[r padfoot] I will not ask you where you came from [18+ mxm] I will not ask and neither should you

From Firefly to Silent Hill and Hogwarts to Middle Earth, roleplays involving television, videogames, films, books, anime and comics go here.
Forum rules
All roleplay posts must be at least twelve sentences long (about two paragraphs) and have a rating in the title.

Suggested Ratings:

G: Open to everyone
PG-13: 13 years old and up
R: 15 years old and up
NC-17/18+: Restricted to Adults ONLY

Viewer discretion is advised
Board Rules apply in all forums.
LadyLizard

[r padfoot] I will not ask you where you came from [18+ mxm] I will not ask and neither should you

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:29 pm

The civil war might have been over, but the aftereffects were still blatantly obvious. Tony hid in his lab most of the time, avoiding the team and putting all his energy into upgrades for tech. He and Pepper claimed they were mutually on break, but nobody was very optimistic about their chances of getting back together. Steve stiffened every time that Bucky and Tony were in the same room, like he expected Tony to attack Bucky like he had after first finding out the Winter Soldier had killed his parents. Fortunately that didn't happen, mostly because Bucky was quiet almost to the point of shyness and more or less tended to stay away from the team in general unless they initiated contact.

Still, when they were down a few team members and things came up, Bucky volunteered to help. Steve had asked him if he was sure at least four times, and Tony hadn't even looked at him, but the fact that they needed another guy was unavoidable. Bucky went into the field with them, and while Tony bluntly forewarned him that he'd be shot if he hurt the team, everything went smoothly. Of course Steve didn't look entirely happy that he was dressed in his old gear and used the Winter Soldier as his field name, but he could fight better than almost anyone on the team and they needed him.

After that, some of the team was a bit more friendly toward him. In the beginning, Bucky honestly looked like he didn't know how to respond to people being nice to him, but he started fitting in a little. He was still a bit wary of them, and unsure just what they expected of him, but he was trying hard to stay on their good side. Tony had been the only person openly hostile to him at times, but he had no doubts that if he became a liability he'd be frozen or turned over to the government. Considering what had happened last time either of those plans had been put into action, that was something that he definitely wanted to avoid if possible.

With all the bad blood between team members, and not all of it Bucky's fault, it took a while for things to get back to some kind of stable ground. Tony eventually stopped targeting Bucky whenever they were in the same room together, which was a relief to everyone. Bucky's natural reaction was to just fight it out with him, but he'd been too scared of Tony turning on him to attempt that. Anything that happened to him was bound to drag Steve into things, which was just as much of a problem. The last thing anyone needed was a repeat of the war.

Eventually, despite the fact that Bucky was still officially a criminal and at the top of every single wanted list, he started going on a few missions with the Avengers. He didn't want to, but he wasn't under the delusion that he'd be allowed to live as a freeloader. Not with his history, or his skill set. In this instance, his desires were not a part of the picture, and that was the way that things had to be, at least in the meantime.

If he'd honestly wanted to, he probably could have dug his heels in and refused. But at the moment, the war was far too recent for him to be making any trouble. Steve would be on his side even if he was wrong. That was never a question. And given that Bucky was pretty sure Tony would turn him back over to the feds at the slightest provocation – he'd said as much – he just wanted to keep his head down and behave. Even if he hadn't been in control, he had killed the man's parents and that wasn't something that could be overlooked.

So with the record he had, he was more than a little surprised that the team decided to send him on a solo mission. Or the closest thing. He'd have backup but he'd be the only one in the vicinity. There was some sensitive cargo that needed to be picked up and since it was related to Hydra, Bucky had been assigned the job. Nobody else knew the organization well enough to take on the job and make sure that it went right. While Steve protested that it was too dangerous, Bucky spoke over him and said that he could do it.

