[HP AU] Fool the whole world, just until I get better [jay/18+]

From Firefly to Silent Hill and Hogwarts to Middle Earth, roleplays involving television, videogames, films, books, anime and comics go here.
Forum rules
All roleplay posts must be at least twelve sentences long (about two paragraphs) and have a rating in the title.

Suggested Ratings:

G: Open to everyone
PG-13: 13 years old and up
R: 15 years old and up
NC-17/18+: Restricted to Adults ONLY

Viewer discretion is advised
Board Rules apply in all forums.
LadyLizard

Re: [HP AU] Fool the whole world, just until I get better [jay/18+]

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:11 am

"Well, you're the only one of us around him," he pointed out, a little bitterly. Remus had spent more time with Harry than even his parents had unfortunately. Sirius hoped to make up for it, though, with time. Eventually, it only made sense, that Harry came to live with him. He understood that it wasn't possible while he was a fugitive, unless Harry wanted to live a poor life stuck inside Grimmuald Place. However, he'd already started making plans before things went to hell, so hopefully that wouldn't last long either.

Sirius didn't like hearing what it was like for Harry but he resigned to it. It was his own fault that he'd been reckless and had lost Harry the little bit of true family he had. It was only a miracle that he was alive right now. And that hadn't exactly been easy.

"I don't want him living there for much longer," he mentioned. "Blood wards, or no, it's clear he's not safe there. The dementors last year showed that quite well enough. Especially if the Ministry isn't on his side, asking him to stand trial like an adult for protecting himself!" Sirius shook his head and rubbed his face at the thought. Remus knew the unfairness, they both did, having had to deal with the Ministry enough in their lives.

He frowned in thought. "We talked about fixing up Godric Hollow on Christmas didn't we?" One of the last conversations they had that lasted more than a few minutes, considering Remus had been working for the Order, and Sirius had been locked inside the house all the time. "I just..I suppose Dumbledore wouldn't stand for it would he? Harry's only safe if he's inside of the wards at his aunt's house. He's not any more safe here as he would be somewhere else, if what he's managed to tell me in letters and what you've mentioned is an indication."

He snorted at his joke, poking his chest.
When I was a child, I heard voices...
Some would sing and some would scream.
You soon find you have few choices...
I learned the voices died with me.

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:11 am

Remus half-smiled sadly at Sirius pointing out that he was the only one around Harry. "You're going to change all that, don't worry. Harry thinks the world of you. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't hate me yet either." Clearly yet was the key word there. Remus had always had a low opinion of himself.

"He hasn't been safe one moment with the Dursleys," he said savagely. "They hurt him, I know they do." A kid didn't flinch from people yelling at him if he lived in a normal home. Remus had hardly lived in terror himself, but the werewolf thing had turned him into a very timid boy whose behaviour had not been dissimilar from abuse victims. He'd started getting over it eventually once he realised he wouldn't turn people by looking at them, but still.

And Sirius definitely wasn't going to get any disagreement when it came to complaining about the Ministry. They'd done a whole lot of backsliding with humanoid rights. Some of the bull they tried was just unbelievable, even to people who weren't affected by it.

"Godric Hollow? Yeah. Might still be dark magic traces but there's no reason you couldn't. I'm sure it's still in Harry's name or something."

He rolled his eyes at the mention of Dumbledore. "I respect the man overall, but this time he can fuck off. Sure, he's safe physically from the outside world. But I think he'd rather have to fight against the outside world and be safe when he comes home."

The poke made him grumble and he nipped in the direction of his finger. "Rude," he said with a fond little smile.

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:12 am

"You think he's still interested in that? He's sixteen already," Sirius pointed out. He remembered his own feelings at sixteen. It had been great to live with the Potters, to be taken in as family, but he had also been more interested in being independent once he left his parents' house. And considering Harry had been taking care of himself for so long it wouldn't surprise him if that's what he wanted rather than being coddled by his godfather. Even if he was Sirius, who was not particularly strict.

Sirius frowned at his words. He knew that they were the worst soft of Muggles, certainly not nice, and definitely not understanding, but he hadn't exactly been told very much of what Harry had to deal with while there. He trusted Remus' judgement though. If there was anyone he trusted to tell him the truth, it was him. Sirius shook his head. "Then we get him out of there, even if we just get him emancipated. That's a load of bollocks."

