[18+] I'm trying, but I'm graceless [mxm] don't have the sunny side to face this [/r]

From Firefly to Silent Hill and Hogwarts to Middle Earth, roleplays involving television, videogames, films, books, anime and comics go here.
Forum rules
All roleplay posts must be at least twelve sentences long (about two paragraphs) and have a rating in the title.

Suggested Ratings:

G: Open to everyone
PG-13: 13 years old and up
R: 15 years old and up
NC-17/18+: Restricted to Adults ONLY

Viewer discretion is advised
Board Rules apply in all forums.
LadyLizard

Re: [18+] I'm trying, but I'm graceless [mxm] don't have the sunny side to face this [/r]

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:00 am

"So no true," he grumbled, knowing it for a fact. He finished off the rest of his food, piling the plates up but not moving to clean anything up yet. He leaned into the small back side of the stool.

"I spent my first year out here eating Chinese take out, doritos, and chugging coffee," he told him, remembering. "I'm pretty sure I didn't gain anything despite not working out or training. The only difference was that my jaw was softer." All he did was school work, having been ridiculous about giving up the hunting life, and exercise without it. Honestly, it had probably been unhealthy. And not just the cholestorel.

"I'm just not built like you and Dad, man. You guys can get weight to stick. I have to eat extra protein just not look starved since I'm so tall."
When I was a child, I heard voices...
Some would sing and some would scream.
You soon find you have few choices...
I learned the voices died with me.

LadyLizard

Re: [18+] I'm trying, but I'm graceless [mxm] don't have the sunny side to face this [/r]

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:01 am

"You finally picked up a proper diet," Dean teased him with a grin. Coffee was probably one of the food groups, at least as far as Dean was concerned. It was a gift to all of mankind. The news that Sam hadn't gained any weight was hardly a surprise. Even when they were younger, his little brother had usually been hard pressed to keep weight on his body. Sometimes it had worried his family, but Dean in particular had gone crazy over how thin his brother had been while they were growing up. Truth be told, at times he worried over Sam more than John did.

"Just because we can get weight to stick doesn't mean that you can't," Dean grumbled. "This is gonna be my job from now on, isn't it? Keeping you from turning into a walking skeleton. Being your brother is this full time occupation. And it was the other way around, too, when I had all those stupid ideas while we were growing up."

LadyLizard

Sam snorted at that but he didn't fully disagree. At least not when it came to coffee. Speaking of, he moved to grab some more from the pot whilst it was still warm, and shoved the dirty plates in the sink for later. Filling up his mug, he leaned on the counter across from Dean to face him while they talked.

His lips twitched at his brother's next words, one of his dimples popping up. The prospect of his brother sticking around in some capacity and just being his brother again was one he wanted to capture and never let go. It would be up to Dean, of course, especially when he found out about his hobbies (not if, when, Dean wasn't stupid) but Sam couldn't say he didn't want it.

"Yeah. I recall having to bust you out a few times out of trouble, too," he murmured. He learned how to break someone out of jail, quite literally. And that wasn't just because their father taught them. Oh no. Sam was sneaky all on his own. Their Dad never even found out.

LadyLizard

Dean couldn't help staring a moment when one of Sam's dimples showed. There had been more than a couple girls that had admired those dimples, and probably a couple guys too. California was certainly doing well for him. Not that Dean meant anything weird by this strange train of thought. He wasn't even sure where it had come from

"Only a few times," Dean protested. "Like, three. Maybe I couple more. I think it was up to six or seven, wasn't it?" He'd had quite the criminal record growing up, even though Sam had managed to get him out most of the time. A couple times he'd actually spent time in jail overnight, but Sam or John had always showed up to get him out. Sometimes it was both of them, and then Dean had known he was really in trouble.

"Speaking of which, I hope you've been keeping yourself out of trouble out here." Dean did his best to give Sam a serious look, which wasn't very good and was totally undermined by his own record of trouble. If anyone was unqualified to be scolding his brother about getting into trouble, it was definitely Dean.

LadyLizard

John hadn't been happy about his sons pension for getting into trouble and he certainly paid the price for it by having to stay in jail over night a night or two but they always got him out in the end. Naturally, Sam learned what not to do, while he watched his brother do it.