He wasn't exactly sure if he'd get back in one piece, but he could get whatever he was transporting to SHIELD safely. And if he got hurt, then Stark had quality medical equipment and Bucky hoped that Tony wouldn't hold a grudge enough to let him bleed out because he'd been trying to be helpful. Steve seemed certain that something would go wrong, but Bucky had survived seventy years of torture and he could deal with whatever happened on a simple extraction. The vehicle provided looked fairly normal but given that Tony had had his hands on it, it was undoubtedly a lot safer and sturdier than it looked. Bucky got to the meeting point and waited, keeping an eye on the local traffic and listening to Natasha's and Sam's updates over the comm unit he wore.
When I was a child, I heard voices...
Some would sing and some would scream.
You soon find you have few choices...
I learned the voices died with me.

LadyLizard

Re: [r padfoot] I will not ask you where you came from [18+ mxm] I will not ask and neither should you

If he'd known what he was getting himself into he probably wouldn't have left home and moved almost half way across the country. But they had covered their tracks pretty good, till they got him to sign the contract.

He'd been fresh out of college, working a boring job as the IT manager for a firm company. Honestly the fact that they thought he was management material was laughable but it paid his rent which is all he cared about. However, it wasn't his fault, that he got so bored with it.

Normally, he didn't indulge too much, but hacking had always been his forte. He did it for fun more than anything. It did wonders for his ego to know he can go through sensitive files the pentagon had under lock and key for shits and giggles and no one even knew. It wasn't like he cared to do anything with the information but it was awesome to know he could. Plus, most of it, he felt should be public knowledge. If a few things got leaked, well Anonymous was good about happily taking the blame.

He should have known it would eventually come back to bite him in the ass, though. Months later, when guys in suits and kevlar broke down his door, he realized he may have been too arrogant.

...Until they asked him to join them.

----

Hydra. Of course.

The funny part was, he wasn't even surprised. There was corruption everywhere; that was easy for even toddlers to see. But a secret terrorist (xenophobic) organization right under the government's eye having infiltrated every high ranking position from SHIELD to Congress?

Well..that was probably to be expected, honestly. That was what terrorist did, right? But he didn't want to be a terrorist. He was a Jew, for godsake, and everyone knew Hydra worked with Nazi's during WW2. You didn't have to be a history buff to know they were bad news all around. He'd not realized at first, what with the jobs they had given him. They tested him, wanted to know his limits, and by the time he'd jumped a ladder and been given free reign for information, he was way in over his head.

When SHIELD collapsed, files purged on the internet, Hydra had slinked into the shadows like it always did and he was given a choice. Defect, take what he could with him, and hope he survived it.

Or..he could stay. Gather more intel. Make himself look loyal to the cause and then help crumple Hydra to the ground. Theoretically he knew what he should do but he was already here. He'd already done their dirty work; his hands were already covered in someone's blood. Maybe not anyone he knew personally but he wasn't stupid.

And considering the "good" guys (and he used that term loosely) were scarce after SHIELD fell and hundreds had died with it; well he considered himself more important than ever.

It wasn't easy, though, of course. Every move he made had to be right and by the end of it he'd have enough tally's to his name that he couldn't confidently say he was one of the good guys. But they trusted him. While the Avengers and the rest of the government were hashing shit out, while SHIELD rebuilt itself, Hydra sat back and watched.

And he watched with them back.
Taking information, hiding it, manipulating it to his favor, that was a little harder but he managed. Sometimes he could only cushion the damage so much but it was worth trying at least. As much as he could.

He wasn't exactly a superhero, and he doubted his work truly made up for all the shit Hydra did, but at least he wasn't just sitting back and letting it happen.

That wasn't to say he didn't know when to give up. And when someone gave you the opportunity to leave a terrorist organization you didn't exactly say no.

Especially when you know you have information that everyone would want you dead for. He hadn't been been shy about keeping stuff. Just because he wasn't going to use it, didn't mean it wasn't important. Someone had to keep it safe, just in case someone decided to get rid of it or it became important.