"I think so. I doubt he knows. He didn't even know he had Potter gold, except for his trust vault, until I mentioned his parent's having put Mum and Pap's portraits in there."

Sirius wasn't so sure how he felt about Dumbledore himself. He'd been very trusting of him over the years, especially during the first war, but there were things with his choices that didn't quite add up in his opinion. Putting Harry with the Muggges, without caring about other alternatives (when it wasn't even his decision to make), being the most important. The fact that he didn't insist on Sirius getting a trial either, hurt quite personally, as well. It wasn't as if the Death Eaters that were caught hadn't had trials. Even Snivellus had had a trial and he was a double agent. Why didn't he get one?

He forced himself to smile a little though, hoping not to have his mood drop yet. "Moony, you cuss? I can't believe this." His joke came out a little flatter than he intended but he managed a snort at his attempt to bite him. "Says the one who asked if I was house trained."

LadyLizard

"Sixteen or six, he needs family. And just imagine all the crazy stuff that you two could get up to. He's been living in the Muggle world long enough that I bet he'd love to show off for someone who's a little shit that'd encourage him." Remus knew for a fact that Sirius would get Harry up to all kinds of things if the two of them bonded.

It wasn't surprising that nobody had told Sirius anything yet. He hadn't been back for very long and chances were they hadn't wanted to swamp him with Harry's troubles right off the bat. "Don't worry, we'll figure something out. We won't let him stay there. Before, I couldn't do anything, but nobody could ever keep you from doing something you wanted." And everyone had been able to stop him from helping Harry since he was a werewolf.

"Dumbledore hasn't told him much. And by now, nobody else really knows how to track it all down unless they had Ministry connections, as far as I know. I looked into trying, but I would've raised five red flags for every sentence of information I got."

He snorted under his breath at the joking question. "Yeah, yeah, like I've outgrown being a swearwolf." Sirius had called him that more times than he'd called him by his name, it sometimes seemed like. Although he cursed a bit less now than when they were kids. Being a professor now and all of that.

"Hey, now. Peeing is different than biting." Sirius should know that as well. He raised his hand and brushed his thumb across the other man's cheekbone, a little too prominent for his tastes. But the man was still clearly gorgeous.

LadyLizard

"Moony, don't act like you don't fit into that category," Sirius insisted, raising an eyebrow. Remus had had more time and opportunity to mature but that didn't mean that he didn't have just as much capability to be a little shit. Especially with Sirius around to egg him on.

He wasn't entirely sure he had as much faith in himself as Remus did, anymore, but Harry was the most important thing to him and he certainly would be trying with all he had. "It's only right someone speaks for him. Sure as hell not letting Molly do the talking, even if she is a good person. She keeps her kids in the dark."

He nodded, having a good idea of it already. It was sad, too. James might not have been a dark wizard but he was still a Pureblood. And he certainly was not in the same league as the Weasley's. Harry"s status in the Wizarding world, even as a halfblood, was highly important. He had seats in the Wizengamot for Merlin sake and he had no clue about any of his duties.

"Depends on your kinks," he joked, managing to smile a little brighter. He leaned into his touch and nosed his wrist as if he were Padfoot.

LadyLizard

"Excuse you, I'm a professional." Sometimes. Remus had been known to screw around even in classes, like a particularly beloved moment with Peeves in front of his DADA class. Of course, there were still some people that were afraid of or wary around him thanks to the whole werewolf disease thing. But a lot of them were just fine with being around him, and some of the more bookish types like Hermione seemed to actually like being around him. Maybe just around his library.

"Molly's good with him," Remus agreed. "She might as well be his actual mother. The whole clan seems to like him a lot, and he's spent some holiday time out at the Burrow. It's when he's seemed happiest." Probably thanks to the fact that it was about the only time that he was around a real family. Remus would rather nest with dragons than consider the Dursleys any sort of family.

