[18+] I'm trying, but I'm graceless [mxm] don't have the sunny side to face this [/r]

From Firefly to Silent Hill and Hogwarts to Middle Earth, roleplays involving television, videogames, films, books, anime and comics go here.
Forum rules
All roleplay posts must be at least twelve sentences long (about two paragraphs) and have a rating in the title.

Suggested Ratings:

G: Open to everyone
PG-13: 13 years old and up
R: 15 years old and up
NC-17/18+: Restricted to Adults ONLY

Viewer discretion is advised
Board Rules apply in all forums.
LadyLizard

Re: [18+] I'm trying, but I'm graceless [mxm] don't have the sunny side to face this [/r]

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:45 am

Dean could tell things weren't going as well as he'd hoped. The news that he and John had split up seemed to be hitting Sam pretty hard, even though the father-and-son duo had kept in touch a lot better than Sam had. John had gone off by himself plenty of times while his sons were too young to hunt, but after they'd all started hunting together, it had been unusual. "Yeah, Dad lets me hunt on my own now. C'mon, Sam, I'm not twelve any more. We both know I can hunt on my own." Besides, Sam hardly had room to talk, considering he'd completely cut himself off from the family for six years. That didn't mean he didn't deserve the truth, even if it hurt.

"Sam, calm down," Dean said, trying to salvage things. His brother was freaking out just over them not working together, and he didn't even want to try telling him the reason they'd split up. "Dad and I keep an eye on each other as best we can." Well, Dean kept tabs on John; he didn't know if his father did the same. He figured Bobby might tell him what Dean was up to when John called for a hunt, but he didn't know.

"Fuck, might as well tell you." Dean set his drink down on the counter and took a deep breath. "Dad got drunk, got mad and... Started talking. He didn't mean what he was saying, Sam, I know it, but... he said it was a good thing you left. Said you never fit into the hunting life so you might as well cut us off. I got kind of mad too." That was an understatement. Well, no going back now. "Broke his nose and left. I call him every week and he picks up the phone, but we don't work together too often these days. I told him I wasn't going to tolerate anyone talking about my brother like that, even him." Getting it all out in the open made him ashamed of what he'd done, but he wouldn't take it back.
When I was a child, I heard voices...
Some would sing and some would scream.
You soon find you have few choices...
I learned the voices died with me.

LadyLizard

Re: [18+] I'm trying, but I'm graceless [mxm] don't have the sunny side to face this [/r]

Sam rolled his eyes, not in the least amused. No he wasn't twelve but that had never been an issue. Their Dad was protective of them enough that he never let them hunt alone, unless Sam and Dean both worked together to watch each other. His Dad was beyond paranoid about the two of them getting hurt.

"You don't know even know where he is right, but you keep an eye on each other?" He was incredulous and it was only natural, even if he had no right to act like he cared. He'd been the one to leave them to begin with, never called, or asked how they were doing or what.

His eyebrows rose when Dean gave in but the news wasn't something he didn't expect. He closed his mouth to stop himself from saying anything and rubbed his face. Of course their father was angry. What surprised him was that Dean had defended him. And that wasn't to say that he didn't think that Dean would be on his side, but he never fought with their father the way that Sam had. And to hit him? That was something he never imagined Dean would do. No wonder he didn't want to talk about it.

Sighing loudly, Sam nodded, and leaned forward to bury his face in his hand.

"I'm sorry..I.." Well, what the hell could he even say? He made that happen. He made them angry at each other because John had always been angry at him. Because he couldn't lie down and do what he wanted him to do. He just couldn't, even when it was in his best interest.

"Shit, Dean." He spared his brother a look. "I didn't think..I thought you'd stay together. You..were good together...you didn't have to do that." And he was clearly not part of that, he never felt like he had been. He'd thought he'd pulled Dean too much, sometimes, made his brother have to fight himself on which side to be on. And he hated that, so he took himself out of the equation, because it hurt to stay for so many reasons including that. Only for it to cause the exact thing he didn't want.

LadyLizard

Twelve years old or twenty, their Dad had always been over-protective of them. He'd never said why but Dean suspected it had something to do with the death of their mom. Which was one of the many Winchester family issues that they didn't ever talk about. Dean had complained about it several times but never too seriously. He was as bad as their father when it came to Sam.