---

SHIELD was his only option, unfortunately, even if he didn't like it. He didn't plan to work for them, of course, but if they got him out and let him help get rid of Hydra, he was all for it. He knew just how to get off their radar if need be later. He had gained a lot of knowledge in the last two years working for Hydra and he planned to use it to his advantage.

Getting out wasn't a matter of packing and leaving, though. Not when Hydra was everywhere. Even if he up and disappeared, they would find him. He had to go somewhere that he was kept safe and for that he needed to be valuable.

Which was how he got here.

He was supposed to be having someone, they didn't say who but he had the license plate, picking him up and taking him. He left all his stuff except the most important in his apartment. He wore jeans, converse, and a baggy hoodie and carried his satchel full of clothes. And the small bag sown into his sweater had about 16 usbs with enough information to blow the world up in chaos.

The most important of it was in his head. Where no one would have access to it until he wanted to hand it over. He wasn't making it easy for anyone to consider him expendable.

When the car pulled up, Noam knew better than to get up. He stayed where he was, sipping on his jamba juice, and pointed his phone at the car. After a second, he picked up the tracker on it, one from SHIELD, and one that reeked of Hydra. He disabled them both before getting up and following a group pass the door.

Slipping inside without preamble, he kept his hand on the door, ready to bolt.

"Got any lucky numbers?"

LadyLizard

Re: [r padfoot] I will not ask you where you came from [18+ mxm] I will not ask and neither should you

Bucky didn't know who or what he was supposed to be picking up, but Nat told him. It did surprise him that the guy looked like a kid. Hydra was getting people involved younger and younger these days. Not that he'd been very old himself when he'd fallen off the train and gotten kidnapped. Still, this kid had to barely be out of college. Looked like he knew how to cover his tracks though, which Bucky was mildly grateful for. The last thing he needed was someone that would get them both outed or killed.

Although he did have a good team with him, considering their limited numbers. Natasha and Sam worked well together, which was an additional benefit. Vision could get here fairly quickly if he was needed, but he and Sam didn't get along too well recently so Bucky had opted to have him in a tertiary position. This would be hard enough if Hydra got wind of what they were doing.

Not like the kid would be helpful if something happened. Sam could probably get him out pretty quickly, though. Bucky didn't bother putting the vehicle in park, just waiting with his foot on the brakes. In all probability, he was being paranoid, but given that it was Hydra, he had good reason. The bastards had done plenty to make him afraid of running into them.

The guy slipped into the car without attracting any attention, which was good. And more than Bucky had been expecting, truth be told. If they had to run, the tattoos and piercings would be hard to cover up, but he was dressed like every other young person around and he had a jacket that he could ditch if necessary. Hopefully his bag would have other clothes to change into.

"Got seventy-four, kid, take your pick," he replied, recognizing the code. Since he'd had the first code and was dressed in his tactical gear, there probably wasn't much doubt that he was the guy this whistleblower was supposed to be meeting. He slid over a pack of lottery tickets, his credentials and the secondary code number near the bottom of the stack. If this was the right person, he'd know where to look in the pile.

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:30 pm

One good look at the guy and Noam's heart rate picked up so mch he was pretty sure the super soldier could hear it.

Holy fucking shit.

Noam kept his face as blank as possible as he was passed the tickets and looked at his ID immediately even though he knew what he would find. He was surprised to see the man's actual name on the document but didn't say anything as he passed them back to him.

"This week's numbers are 10, 73, 9, 15, 49, and 63," he replied, sitting back and putting on his seat belt.

LadyLizard

Bucky caught the brief flicker of emotion on the other man's face. He couldn't hear his heartbeat, but he could see the other signs of his surprise. Well, considering the guy had been in Hydra, he probably knew exactly what he was looking at. To his credit, he got right into the car and didn't obviously freak out over the driver. Once the documents were passed back, he tucked them in his pocket and waited the other's reply.