"Sirius Black, you are housebroken." Again, sometimes. He smiled anyway, especially when the other man leaned into him. "Besides, the house elves are cranky enough about me having my bedroom like this without you peeing all over the place." That would probably put an end to their tenuous peace even if he apologised for his lover. That didn't stop him from sliding his hand up and scratching behind his ear.

LadyLizard

"Sure you are." He didn't actually have any doubt that Remus was a great teacher. He was smart but not boring, and knew a hell of a lot of Defense. Not just because he was a werewolf either.

Sirius furrowed his eyebrows. He didn't have anything against Molly and her brood. They were smart and in Gryffindor, no less. But that didn't mean they should be Harry's family. "I'm his family though. You are. We're his godfathers and uncles. No one could replace Lily," he insisted.

He snorted at him. "I don't know how you've managed to even let you do this." He closed his eyes at the scratching though, distracted.

LadyLizard

"Glad we agree," Remus said with a soft smile. He honestly thought less of himself than you would guess by his words. You'd have to be familiar with him to realise when he was just making a self-deprecating joke and when he really thought that badly of himself. Sirius was one of few.

"You were an insane, imprisoned mass murderer and I was a werewolf. The Ministry would have rather handed Harry to you than to me. And yeah, nobody can replace Lily. I don't think Molly was trying to, but I don't know. I didn't tell him... didn't know how... especially without making it sound like I didn't want him either." Which hadn't at all been the case.

"It was a monumental battle. I got a medal for it." The last part was totally joking, although the first half wasn't.

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:13 am

"I wasn't imprisoned before," he mentioned, not touching on the other stuff. He'd killed people during the war plenty so not even the murderer thing was off the table. And insane..well.. Matter of opinion.

"Which I still think you're stupid for." He didn't hesitate to call him out on it, not after everything. He planned to be as honest as possible. "Harry deserves the family his parents wanted for him. Frank and Alice..can't be there. We couldn't either. But now we can."

Sirius laughed at his joke. "Idiot," he said with affection.

LadyLizard

"Because that was the only thing," Remus said. They were both murderers if you took a broad description of the term, though it wasn't like anyone of fighting age had their hands clean unless they'd lived under a rock or in a prison cell. Insanity was probably something that had been of concern to some people, though, in all likelihood.

"I've been stupid about a lot of things since you were gone," he admitted. Although not fighting harder for Harry probably took the cake. He just hadn't thought he had any right to claim him, even though he'd tried his hardest. Winning just hadn't been an option for him.

"Asshole," he replied, just as fondly. He kissed him briefly, just because he could now. That was a nice change from the way that the last few years had gone.

LadyLizard

Sirius sighed, because he knew that was true, and didn't know what else to say to that. They had both made mistakes, it was the reality of their situation. He was now, however, more interested in keeping Harry alive and sane. It wasn't like anyone else seemed to be trying for that.

"Anyway, we can fix this. We just..have to do it right." Which he needed Remus for. Otherwise, he'd just grab Harry and go off to the Bermuda Triangle (a real place!) and never be seen again. Fuck the wizarding world. What did they ever do for them, anyway?

He smiled at this kiss, and ran a hand through Remus' hair. Then he yawned a little bit. "We should get up. I'm surprised Harry's not knocking on your door already. He was crying up a storm last night." He frowned a little bit. "Need to talk to him, I guess."

LadyLizard

"You know how to deal with this sort of thing better than me. I could never figure out how to say things the way they should be said." He wasn't giving himself nearly enough credit, as usual, but there was nothing to be done about that. That was how Remus had always been and would probably always be.

"We shouldn't get up," he grumbled, burrowing a little as if to prove his point. There was absolutely no need to face the outside world at all. None. Zip. And then Sirius mentioned Harry's reaction to everything and made a tiny whining noise in the back of his throat, popping back up from under the covers. "Probably, yeah. You'll do great, Sirius, don't worry."

LadyLizard

"The fact that you have so much faith in me is astounding," he told him, a little amused and concerned at the same time. He was generally not the charming one of the group. That was always James.

He smiled when Remus got up at the mention of Harry and shook his head. "Hafta' go to the loo anyway." He pressed a kiss against his shoulder before slipping off the bed and heading to the bathroom.