Sam's surprise made Dean a little curious, since it had been Sam who'd completely cut himself off from the family. He knew that Sam would never have expected him to go so far in defending him, though. Dean certainly hadn't done anything like that before, even when Sam deserved backup in whatever fight he was having with John. Of course he'd wanted to keep on his father's good side, wanted to make his dad proud of him, but that was no reason to act the way he had. He'd more than overcompensated with their last real meeting, though.

"Sam, I..." Dean shook his head. "John and I have had differences in opinion, sure, and I've deferred to him most times. But you're way more important. Even if I didn't know if you were alive or not, you were still my little brother. No way am I gonna stop keeping an eye on you just because you ran off. I messed things up with Dad, even if he did kind of deserve it. But it wasn't all your fault, Sam. I needed to get out on my own more than Dad was letting me. You were just a catalyst, I guess." Which did kind of make it Sam's fault, but Dean was doing everything he could to make him feel better about it. There wasn't much he could say when it all came down to it, though.

"Yeah, we were good together. And this kind of makes family dinners an awkward thing. But I never had your back the way I should've when we were kids. Sure, I went too far that night, but... I guess all I can say is that you're my brother and I've got your back." Which would always be true, regardless of his relationship with John or the fact that Sam had left them. "No massages though. I don't do that kind of stuff."

LadyLizard

He'd been jealous, as a child, he could admit. Greedy and jealous. He wanted Dean all to himself. He was used to getting what he wanted when it came to his older brother and he'd been hellbent on not losing him to their father. But that very irrational thinking was part of what sent him packing to begin with. Despite choosing either one of them, at the end of the day, it was Dean's choice to make. He was his brother, they were all family, and Sam didn't want him to have to make that sort of decision. Leaving was the better option; taking the choice completely away from him. Or so he'd thought.

Sam shook his head. "I..okay." He couldn't very well take the choice away from him even if he wished it was different. Whatever they did once he was gone, was not something he could change. It was his fault, he knew that, and he'd take responsibility and leave it there.

He offered his brother a smile. "I know. And it's the same the other way around. I'm sorry I cut things off. I don't plan on doing it again," he said. "But you're..my brother. You were my best friend. I'll do what I can to fix what I messed up between us."

LadyLizard

Well, at least Sam was taking things better than Dean had thought he would. He'd expected a lot of yelling but he wasn't going to protest that all he got was a couple words. There wasn't anything that Sam could do about it, anyway. It was too late for that, and even if it wasn't, Dean didn't want to change his mind on where he stood. Family was family, and Sam was his little brother. He returned the offered smile, shaking his head at Sam's apology. "You ran scared, brother. Not much that you can fix about that. It's in the past now."

And that was where it could stay, as far as Dean was concerned. He hadn't quite burned his bridges as far as his relationship with John went, but he'd certainly singed them. But with Sam, things seemed to be as strong as they'd ever been. Dean had gotten over the majority of his anger before getting the chance to talk things over with him, and now that they had, Dean couldn't fault his brother for the reasoning behind his actions. The actions themselves, he had very many problems with, but at least he understood his brother now.

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:46 am

Sam sighed, knowing what Dean said was true.

"..you're right," he said with a curt nod. "And I'm sorry it hurt you and Dad..and me..but I had to make a hard choice." He shrugged. There weren't very many options at the time and he didn't know if he would change it even now. Things happened and going back in time wasn't an option even if he did want to change it.

"For what it's worth," he added after a second, "I missed you." He offered his brother a smile and grabbed his drink, sitting back in his seat. "It was damn weird without you around, man. Especially since I had to live in a freakin dorm." And the demon aside, Brady was on his closest friends now, but he wasn't Dean. None of his friends would ever be like Dean.

He hadn't bothered to look for a replacement because he knew it wasn't possible to find one.

LadyLizard

Dean shrugged. "Hard choices happen, bro. Since we don't get the chance to go back in time and change things, we live with what we have. Besides, it's like old times. Two brothers fooling around while there's no responsible adults to get into trouble with. I still managed to get you into a lot of trouble back then, though." And very few of those times had been Sam's fault. He'd usually gotten dragged along on one of his brother's adventures and gotten the blame as well.

"Missed you too, buddy." Dean scoffed at his complaining. "How hard can it be to live in a dorm at Stanford? It was probably twice the size of our old house. You poor, suffering college student, living in squalor. Could've been living out of a car, feeding on greasy roadside burgers. It's tough having to live on your own in the big, bad world without a college degree." He couldn't help grinning then, because his little brother had gotten a degree at Stanford of all places, and Dean was really proud of him.