"Nat, we're on our way out," he said as he pulled into traffic. "Heading northwest." Both Natasha and Sam replied in the affirmative, and he knew that Sam would be tracking them from the air. "So what's your name?" he asked, glancing over at his passenger a moment.

LadyLizard

Noam put his bag on his lap and sipped on his smoothie. After a moment he put it in the cup holder and tried not to stare at the other man. He knew plenty, probably too much, about the Winter Soldier. He hadn't met him but you didn't have to to hear of him. However, at least half of the usbs he carried had a file on him.

His question made Noam blink and he picked at his thumb's nail bed a little nervously. "Noam," he answered.

LadyLizard

Bucky nodded once at the answer. He didn't bother giving his own name since Noam had seen it on the documents. Not to mention that the other man had obviously recognized him on sight. That made him wonder just how much the other man knew about him. Of course, the Soldier was a ghost story for plenty of people outside of Hydra, but the members of that organization knew of him very well.

"Stop freaking out," he said absentmindedly, glancing in the rearview to switch lanes. "Nat, what are you driving?" He waited for her answer, then nodded. "Mark three cars back, keep an eye on them."

LadyLizard

Noam couldn't help it. He scowled at his insistence to calm down and swiveled his head around at the mention of a mark. He ducked his head immediately, realizing how stupid that had been, and slouched down in his seat.

"Already? I sent out fakes!" He pursed his lips, trying to figure out who and how they found out. He'd been careful. Goddamit.

LadyLizard

Bucky only raised an eyebrow at Noam's scowl. At the other's reaction to the mark, he had to fight to keep from smacking him in the back of the head. "It's probably nothing," he pointed out. He was just being careful, given that Hydra would like nothing more than to get the two of them back.

"Calm down," he couldn't resist saying. Noam honestly did seem like he was panicking a little. Which Bucky couldn't blame him for. He was a bit uneasy himself. If the odds were against them and that really was someone after them, it had taken far less time than it should have.

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:31 pm

Noam eyed him, unsure. On one hand, he didn't believe the Winter Soldier didn't know when someone was following him. And on the other, Noam really hoped no one was. He'd laid out all the plans himself, triple checked and made sure he could do this.

Huffing, he let out a long breath through his nostrils, and crossed his arms over his chest. He wasn't exactly a field agent, which was why he needed someone to pick him up.

If there was anyone who must hate Hydra, though, it had to be him. Hydra had destroyed James Barnes and created who they wanted out of his husk. Noam supposed he couldn't have a better body guard.

"Fine."

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:31 pm

Bucky caught the uncertain glance and glanced over at him. "I know what I'm doing." There was barely any chance that Hydra had picked them up so soon, but if that was what happened, Bucky was having a serious talk with whoever set this up. A result like that was due to some serious oversight. Since Noam had set things up himself, that would be a part of the problem as well.

Noam's dramatic reply didn't get the dignity of a response. Bucky had worked with teenagers before, even been one himself a lifetime and a half ago. And while it was pretty obvious that Noam didn't have any experience in the field, that was why Bucky had been sent to pick him up.

He switched lanes, going off their planned route. Nat sped up, almost crashing into two cars but cutting off the one that Bucky had identified as potentially being trouble. Its driver slammed on the brakes, horn blaring, but didn't have the chance to follow them. Whether Bucky was right or not, for the moment they were fine. And while they'd lost Nat, she was perfectly capable of handling herself.

"Thanks, Natalia," he murmured. "Sam, we're rerouting. Gonna need eyes in the air."

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:45 pm

He chewed on his lip, grabbing his smoothie again so he could chew on the straw instead, and sipped some of it. He eyed the other man as he drove and the traffic around him. Noah let out a sound of surprise when they sped up and cut someone off.