He didn't mind it too much except the times Dean also managed to get him in trouble too. And that wasn't just counting the time he jumped off the roof in an attempt to fly as a child and got his arm broken either. He'd always followed around and did what his brother did despite his best interest.

"12," he said automatically, shaking his head, remembering every instance. He sipped his coffee and watch his brother absently.

Rolling his eyes, Sam shrugged. "I haven't gone to jail, didn't get anyone pregnant, have only slept through half of a semester at most. I think I've done okay. Maybe." He may have blown up a few things while practicing magic but still.

LadyLizard

"No way was it twelve," Dean protested, rapidly thinking back through what he remembered of his catalogue of misdeeds. "Er... yeah, okay, maybe. That time in Texas, ah, that didn't count. At all." It certainly did, even though it had been in the line of duty as far as hunting went. He wasn't really surprised that Sam remembered it better than he did. Dean had intelligence, sure, but he'd never been too concerned about applying it to remembering the past. Truth be told, he just didn't see the point in making an effort to remember most things. He knew the high points of his life and times with Sam, but other than that it was iffy whether or not he remembered stuff.

"You turned into a model citizen once you got away from my influence," Dean surmised. "I'm really proud that you've made it this far but I'm also kinda disappointed that you don't get into more trouble." He grinned at Sam to show he was joking. "Now that I'm around again, I'm sure that will change pretty soon."

LadyLizard

"It was," he said knowingly, sliding Dean's plates into the sink with his own. He snorted softly at his brother's statement. "Uhuh, sure." It definitely counted but Dean could think whatever he wanted. It was just nice to have him around, is all.

Sam finished his mug of coffee, rolling his eyes at Dean, and put the cup in the sink as well. Then he grabbed the sponge off the edge of the sink and went over to Dean, smacking him in the chest with it.

"Well, big brother, while I get dressed and think about ways to do that, you can do the dishes," he told him, smirking, and walked away. His brother absolutely hated the dishes but he knew he'd do them because he'd fed him.

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:02 am

Dean caught the sponge on instinct before looking down to see what he was holding. Immediately he pulled a face and glared at Sam. "How about you keep on being a model citizen?" he yelled after his brother. Still, it was only fair that he did the dishes after Sam had made breakfast for him. Brother or not, he had crashed at Sam's place unexpectedly. The least he could do was help out a bit. Even if he did hate doing the dishes. He hated doing the dishes.

"I'm pretty sure this counts as cruel and unusual punishment," he yelled to the house at large when he decided Sam was taking too long getting dressed. Sam had hardly disappeared on him, but if Sam stuck him with the chores, he considered himself free to complain all he wanted.

LadyLizard

Sam ignored the suggestion and just kept walking to his room. Once there, he fished around for jeans and a v-neck. Since Dean had already seen his tattoos, he wasn't going to bother hiding them. He had only done it before for work not knowing who the hunter was but he generally didn't hide them overly much except when he was cold or wore his work clothes. And that wasn't really out of the need to hide them. Just simple necessity.

He snorted softly at what he heard Dean say even through the door and finished brushing back his hair that gotten mussed. He came out a minute or so later. "I'm pretty sure the macaroni and cheese with marshmallow fluff you fed me once was way more cruel than dishes," he told him, crossing his arms over his chest and raising an eyebrow at him. They'd been kids, granted, but it hadn't been fun to eat. Despite Dean's insistence that he would; he most certainly had not.

LadyLizard

Of course Sam didn't listen to his protests. It wasn't much longer after Dean's second protest that his brother joined him in the kitchen. "Yeah, maybe," he admitted with a sheepish smile. That instance had been horrible for Sam, but looking back on it, it had been a little entertaining for Dean. "If I apologize can I get out of doing the rest?" he asked, picking up the next-to-last dish as he spoke. He hardly expected Sam to agree, and didn't really intend on leaving just one dish unclean, but he was back to teasing as usual and didn't want to pass up an opportunity.

"So what are you doing today?" he asked, setting the plate he'd been washing on the counter next to the others. He knew his brother had mentioned work last night, but they hadn't really settled on any details. Dean wasn't one to plan things out, as Sam well knew, but fortunately his brother was the opposite. It was one of the reasons John had insisted that Dean always hunted with a partner while he was growing up, preferably the two boys since they worked so well together.