LadyLizard

"I'm pretty sure you were supposed to be the adult," he joked. Dean hadn't mellowed by the time he turned eighteen though. Well, not really, only in the ways that their father cared about. Otherwise he was reckless and immature about everything. It drove Sam a little crazy, since he'd been the opposite from a huge age, but he couldn't help but appreciate it. Dean created a lot of good times for them both.

Sam laughed. "Dude..no way. I swear. We had more space living in those places Dad rented out or the motel rooms we shared while he was gone with two beds." He wrinkled his nose, remembering the stuffy rooms. There was one window, two small ass beds, which you know I'm too tall for, and you get a small shelf. The room was from here to there." He gestured from the wall to the end of the couch." There was literally a small closet next to the door that you shared and that was it. You had to share the bathroom with the entire fucking floor and anyone who they invited over."

Sam scoffed. "I got a bigger place with a bathroom once I started the graduate program but.." He shook his head. "Couldn't stay there long with my roommate. I got this place and said fuck it."

LadyLizard

Dean laughed at the joke, shaking his head with a grin. "Nope, no adults here." He'd always been a little carefree and immature about things, at least when he wasn't working. Growing up in terms of years had done nothing to change that. Most of the trouble among the under-eighteen crowd could be traced to him, growing up. Sam had always been the other way around, responsible since the younger side of childhood, but that only gave Dean more to work with.

He couldn't help a snort at Sam's description of college dorms. "Okay, yeah, that does sound kind of bad," he agreed. "Poor, suffering college student for real." Sam always had been too tall for most of the beds they'd come across at motels. Dean had memorized his brother's face at finding yet another short bed years ago. "You'd think they'd have extra-long beds or something. Sharing a bathroom, though. Barbarians." If there was one thing Dean hated, for some reason even he couldn't explain, it was sharing bathrooms with a bunch of other people. He'd always shared with his dad and brother, of course, but he disliked doing the same with more than a handful of people.

"No wonder you got your own place." Dean shook his head and took a sip of his soda. "It looks nice, though. And I bet you don't have any hard times putting down devil's traps and stuff. That had to be awkward with a roommate."

LadyLizard

He snorted softly. Dean was a priss about sharing bathroom space and germs and he knew it intimately. It was always hilarious, considering how he didn't mind being covered in blood and monster guts, but hated when people coughed too close. Dean was just ridiculous and funny that way.

"Unfortunately nope," he said with a shrug, glad to have his own place. He looked around said place when his brother said it was nice and smiled slightly. He grimaced at the next part, unsure if he should be honest. Well, it was in the past, and he could definitely take care of himself now.

"Actually I couldn't. And uh..that wasn't a good thing." He rubbed his face. "It wasn't very safe in the dorms. One of the reasons why I moved out "

LadyLizard

Dean was more than happy to keep being ridiculous if it kept him in his comfort zones. Being covered in blood would not transfer some random disease that could have you sick for days at a time, drugged up on meds and barely able to keep food down. Being sick was not only annoying but disgusting as well.

He huffed when Sam said he couldn't put down devil's traps and the like. Barbarians, indeed. Although most people would have thought that someone drawing stuff like that on the floor would have been strange. Pop culture had completely distorted the meaning of several symbols used by hunters. Of course that wasn't a good thing. It was dangerous, for those who knew better. Sam's admission instantly kicked him into protective mode. "What happened? You okay?"

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:47 am

He wasn't surprised at his brother's instant worry. He rolled his eyes, but knew that it had been serious when it happened, and it could have been much worse.

"I'm okay, dude." He patted his shoulder. "A demon possessed my roommate four years ago," he explained. "He came back from break different. Started doing drugs. Thought something happened at home but I put up some salt Iines because of a gut feeling, not really knowing he'd react, and well..yeah." He shrugged, not wanting to go into too much detail. It hadn't been something that happened all in one day.

"He's okay now though. Demons gone. I got my own place with plenty of protections. They just wanted to hurt some other people, I think." As far as he knew anyway. They never made it personal except Brady happened to be his friend.