His eyebrows furrowed as he spoke to someone on the coms. He had a good idea of who Nat was, because everyone knew who she was now but not Sam. Was that one of the newer Avengers, since the Black Widow was one? He frowned in thought, trying to put a face to the name. What was the code name? A bird name, he was pretty sure. Not Hawkeye, because he was named Cliff or Clint or something. Hm.

LadyLizard

Bucky glanced over when Noam made a noise, which almost got them crashed, but his reflexes were good enough that nothing happened. So far nothing much had happened, but if this kid was surprised by some rude driving it was going to be hell to get back home. This kid really wasn't much for field work, even more than Bucky had been expecting. He really hoped that things wouldn't get too exciting.

"Nat, are you meeting us at the compound or catching up?" he asked.

"Дайте мне указания, и я дам вам знать. (Give me directions and I'll let you know)," she answered.

"Мы направляемся к северо-западу от шоссе, с выходом семнадцать. Возьмите следующий, затем направо. Догнать нам пересечении 48-го и Альбатрос (We're heading northwest off the highway, exit seventeen. Take the next one, then a right. Catch up to us by the intersection of 48th and Albatross)."

"Не жди меня (Don't wait up for me)."

"Wouldn't dream of it, Natashka."

LadyLizard

He wasn't surprised, perse, but he expected this not to get bad so quickly. It wasn't like SHIELD hadn't agreed with the dispatch. He did have plenty of alternatives in place but he wanted this to go off smoothly.

Noam stayed quiet, picking up a few words in Russian, but not exactly fluent in it. He finished his smoothie and watched the road.

"Why are you doing pick up?" He asked after a bit of silence. He could understand if they sent one of the Avengers, but why him?

LadyLizard

"The team's low on people that still like working together," Bucky explained, paying more attention to the road than what he was saying. "We had a rough time a couple months ago and we needed things to go as smoothly as we could with this op. And I'm the best person for any run involving Hydra. No need to worry about second guessing my actions if they show up." Extreme prejudice would be an understatement.

He switched lanes again, turning so he could get to the right place to meet up with Natasha. She pulled up behind him at the light, bringing a hand up to brush at her hair to hide her subtle salute to him. Bucky doesn't return the signal, since he knows she saw him.

"Rerouting is gonna add some time to our estimate. But if that was someone who was tailing us, chances are we're off whatever route they had plants on."

LadyLizard

Noam frowned and didn't bother to hide his surprise at the other's honesyt. Not what he expected to hear. Especially considering the man hadn't even known his name. He'd been certain he'd be more secretive than this but apparently he'd been wrong.

"Oh." He nodded and stayed quiet, not sure what to say. He wasn't really one of the good guys and he had no illusions about it. He'd basically deflected but that wasn't quite like being one of the good guys and then forced to be otherwise.

"I sent out a few different ones," he said after a moment. "Planted fake Intel. To Hydra and SHIELD."

LadyLizard

Bucky probably shouldn't have said all that he had, but Noam would have figured that out sooner or later if he was throwing his lot in with SHIELD, the Avengers, or anyone affiliated with them. And it wasn't like the events hadn't been all over the news, even if the facts behind the scene hadn't been concrete. Noam didn't seem inclined to explore the comment about Bucky's actions, at least. That was something he wasn't going to learn a thing about.

He snorted at the comment about fake intel. "Nice job." Stark was going to love this kid. Rules? What rules? Although after living with Steve, and then with Hydra, he wasn't exactly fond of them himself.

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:46 pm

He was surprised by his own reaction to the other's praise. He bit back a smile, pleased, because he knew the Winter Soldier wasn't someone who didn't know they're job. He may not be a techy like Noam but no doubt he knew enough to get by when it came to this sort of work.

After a moment, he looked away. He wasn't much for hero worship, though. "Well it is my life on the line so.." He shrugged. He wasn't taking any chances, not when everyone could decide he wasn't needed. He didn't exactly have a super soldier bodyguard 24/7.