LadyLizard

"Isn't it?" Honestly, if it were anyone else, he wouldn't. By now he would have known better and would be just a little more pessimistic when it came to dealing with them. But it was Sirius. So clearly he was going to make the wrong choice time after time. Always, honestly.

"Have fun, don't die," he answered sleepily. A bit after Sirius had left, he yawned and got out of bed himself. It was unusual for him to sleep like this unless it was a full moon but he doubted anyone had noticed. Though he would have to ask Sirius what he wanted to say if someone mentioned that Remus had dropped off the face of the earth and reappeared with a boyfriend. Eventually someone was going to point out that it was the infamous mass murderer.

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:14 am

Sirius shoved at his shoulder playfully at the agreement. Remus was such a jerk, sometimes. He didn't understand why people seriously thought he was the nice one. If anyone spent any good amount of time with him, they'd notice that he's a sarcastic asshole. He fit in with the Marauders for a reason, even if it wasn't obvious why. And it had never been because he was a werewolf.

"Again?" He grimaced at his own joke. "Okay. Even I didn't care for it. Too soon.." He mumbled to himself, closing the door to the bathroom firmly, chastising himself. Getting clean and using the bathroom didn't take long. He'd not had a wand so he asked a house elf for a toothbrush and paste, although he was surprised that Remus didn't already have any. He tended to keep some muggle habits, despite not living there permanently.

His hair still needed to be taken care of, but he figured that he'd get Remus to tackle that task. He left the bathroom, making his way into the living space of the professor's rooms. He had been in some before, you didn't become a Marauder for nothing, but it was still weird to see Remus in this room. Everything, from the furniture to the lighting, screamed Remus. He was actually a professor. Sirius was proud of him but he was also laughing at the thought.

LadyLizard

Remus made a casual little grumbling noise at the shove. "What?" he mumbled, smiling a little. He and Sirius had always shoved each other around a little, though god forbid that someone else do the same. Remus didn't want anyone else laying a hand on his Sirius, even if the other man was more than capable of defending himself in regards to, well, everything.

When Sirius made his 'joke', Remus rolled over and fixed him with the darkest stare he could manage. Way too fucking soon. On their actual deathbeds would be too soon. That wasn't a topic that he would ever like to revisit at any time in the future.

He got up while Sirius was gone, yawning and stretching. He grabbed a muggle hoodie from his trunk, wandering back over toward his desk. There were a lot of papers and homework there, but all of that could wait. A good half of the desk was taken up with books and notes from them. When he noticed Sirius, he smiled, not bothering to say anything. They didn't need to communicate with words half the time.

LadyLizard

Sirius bit the inside of his cheek at the glare he received, recognizing the amber in his eyes as something Moony would have, and just kept going to the bathroom. That was a stupid thing to say and they both knew it.

When he saw Remus was up, Sirius stretched, and moved over to him. Not resisting the urge, he wrapped his arms around his skinny frame from behind, pressing his face into his upper back.

LadyLizard

Remus smiled when Sirius hugged him, one hand automatically moving to cover the other man's. He half felt like one of them would start purring in a second. Well, it wouldn't be the strangest thing to have happened. And it felt really good to have him around again, much less touching him.

"Still hungry?" he asked, half absentmindedly as he reached for one of his books. It would hardly be the first time he'd worked with his boyfriend clinging to him. Neither would it be the first time he'd had to get him seconds, though younger Sirius had often been persuaded to go get something for the both of them.

padfoot;
Site Admin

Post by padfoot; » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:18 am

He hoped Remus understood the apology for what it was for his earlier comment. He didn't confirm it with words though and just breathed in deeply for a second, taking in the warm sleepy smell of Remus.

"Hmm." He was truth be told. He felt like he was almost always starving all the time now unless he had quite a big meal. Probably because of the inconsistency of having food or not. He supposed that it was better than not feeling anything but sadness and anger in Azkaban or..the other place.

It certainly pointed out that he was alive.

"Could do with another brekkie, yeah. Think the house elves will make me some of Mum's chocolate cake later like they used for Jamie's birthday? Well, two. Merlin knows you'll inhale a full cake by yourself." Chocolate after all.