LadyLizard

Dean huffed at the pat on his shoulder. He wasn't a little kid any more, even if he didn't mind the touch. At the news that a demon had possessed Sam's roommate, Dean let out an unearthly screech. "What the fuck?" he yelped. Sam went off to college and his friend got black-eyed. Yeah, totally normal schooling experience. If it weren't for the fact that Sam had already said he was okay, obvious physical evidence aside, Dean would be even more panicked right now. Demon possession was a serious problem, especially when a hunter was on his own, without weapons, in the middle of a huge non-hunter population.

"I fucking hope the demon's gone." Dean huffed again, sharper this time. Sam better have plenty of protections around his place. "If that happens again, you gotta call me. No exceptions, dude. Taking on a demon by yourself is dangerous. And if I say that, there's a serious hazard."

LadyLizard

He winced at Dean's screech, dramatically poking his ear at the volume of it.

"Calm down," he insisted. He knew Dean was right, though. He gas been seriously dangerous. They had never actually dealt with demons before, though theif father had taught them about them just in case. He'd ended up having to trap the demon but it hadn't been easy and he almost thought he lost his friend at one point. But it had been way too urgent to call anyone and he got lucky it didn't put more of a fight.

"I will, okay?" He finished the rest of his drink and put the can on the table. "I promise. I got lucky, I know I did. And it hasn't happened again since. And this place is fully protected." There were protections Dean couldn't even see. He'd practically wrapped his magic around the place. No one who wished him harm was coming in without setting off alarms. And if they weren't very strong, they wouldn't be able to come in at all.

LadyLizard

Dean was tempted to smack his brother at the insistence that he calmed down. Sam had risked much more than his life, trying to go after a demon alone. And he'd actually managed to do it. Dean didn't know if he wanted to congratulate his brother or fall over backwards and go into a coma. Their dad had taught them about demons but they'd never, ever gone up against them, even together. That was because they were dangerous. His little brother had fought one alone, and actually brought both parties out alive.

"You better," he threatened. "Jesus." If Sam had ended up dying because his brother hadn't been there to protect them, Dean would have hated himself for the rest of his life. And it wasn't like Sam was careless enough that he didn't know the danger behind his actions. Sam had fully warded his place, though, which made him feel better, if not by much. "I hope this place has dozens of protections around it," he grumbled, still reeling a bit from the news.

LadyLizard

He could suss out the familiar look on his brother's face easy enough and he couldn't help but be amused. He didn't always do something reckless but when he did Dean always wanted to smack him for being an idiot.

"It does," he assured him. "I made sure of it." And he touched them up routinely too. Both the magicl wards and any others. SSam smiled, making a gesture as if to say they should move on.

"So since I'm curious, I'll clear things up on my end. I got rid of the demon, ended up helping someone else, and kind of..realized that my talents could be useful, even if I don't hunt. I had always been good at research and I kind of like. So..I help some hunters out sometimes, send out emails about translations, and give Bobby information he can't find. Nothing major. It just..was easy, you know? I already knew what to do." John and Dean taught him everything he knew.

"Now..your turn. What's this thing you wanted me to translate? Is it dangerous? Are people hurting? Where did you find it?" He didn't bother to hide his interest.

LadyLizard

Considering the fact that Dean had probably been the most reckless teenager on the planet, he didn't have much room to talk when it came to Sam doing things like this. But he couldn't help the worry that came almost automatically. The news that Sam had protected his home made him feel a little better. At least he was being smart in the aftermath, even though Dean knew he would have been even more careful if it hadn't been for the fact he couldn't very well draw a devil's trap on the floor of his dorm room.

Sam's explanation bringing them up to the present time was interesting enough that Dean was willing to move on. He nodded along as Sam spoke. "Yeah, sounds like you're doing a pretty good job of it." And he'd never been one for books himself, much. Whenever possible, he'd left it to those with the aptitude.

"Well, I don't have half the story," Dean said with a laugh. "I was on a hunt that ended up being a rogue witch. Taught herself all kinds of weird stuff, dark magic, how to kill people. She had this set of cuneiform with her when I ganked her placing a hex bag. Witch hunts always feel weird, somehow. I figured she might have learned something from it, or been using it for incantations or something... It was obvious that it was important to her, so we need to know what it says in case something like this happens again. But, yeah, nobody can figure out what it says and Bobby set me up to meet you. Scheming old curmudgeon that he is."

