I've said his name several times already." He patted Edison's neck. "Not like a horse changes much. Just get a bit bigger, when they're still growing."

Alex grunted at the rude dismissal of his emotions, raising an eyebrow, but didn't comment, and instead shortened his rein, bringing his horse's head up with a click of his tongue. "You rather ride behind me, solo, or try bareback again?" he asked, picking a stray bit of grass out of his mount's mane.

He snorted. "You totally had a city boy strop," he muttered, then squinted at the track. "You not been walking that far, you just wussy." He glanced around at the tall grass. "You just got you and the backpack?"

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:27 am

"Thanks," Hank grumbled. But the news that his childhood buddy had gotten hired by his family was kind of nice. Especially since he was pretty sure that he'd always gotten along with Alex in the past. Or he might be remembering someone entirely different, but who knew? "Hey, I would not," he protested at Alex's remark. Just because he'd been living in the city for half his life didn't mean that he was a helpless kinda guy. So he might not be out roping cows and building sheds his first day back, but he would be helping in some way.

"I've spent a lot of time there," Hank protested in an attempt to defend his misstep. "And there's not a lot of horses around out there." Hardly his own fault, all things considered. It wasn't like he could make his dad move them back home, and by the time he was old enough that it wouldn't have been considered a temper tantrum, his father had no longer been interested in listening to anyone. "Well, you'd know better than I would," he admitted. "Since you're the hand on the place, you're probably helping with them every day."

He hadn't intended to sound rude, really, but that was just how it had turned out. He'd meant to say something more along the lines of 'hey don't worry about it, no harm no foul'. "Uh, I think Edison remembers me as well as I remember him, considering that he kicked me off. Might be better if I rode behind you." So maybe it might have been his fault that he got bucked off, and that he might have gone about mounting him improperly without a saddle.

"Wasn't a strop," Hank insisted again. "It was complicated," he grumbled under his breath. Kind of the truth, but yeah, he and his dad had had a huge argument over it that sort of had been a strop. "Yeah, just me and the backpack. Dad's got a suitcase of clothes and stuff in the car." Hank just hadn't wanted to grab that and drag it along with him as well. In all honesty, he shouldn't have even gotten out of the car, but there you were. City boy strop.

feathertail

Post by feathertail » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:13 pm

"No problem," Alex laughed, reaching over to pat Edison's neck as the other horse started to get restless and shift; neither horses appreciated standing still for so long. "And you would to. Probably start dancing to pop songs, like that guy... whatever his name is, then sit on them all or shit."

"I heard you been addicted to the place, that's why you back here," Alex grinned. "Detox for a few months. Get outta all that popstar hype. Livin' the simple life again, you get me?" He smirked. "'Course I know them better than you, you a city boy now. 'Parently you never lose your country knowledge, but I think you're the exception proves the rule." He grinned.

"Hoss always remembers his rider. 'Specially if they hand raise him like I hear you did. But that might be an old folks' tale. Besides, he didn't kick you off. You got up, he ran, you didn't follow," he laughed, swinging his leg over his own mount's rump and hopping down, striding over to Hank, keeping one hand on his horse. "This here," he patted the chestnut's neck, "is Banner. Don't mess with Banner, don't kick him, hit him, 'specially as you seem to not know how to ride any more." He went round the back of Hank and lifted him up under his armpits unceremoniously, and deposited him on Banner's back behind the saddle. "Hold on, city strop," he advised with a smirk, then hopped back astride the saddle. "Hold on to me or the saddle, I just advise you hold on, otherwise you'll slide right off again."

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:44 pm

"Dude, I'm not that stupid!" Hank protested. He doubted anyone was. Even as a little kid, he'd known better. Although he was pretty likely to 'start dancing around to pop songs'... side effect of being a superstar. Every so often, he just liked to do something that most others would consider stupid. "Besides, it not like you've never danced to anything." What kind of person didn't like to dance?

He snorted at Alex calling his city life an addiction. "I'm not addicted to living in the city. S'just the only thing I'm familiar with now," he confessed, ducking his head a little. After his mother had died, his father had had no desire to stay around and had moved to the city. Hank hadn't seen any of his family or friends from childhood in years. Even though he'd refused to share it with his father, he was afraid that he was just going to be an outsider to them and nothing more. They had been gone for a long time, and it felt longer to him. "Oh please, I'm not an exception to any rule." He hadn't forgotten anything, he bet. Not that he'd say that in front of Alex and probably get pestered again. This guy seemed like more of a jerk than Hank remembered.

"Legends are usually rooted in truth," Hank argued when Alex mentioned old folks' tales. "Besides, falling off the back isn't much more dignified." At least he cracked a grin at that one. You could always spin a fishing story about getting bucked off, but he'd certainly not done anything graceful enough for that. He finally got up on his own two feet, brushing himself off of a few loose pieces of grass. Who knew falling off was so messy? When Alex introduced his horse, Hank made a vaguely impressed sound and held his hand out flat, letting the animal brush its muzzle across his palm. And then Alex just picked him up like he was a sack of potatoes and dumped him on the horse's back.

All things considered, they were lucky that he didn't automatically flail and overbalance into falling off the side. He did grab onto the back of the saddle, though, maybe a little harder than he should have. "I'm not a city strop," he protested again, although he was a little bit worried about falling off. Who knew if this Alex was going to be a jerk and go too fast on purpose. Would it be weird if Hank just put his arms around his waist?

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:40 pm

"Yeah, but I dance to actual music, not to whatever that guy sings. What- what is his name?" Alex sighed, frustrated, then pointed a finger at Hank. "You'll know who he is. Y'know, the guy who sings-" he broke off and sang a complicated run that featured in one of the songs. "That guy. What's his name?"

"Uh huh," he chuckled, waving it off, unconvinced. "That's what they all say. Leave for the city and never come back." He raised an eyebrow. "You're the exception to that rule, at least, Bozo. Even babies know to hang on and not let go." He laughed, if a little harshly.

"And in years to come, people will tell of Bozo McCoy, who sat on his own horse and forgot to go with him, and ended up on his ass for the effort," he jibed, eyes twinkling. "And there ain't a dignified way to be removed from a hoss. You get down, you control it, to an extent. The hoss gets you down, you ain't got no control, Bozo."

"Are too," he retorted with a huff of laughter, settling into his seat and patting Banner's neck. He clicked his tongue and turned the horses around before nudging his heels against his mount's sides and calling out for him to walk on. "Better hold on, city strop. Holding the saddle ain't gonna do you any good." He glanced at the sun's position in the sky. "We gotta get a move on, or we ain't gonna back in time for dinner."

He glanced back over his shoulder. "Look, I already told you I ain't straight. I'm not gonna be weirded out by you touching me. Hold on, or you're gonna end up on your ass again." He waited for Hank to get a good hold before giving him a nod, and kicking Banner into first a trot, riding it out sitting, body flowing easily, as if he and his mount were one, then a canter, clicking his tongue to encourage Edison into following on the lasso rope. "You good there, Bozo?" he called back. "You wanna gallop?"