He kept the hand under Remus' in place and slid the other up so he was able to squeeze Moony's bicep. He tucked his nose a bit higher, reaching just where his shaggy hair was getting longer. "Harry, breakfast, Hogsmeade, a good shag, and chocolate cake in that order. Agreed?" He doubted it would be rejected.

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:41 am

Remus nodded, completely unsurprised, when Sirius said he wanted more food. That was something he had seen coming from a mile away. Evidently some things never changed. And it was kind of comforting to know that, actually. No matter how much they went through, how many people hurt them, there would be just one thing like when they were kids.

The suggestion of chocolate cake was actually quite welcome. "Mmm. That's a good idea. We can definitely ask. Usually the house elves aren't ones to turn people down." And if any occasion warranted chocolate cake, it was Sirius coming back from the dead, right? He rolled his eyes. "Not all by myself, geeze. What am I, an animal?"

He stopped paying so much attention to his book and turned his head back when Sirius nuzzled him. "Hey there," he said softly, completely relaxed. It was really nice to see him and feel him after all this time. And Sirius, for once, had a great idea. "Yeah, that sounds great." Really great, because Remus had been dying to get his hands on Sirius even more than he already had, for some time now. He leaned back a little, not making the other man take his weight but certainly not standing away from him.

padfoot;
Site Admin

Post by padfoot; » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:45 am

He nodded in agreement, thinking the same. And the house elves had always liked him, anyway. He would also make sure to sweeten things between them as best as he could with Remus and them. The man wasn't going to let go of his book nest but house elves could be particularly creative when they felt slighted. Sirius remembered plenty of ruined shirts (and his Gryffindor tie and scarf one time) when Kreacher decided to get revenge.

Sirius' lips twitched at his question. "One a month, and in bed, yeah.." He couldn't not take the opportunity when it was given to him on a silver platter. Remus knew him by now. Especially since Sirius knew all parts of him, even the ones he tried to hide quite a bit for years. Their relationship, even before they got together romantically, had always been different than Remus-James or Sirius-James was.

When Remus started to give him his attention fully, Sirius smiled, his lips twisting into a lopsided grin. "Hey," he murmured, getting up on his tip toes so he could press a kiss against the nape of his neck. He happily could have stood there all day, no doubt about it, and probably would have not minded if Remus did let him carry his weight. But a knock at the main door startled him out of his relaxed position. He didn't move away, far from guilty, but blinked. "Think it's Harry? Er-should I shift or hide in the room, just in case?" He sent the door a wary glance. He was still technically a wanted fugitive after all.

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:09 am

Remus groaned and thunked his head back onto Sirius' shoulder. "Oh my god, you're horrible," he insisted. But truth be told, he was relieved that Sirius would tease him like that. It made him feel comfortable in a way. "At least you like it when I do that, hm?"

The familiar old grin made something in him turn warm. "I love you," he whispered. And then, of course, someone broke them up. He instantly shifted to put his weight between Sirius and the door, book snapping shut in his hands. Nobody came into his room, which wasn't unexpected, but just who was it?

"I have no idea. But yeah - just to be safe, okay?" He pressed a quick kiss to his cheek and set his book down before going to answer the door. The last thing he could live with was losing Sirius.

padfoot;
Site Admin

Post by padfoot; » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:11 am

Sirius muffled a chuckle in Remus' shoulder, grinning widely at his own joke. It had been a perfect set up. The retort did manage to make Sirius melt just a little more into the other's body. He hummed softly in response. "Always," he replied, not bothering to be anything but truthful. It felt like he'd taken the first breath of fresh air after so long and still hadn't exhaled yet. He was flying on clouds at this point. He was sure it was obvious to the werewolf.

He was interrupted from telling Remus that he loved him in kind by the knock at the door. He didn't hesitate to send the thing a dark glower, silver eyes turning dark in annoyance. "Alright," he grumped, pouting just a little bit, truth be told. He ducked into the bedroom, backing up against the wall next to the door. He shifted into Padfoot and cocked his head to fully hear what was transpiring in the other side of the room, legs ready to run if need be.

However, when he heard Harry's voice, soft and hesitant as he spoke to his professor, Padfoot's tail wagged on it's own accord. He bounded into the room, eyes searching for his godson. The young Gryffindor was entering, Remus having ushered him in.