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:48 am

"I hope so anyway," he said with a snort. "I..it was hard, moving around so much, you know I hated it. I didn't keep it a secret. And hunting is dangerous. But..it helps people and I know that. I tried to forget about it but if I could do good and not hunt...I'll do it. You guys at least showed me how important it can be." His brother and father were heroes, of that he had no doubt, but he wasn't cut out for that life.

Sam's eyebrows furrowed with interest at his story and he glanced at the bag Dean brought with him. "Can I see? Maybe I can figure it out." What Dean said was likely, considering witches liked to work off grimoires and the like. If she was a dark witch, then it would no doubt be dark. His own grimoire, one he was making on his own in secret because he wasn't part of a coven, was under his bed right now. Technically he wasn't allowed to, he wasn't old enough or experienced enough, but he was a Natural witch. He had a bit more leeway. And his incantations would probably only work for him alone or someone whose magic was similar.

LadyLizard

Dean knew his brother had hated their life growing up. It had been hard on him too but he just chose to keep it to himself. There was nothing he could have done about it anyway. Until they were adults, they'd hardly had any other options, though Dean had stayed until his brother left. After that, he'd been pulled into one hunt, then another, until he'd eventually given up on leaving the hunting life and made it into his own as much as he could.

"Yeah, sure," Dean agreed. He went over to the couch and brought his bag back, taking out the cuneiform and handing it over. "I had another guy look at it but he had no idea what it meant except for a few words. Said I needed someone better so I called Bobby." Which had ended up well for both of them, and for once he wasn't saying that sarcastically.

LadyLizard

He couldn't say he regretted leaving, although for sure he did regret how things between his family ended up being. He knew that it was for the better, though, considering the circumstances. It wasn't easy to do or fun but the reality was that he needed to do it. And he'd learned a lot because of it. He was a different person now, somewhat.

"Not surprising. Cuneiform isn't rare but it's a pain in the ass," he told him, taking the offered papers. They were old and worn, and Sam's fingers tingled where the witch's magic oozed off of them. He grimaced instinctively at the slimy feeling of black magic and put the paper on his lap, cleaning off his fingers with his jeans before looking the first page over.

"Jeez. Yeah. This has to be real old. I think I'm gonna need to look it over. Translate it to something more readable. It looks to be in code, kind of. Not a lot of it but the important parts," he mumbled, mostly to himself. He picked up the second page hesitantly and frowned at the writing at the bottom.

"Looks like..incantations for a..enlightment..no. Prophecies." He snorted loudly. "She probably thought that she could use it to gain precognitive powers. Idiot. That doesn't work like that." He bit his lip when he realized Dean was still listening. Yeah, so he was a little passionate. Sue him.

LadyLizard

Dean leaned over to get a better look when Sam mentioned them being old. "Think you can get an idea of what it says?" he asked. He didn't know what any of it meant, but he was hardly the one to be judging. English was hard enough for him to read sometimes if the words were complicated, let alone something at least hundreds of years old.

If it was old, Dean wondered where it had come from and how the witch had gotten it. Most witches - the ones that weren't buying plastic wands online - were working with a few older books but mostly new stuff, as far as he know, although he wasn't very well-versed in witchcraft lore.

The mention of prophecies made him raise an eyebrow, which only went higher when Sam snorted. "If it doesn't work like that, wouldn't she have known that?" he asked. "I mean, you're hardly a hands-on expert and she had a car crammed full of this kind of stuff. Any idea what kind of prophecies it's talking about?"

If this was something serious then Dean needed to get back in touch with Bobby instantly. From the way Sam was acting, though, he rather got the idea there wasn't much there that would be helpful to anyone. Although he was certainly not the kind to be close-minded about things, given his occupation and his history. Whatever he ran into tended to get the benefit of the doubt.

LadyLizard

"Yeah, with some time to look it over," he replied, making a note of the books he owned and could get his hands on to translate the cuneiform. He didn't exactly read it for bed time stories or anything so he only could pick out a few words. Otherwise, it was just a jumble of letters. He spread the papers between them on the couch.

He bit his tongue when Dean said he wasn't an expert, because his pride demanded he challenge that notion, and just nodded towards the papers. "Was this all you got from her? Or did you have more somewhere?" It would be better if he could have it all, make sure it didn't get into the wrong hands. Maybe give it to a coven he trusted, but those were few and far between. He rather keep it hidden himself.