LadyLizard

"No," he said without even having to think about it. He just leaned against the kitchen counter and gave him a no nonsense look. Far be it for him to accept the apology now. It was way too late to apologize for marshmallows in his mac and cheese. That was just disgusting.

Sam shrugged at his question. "I have a meeting in about an hour with my boss. It'll probably take about an hour," he explained. "And then I come home and grade papers for like about..three more." He grimaced. "You'd think summer meant less grading." Apparently not, because most of the students taking the classes needed to boost their grade up. "After that, we can do whatever, but I'll probably be tired. Been up since early." He gave his brother a look then. "Unlike some." He smiled though, not truly bothered.

"And you, can do whatever you want. There is a spare key under the plant over there," he told him, pointing at a large plot sitting outside, by the door, through the window.

LadyLizard

Dean almost laughed at the immediate response his brother gave him. Well, he certainly couldn't blame him. Childhood immaturity or not... marshmallows did not go well with cheese. He had no idea what he'd been thinking back then, but it was still a story he'd held on to through the years. Sam obviously remembered it as well, and probably in much greater detail.

He finished up with the dishes as Sam went over his schedule for the day. The news that Sam graded papers for three hours earned him a mixed look of horror and pity. Except for stakeouts, Dean rarely stayed still for extended periods of time. While Sam had always been the brother with more interest in reading, Dean couldn't imagine anyone wanting to go over papers for three hours. Sam didn't seem to be much happier about it either, but as he couldn't think of any suitable distractions at the moment, he'd probably just have to let his brother suffer through it. Although he was sure that if he stuck around it would at least make things a little less boring.

Sam's quip about his late wake-up was met with an answering smile. Dean had hated mornings as a kid, and even John had given up trying to get him to get up early for hunts looking like anything but a zombie. He nodded at the mention of a spare key. "Probably won't be doing much," he admitted. "I was only expecting an in-and-out translation." What he'd actually gotten was a far better alternative.

LadyLizard

Honestly, he knew Dean had just been trying to feed him, and dealing with his tantrums about being tired of the same thing. But they hadn't been able to afford much else but boxed Mac and cheese at the time. It was his own fault for complaining so much when he didn't actually have to. He hadn't minded that much, truly. He'd just sought his brother's attention.

He smiled a little at his brother's look at his hours of work. "I know, but it pays the bills and I can do it here." Mostly, it took long because there was a lot of reading, and because he multitasked.

Sam shrugged. "Figured you might be interested," he mumbled, though now he wasn't so sure. Did Dean really want to know about his life here aside from polite conversation?

LadyLizard

"You sure paying the bills is worth three hours of paperwork?" Dean asked with a look of mild disgust. He knew that everyone did their best to make a living, but he'd much rather a life of hunting than any form of literary occupation. If anyone from their family could manage to pull it off, though, he was sure it would be Sam.

"Well, I mean, if I bother you or something, feel free to kick me out," Dean offered. "Just didn't have anything planned, so I don't know what I'd even be off to do." And that wasn't the only reason he wanted to stick around. It had been way too long since the last time he'd had a proper talk with his brother. Besides, even if Sam wasn't particularly interested in talking until he was done working, Dean was fine with just being with him. They hadn't had much down time together since they were kids.

LadyLizard

"It is, considering I get full health benefits, vacation, and I can still sleep in till twelve on Saturdays," he mentioned. "Plus, right now I'm not sure if it's what I wanna do forever but..it's not too bad. Just helping the teacher." Honestly, he didn't mind doing paperwork. It was a bit tedious but it was okay.

Sam rolled his eyes. "Don't light anything on fire, don't dry clothes too late, and don't let dirty clothes laying around and you don't have to worry." Those were his worst habits or contingencies to the place. Otherwise, his brother didn't really bother him. They'd lived together for years and Sam had even shared a bed with him. He was family. He wasn't going to kick him out.

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:03 am

Work benefits aside, Dean had no idea how his brother managed to do it as an occupation. Still, everyone could do something they didn't like for a little while. The sleeping in and vacation parts certainly didn't sound too bad either. And when it came down to the bottom line, Dean was proud of his brother for getting a job on top of college. He knew some people could only handle one or the other.