"PADFOOT!"

He hardly wait for the door to close fully before he was on his godson, tongue coming out to sweep over his face in doggy kisses. When he tasted the salt of Harry's tears, he shifted, arms wrapping around him. His throat closed up when Harry shook in his hold and started sobbing.

"Sirius? It's really-it's-you're alive. You're here. It's really you," he gasped out a sob and Sirius frowned deeply, eyes tearing up as well. He tugged the younger man over to the couch and wasn't surprised when he didn't let go of him as they sat down. Harry was surely too old for this sort of behavior but he wasn't about to deny him anything when he had so little of it in the past. He let him sit on his lap and he wrapped his arms around Harry's shoulder, rubbing his back in hopes of soothing him.

Remus turned to leave the room but Sirius caught his eyes in time and glared at him pointedly. He was not doing this alone, thankyouverymuch. Plus, he wanted to tell Harry about them anyway. Even if it probably wasn't a good time.

"Shh. It's ok, Prongslet. I'm here." He rubbed his back until the sobs subsided but the young boy didn't immediately lift his head up from his chest so he didn't say anything.

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:43 am

Remus was relieved that Sirius actually did what he was supposed to, rather than fussing over it. It was a nice change, to be honest, even if he was worried about who was coming. But then it was Harry, which was a huge relief, and Remus smiled at him. "Hello, Harry, come right in," he invited him. Harry sounded hesitant, and he'd bet that the boy was here about Sirius. And, of course, Sirius came bounding in as Padfoot.

He felt pretty awkward just standing there and watching Sirius and Harry kind of cry on each other. And then Sirius tugged Harry over to the couch, and Remus really wasn't sure what to do besides maybe go and give them some privacy. But then Sirius glared him down and made it pretty clear that he was expected to stay right where he was. Well, he wasn't really going to help this situation at all, but he certainly couldn't abandon Sirius. Or Harry.

Sirius was way better at this parenting and comforting thing, even though Remus had tried his best while he and Harry had both thought that the boy was without blood family, at least, blood family that actually cared about him. He hesitated for a moment, wondering what he was supposed to do to help here, before cautiously approaching the pair. He kissed the top of Sirius' head and tentatively rested a hand on Harry's back.

"Don't worry, Harry," he said softly. "Sirius and I are going to be here for you no matter what, all right?"

padfoot;
Site Admin

Post by padfoot; » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:11 am

Once the tears stopped, Harry looked embarrassed beyond belief. Not that Sirius was going to make fun of him, considering he was crying too. And it was only natural.

Sirius relaxed a little bit into the couch when Remus kissed his head, feeling out of his depths, but at least not alone in this. He was better at parenting somehow but he never felt very confident about it. He hadn't actually planned to be a father figure to Harry-James was meant to live.

Wiping at his face, Harry ducked his head, cheeks red. "Sorry,", he apologized, and Sirius just waved the apology away, pushing Harry's hair out of his face so they could see him properly. It was getting shaggy. He needed a haircut.

"No need to be sorry. I'm sure I don't look any better," he pointed out, wiping at his own cheeks. Harry didn't seemed inclined to let go despite his embarrassment so Sirius just shifted so they were both more comfortable.

He nodded in agreement at what Remus said.

"Yeah. M'sorry, kiddo. I was reck-"

"No!" Harry all but shouted, making him stop. "No..no. You didn't do anything wrong. I shouldn't have been there in the first place. I should have called you on the mirror. Told McGonagall. Something. I'm so sorry."

"Shhhh." It was clear Harry was an emotional wreck so he didn't stop him but rubbed his back soothingly as he spoke.

"I felt so stupid. If it wasn't for me.."

"Hey-none of that. I'm OK. I'm here. It's no one's fault but Voldemort's and my bitch of a cousin."

Harry sighed but asked the one question anyone would ask.

But how? I-we saw you go through the veil," he said, fiddling a lose thread of his pajamas, which he was still wearing, not having bothered to dress to come downstairs.

Sirius sighed. "..How about we have some breakfast first, eh? It's a long story and I've got a lot to tell you besides. We can settle down a bit first. Remus, tea, please?"