"And..well. Maybe she didn't know that," he said, hoping to explain without giving too much away. "See, you know how they're Natural witches, Borrowers, and Students? (Students being the ones who get taught/learn on their own and borrowers get it from demons and other nasty ways) Well. Some spells work for only one type. And if she was using dark magic, it's not possible that she was a Natural witch unless she was highly powerful. And considering you're not dead..I doubt she was." He shrugged.

He looked back down at the papers before shuffling them together back in order. "I'll start translating in the morning. It shouldn't be too urgent if she's dead, at least. But anyone else getting their hands on these isn't something we want."

LadyLizard

Dean nodded as he said he could work it out. He figured Sam would probably need some time, but he didn't mind. They'd caught up on everything, and it would be easy for Sam to just email him the translation, but he didn't mind sticking around in the least. Where he was concerned, since nobody was in danger and he'd just gotten his brother back, Sam could take as much time as he wanted. Apart from his check-in calls with John, he wasn't expected anywhere and had no routine.

"This was all I got," Dean said. "I think Bobby ended up with some of the rest, though. Hunter I was working with said he knew somebody and he ended up taking most of it." Since he'd had no reason to keep the stuff himself, and the other hunter had been recommended by Bobby, he'd been fine with the man taking it. Despite the fact that he lived out of his car, or perhaps because of it, he tried to keep his extra luggage to a minimum, and the other hunter had had a van that he worked out of.

He nodded a few times as Sam explained things. His brother seemed to have a pretty good handle on witch lore, but Dean wasn't really suspicious. A lot of hunters had fields they specifically researched, from curiosity or personal history or just by chance. Sam was too smart to be a Borrower and Dean was fairly sure he wasn't the Natural type, which just left Students, but Dean thought he would have noticed if Sam seemed different enough that he was learning magic.

"Considering I'm not dead, let's be glad she wasn't," Dean said. He'd come pretty close to getting killed a few times over the years, but he was hardly a fine of it. "No hurry on them. It's not like anyone's waiting for a translation of the Book of Mormon or something." Sam was right saying they wanted to keep the papers in the right hands, though.

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:49 am

"Alright. I guess that's better than it being left at the scene or for someone else to find them who wanted to use them," he said with a sigh. If they were truly dangerous, he would pass a message along to Bobby to find them and hide them. Just in case. Hunters were normally careful but you never knew when someone was lost and found by the wrong person. Especially witches intent on doing harm.

Magic changed a person, that was true. If he were a Student, it would be obvious, depending on how much control he had. Witches left magic residue behind a lot of the time. Especially if they could only do simple things like use hex bags. Sam wasn't a Student though and he had already casted spells to mute his residue to almost nonexistent. He hadn't cared to advertise his powers, like most witches do.

Sam snorted at his joke. "Alright." He put the papers in the drawer of the small table beside the couch. "Do you have any hunts lined up soon?" He didn't want to outright ask him to stay but he was thinking about it. At least for a few days. He'd missed him and a few hours wasn't enough to truly catch up.

Also, he truly wanted to make sure that his brother was okay, because hunting wasn't always fun or easy. Especially if he was working alone for the last few years. He'd lived in ignorance so far but with Dean here again he didn't think he could it anymore.

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:49 am

"If they're dangerous, someone will figure it out," Dean reassured him. "Probably you, smart-ass." He couldn't help teasing but he really was proud of his brother for going to college and learning these things the way he had. Although he wasn't very well-versed in the American education system, he knew Stanford was a top-notch school and he was still proud of Sam for making it there, even after all the years that had passed and all the things that had changed for both of them.

Dean shrugged at the question. "Nope, not unless someone puts out an SOS in the area or we run into something that looks weird." Sometimes things popped up out of nowhere and it was all-hands-on-deck for the hunters around the place, but they weren't too common outside the more crowded and monster-heavy cities. As far as Dean was concerned, he was free until the next time something weird popped up to catch his attention. That could be as soon as tomorrow or as far away as next week. When a hunter didn't live on a schedule, hunts could come rapid-fire or not at all.

Although the dry spells could be frustrating at times, Dean liked the come and go better than working on a schedule. Of course, sometimes he did get stuck on working a case for more than a couple days, but for the most part he had some freedom with what he did. It was one of the differences between him and John, even though they'd managed to balance things for a little while.