"One thing," Dean suggested. "I get to set one thing on fire. Please?" He knew he had no chance of convincing Sam to let him in that respect but he enjoyed the opportunity to be able to tease his brother again. The other two conditions wouldn't be too hard to meet, and they'd been living with each other for years, after all.

LadyLizard

At his brother's pleas, Sam nodded over to a little dragon trinket holding incense sticks and a slot for one to sit on while it burned on the bookshelf nearby. "You can burn incense, I hear it calms the mind," he said with mockingly sage voice.

"But that's about all you're gonna get permission to do."

Rolling his eyes, he moved to grab his shoes from the side of the door and slipped them. "Gonna bring the garbage from the front and grab the mail." He left briefly and came back, frowning at a small stack of mail in his hand, throwing them on the counter after a second.

LadyLizard

Dean was hopeful for a moment when Sam nodded over to the bookcase, although he highly doubted that his brother would let him burn anything in his house. "Incense," he repeated flatly, giving his brother a glare. The tone of voice Sam used only made things funnier, although he certainly didn't find it amusing in the current situation of him not being allowed to burn things.

"Yeah, sure," he said when Sam said he was leaving for a moment. He took the time to get himself a coffee refill from the pot on the counter. Of all the unhealthy habits that he had, Sam had usually had no problem with enabling the caffeinated one.

LadyLizard

He ignored his brother's glare, questioning his sanity because he almost looked like he believed that Sam would actually agree for half a second. "Uhuh," he smirked. "Smells great." Mostly, he used it for cleansing the stink of magic, to be honest.

Once he came in, Sam flopped down on the couch, not having any plans for a few minutes till he left.

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:04 am

Dean bet the stuff smelled great, but he would have been far more interested in a fire of a more explosive nature. Still, it was better than nothing if he got truly bored, so he couldn't really complain too much within reason. Although he probably would, because, really, who didn't want to light things on fire every once in a while? His brother, probably, but that wasn't the point. When his brother came back in, Dean came over to the couch and flopped down next to him.

LadyLizard

Sam glanced over at Dean when he sat next to him and leaned his head back to the couch.

"Gonna take me a bit to get there but I don't gotta leave yet." Honestly, he kind of didn't want to. Despite knowing better, he felt like if he left Dean wouldn't be there when he came back. What if this was all a dream? Or Dean just decided not to want him back in his life after all? Sam couldn't blame him if he did.

LadyLizard

"Good," Dean said quietly. Although he hardly thought that his brother would go to work and not come back, he couldn't help a nagging bit of worry in the back of his mind that he'd be left alone in the house until he had to leave himself to finish his hunt. He could hardly ask Sam to stay at home for the day, but he couldn't help being just a bit concerned, try as he might to not show it. While he hardly believed his current situation wasn't reality, he did think that it might not last long. If anything he'd put the blame on himself and not Sam.

LadyLizard

Sam cocked his head at his brother and nudged him with one of his shoes on the knee. "What do you want for dinner? That Thai place I mentioned?" Might as well make conversation before he had to go. He didn't want to leave things stifled and awkward.

He felt like it was only a matter of time before Dean decided go leave again and he wanted their time together to be good as possible.

LadyLizard

"Thai sounds great," Dean agreed. "Sounds like you've got a lot of good food places in the area." He liked that. Even though Sam wasn't one to live solely off of drive-through and take-out, sometimes it was the best option. After all, hunters weren't the only ones that didn't always have time to make food. His brother's cooking was still good, even if Dean had gotten stuck with doing the dishes.

"We'll have to check a few places out," he suggested. There were probably places in the area that Sam hadn't checked out yet. Dean didn't know how long they had before he got called to some hunt or other, but hopefully he'd be able to come back when he was done.

LadyLizard

"Yeah they're a few," he said, nodding. "Some places are expensive for no reason but thankfully I've sussed out all the good places over the last few years. Otherwise I would have starved. School food was absolutely not what I wanted to live on." Even if it was far from some of the other schools ate but it tended to get repetitive.

"Yeah, alright. I got a few pamphlets in the drawer there." He nodded towards the small end table. "You can look through the ones I usually try before we do."