LadyLizard

Bucky definitely knew his job. And he knew a bit about technological things, but he was by no means on Noam's level. Just like Noam couldn't manage to do the things that the Winter Soldier could. He nodded at Noam's explanation.

"Funny how that motivates someone," he mentioned. Having their life being the price of their success or failure could really make someone want to put their best effort forward. And it seemed like Noam was pretty smart even without the boost.

"You were a hacker, right?" he asked. Thought he was doing the right thing when he joined and realized it was a mistake, most likely. Not too different from his own experiences with Hydra, at times. Sometimes they'd brainwashed him into thinking that he was helping people when he was actually causing a huge amount of trouble.

LadyLizard

He snorted, not bothering to comment. Considering who he was talking to, he knew the other man probably knew about that a lot more than he did. He couldn't imagine leaving Hydra after being brainwashed. At least he had been able to just fake it.

Noam threw a glance over at him. "Yeah. How much do you know?"

LadyLizard

Bucky shrugged a little. "I knew that you were good with tech and that you defected from Hydra after being recruited a few years ago. The hacker part I guessed about. But there was a reason that Hydra wanted you and it wasn't a legal one. What did they tell you they were?"

Over the years he'd seen a few different methods. Usually Hydra pretended to be on the right side of the law, or to have an agenda similar enough to their target's that they could keep up the pretense until it was too late for the person to back out.

LadyLizard

Noam eyed him for a second before looking away with a nod. He didn't like having people know much about him and thankfully SHIELD hadn't disclosed too much. He knew just how easy it was to lose secrets.

"Government agency, close to the CIA and SHIELD. Lots of undercover work SHIELD doesn't do," he told him, shaking his ead. He snorted. "About a year or so, I came across some files..dug a little deeper.." He waved a hand dismissively. That had been almost 5 years ago. "Been a few years."

LadyLizard

Bucky was unimpressed with the look Noam gave him, although it was a bit impressive that this skinny nerd was eyeing the Winter Soldier while stuck in a car with him on the run from Hydra. He did understand not wanting people to know about you. Most of the time he was like that himself. Steve had tried to convince him to talk to a therapist, and SHIELD had demanded it, but Bucky hadn't bothered. What people didn't already know about him, they weren't going to find out from him.

He nodded at the explanation. "That's pretty accurate, all things considered." Mention of files didn't mean much to him. All he knew about Hydra had very little to do with files. "You're lucky you got this far. Going underground with SHIELD witness protection?" That was most likely, but who knew what the kid was going to be up to.

LadyLizard

"Except for the part where they're actually a xenophobic and racist terrorist organization trying to take over the world," he pointed out with a snort. "They forgot to mention that in my interview." Which hadn't been very much of an interview, all things considered. They had put a gun to his face.

Noam shrugged. "Luck had nothing to do with it. Until this morning I was a loyal Hydra agent." He had no doubt that the man would understand. He found out about Hydra years ago but hadn't just gotten up and left like plenty did when SHIELD collapsed. He pursed his lips. "I wouldn't do well in witness protection. Apparently I get an all access pass for my services." And if he had it his way, he'd be able to slither away once Hydra was on the ground.

LadyLizard

"Yeah, they forgot that part about eighty years ago, too," Bucky agreed. Considering that it was Hydra, the lying part wasn't so surprising. But he had to wonder at the finesse of them not just taking what they wanted. Apparently they had learned something since kidnapping and torturing a horrified young soldier. Considering Noam's stature, that was definitely good for him.

He was a bit surprised at how open Noam was in admitting that he'd been loyal so recently. Although he did understand that he would want to try to bring the place down instead of just running once it started to fall apart. If it hadn't been for all the triggers and codes in his head, he probably would have tried to go back and do the same thing himself.

"If you can really get into everything, you should talk to Stark. He'd be happy to get you back into trouble." That was something of a specialty of Tony's. Just like his dad. Nat said something indistinct and Bucky straightened up a little.

"Natashka?" he asked, frowning a bit.