[r]baby I'm a dark star

From Firefly to Silent Hill and Hogwarts to Middle Earth, roleplays involving television, videogames, films, books, anime and comics go here.
Forum rules
All roleplay posts must be at least twelve sentences long (about two paragraphs) and have a rating in the title.

Suggested Ratings:

G: Open to everyone
PG-13: 13 years old and up
R: 15 years old and up
NC-17/18+: Restricted to Adults ONLY

Viewer discretion is advised
Board Rules apply in all forums.
padfoot;
Site Admin

[r]baby I'm a dark star

Post by padfoot; » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:33 am

Image The man wore a kevlar vest, not even bothering with a shirt over it, so James shot him in the leg. Ignoring his yell of pain, James grabbed the bag slung over their shoulder, and shoved him back with a hard thump when he fell on the floor.

"Pl-please. I didn't-You have to believe me-"

"Shut up," he snapped, and the guy's mouth shut firmly closed, his eyes bugging out.

"Does anyone else know?"

"No! No." He shook his head a few times. "We-they were at the Triskelion. They're dead. Along with Pierce."

James didn't flinch at the name of his old handler, although it was a near thing, and instead just pursed his lips. He narrowed his eyes at him, keeping the gun aimed on the Hydra agent as he unzipped the bag and rummaged inside of it.

Ignoring the clothes, and random assortment of get-away items, he separated the guns and a small slip of notebook paper, folded up in one corner. He threw the rest back over to him.

The Hydra agent's eyes widened even more, if at all possible, and he wrapped an arm around his bag, crawling backward and making to stand up. His back hit the edge of a table but he had his eyes trained on the Winter Soldier.

"Spare me, please-"

Grip tightening on the gun, James looked away, gaze firmly fixing on a discolored piece of the wall. "I can't," he said, quietly, barely waiting before pulling the trigger and shooting him in the head.

Shaking off his discomfort as best as he could, James moved to the door, not sparing him a glance as he headed to the only small bedroom in the house. Metal fingers rubbed the paper in his hand, unfolding it, and straightening the creases as he scanned it.

This was no use. He wasn't going to find absolution in killing Hydra-however much a part of him wanted to do so. It was clear that anyone who knew anything was either dead, lying to save their own skin, or hiding from their own shadows till the sky cleared. New York gave him the ability to hide for the most part, at least temporarily, but it wasn't going to give him the answers he wanted.

Maybe that's not what you're here for.

James huffed at his own treacherous thoughts and crumbled up the coordinates in a tight fist. Sliding his gun into it's holster, he turned to the walls of the room, and knocked his flesh hand against it every so often until he got to a hollow patch. He punched it inward with his metal hand, shaking off the debri, and tugged out the bag that had been hidden inside there.

Slugging it over his shoulder, he ducked into the bathroom, and stripped out of his t shirt. He needed to buy proper clothes, not just pilfer it from someone he killed that seemed like a similar size. Now though, he at least knew he could afford it, because it wasn't like he was going to the nearest Starbucks and asking if they were hiring any ex Hydra assassins to clean some tables. It wouldn't last him for ever but he wasn't thinking too far ahead just yet. He just wanted to find a place to rest before the night hit. He'd been sleeping sporadically, whenever his body forced him to and not for long, and he was wearing thin.

Once his shirt was off, James inspected the shoulder that Steve Captain America dislocated and deemed it fully healed finally. He would have healed faster but eating and sleeping sparcely didn't help his body do that.

Ignoring the mirror (and the scarring reflected on it), he used his old t shirt to clean off his face with water from the tap, and got his hair wet as well. He picked it up in a loose little bun, the most he could manage with it, and pushed back whatever slipped out. With a wince, he pulled off his bandages, poking at the gun shot wound in his abdomen. This wasn't anywhere near fully healed. After cleaning it James bandaged it properly back up with the last of the ones he'd brought with him.

Then he slipped on the shirt that was in the bag he'd found. It fit tight, of course, but he wasn't busting out of the seams. His jacket came next; a bit threadbare but a clean one that he got from a homeless man who died not too long before he'd found him. From drugs, presumably, if his corpse was any indication.

Putting his few things in the bag, he threw the old one aside, and tugged it on. A small glance in the mirror, finally, showed a face he barely recognized. Not because he didn't know what he looked like, but because he wasn't sure who he was meant to be now. It didn't help that he was scruffy, which he wasn't used to. Hydra made sure he was weirdly clean shaven, even his chest (though he knew that was more due to convenience in case of maintenance). And if he ever had the choice, he always went for a razor first thing. He hadn't had the time or place to do it in yet though.

Double checking he had everything, James made sure his gun was hidden by his jacket, and fished out his music player- Ipod, it was called, for some reason- and turned it back on. He slipped one headphone into an ear as a song started, shoving the door closed with his shoulder, and set out to get out of dodge.

He was barely down the hallway before he heard the squeak of the front door opening. It was soft, but it was enough warning. He slipped back into the bedroom, back against the wall, and left the door ajar. Gun pointed in it's direction, he waited for whoever it was to make their way to him. It wouldn't take long for them to find the body in the living room and come investigating.

...I'll be good, I'll be good
And I'll love the world, like I should
Yeah, I'll be good, I'll be good
For all of the time
That I never could

My past has tasted bitter
For years now
So I wield an iron fist
Grace is just weakness
Or so I've been told
I've been cold, I've been merciless
But the blood on my hands scares me to death
Maybe I'm waking up today

I'll be good, I'll be good
And I'll love the world, like I should
I'll be good, I'll be good
I'll be good, I'll be good..

feathertail

Re: [r]baby I'm a dark star

Post by feathertail » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:24 am

Despite what most people would likely say if asked where Hawkeye, or Agent Barton, was during the fall of SHIELD, Clint was not lying at home sleeping off a food come. He was in Istanbul, running an op. His first idea that SHIELD was now not SHIELD any more was when his backup team turned on each other and then him with a "Hail HYDRA". The last he heard from official SHIELD was his op co-ordinator yelling "Go dark!" down the comms before there was a truly gruesome sound of brain matter hitting the mic.

So he had to make his own way back from Istanbul, travelling under a name SHIELD didn't know he had (that took a while to process) and stay under the radar while he smuggled as many guns and ammunition as he could in; he wasn't going to take any chances and leave anything behind - he had a feeling he'd be on his own for a long while now.

And so, when he got home to Bed Stuy, he didn't hang around, just long enough to grab food, a couple of quivers of arrows (assorted), his preferred guns, and a shitload of ammo. And then he went out to scope out safehouses that had once been SHIELD's, gather supplies and ascertain whether they were still SHIELD or if they'd been lost to HYDRA. He didn't hold out too much hope.

And he was right for not doing so; out of the five so far that he'd taken, all five had HYDRA filth inside. So he wasn't holding out too much hope for this one. Not bothering to break a window and possibly announce his invading presence a little too obviously, he opted for the front door, dropping his bow as he picked the lock, but picked it back up before pushing the door inside. He winced at the squeak; hopefully no-one had heard that, but knowing his luck, there'd be a full squad of HYDRA with his head in their sights right now.

Carefully nocking an arrow, basic razor point for instant kill, or clean, deep wound, he crept inside, thankful for his stealth training. He knocked open the door to the kitchen, exploring quickly, quietly, and efficiently. Nothing. He slipped through into the living room, and... that was a body. He knelt quickly to examine it. A few minutes dead at most. So there was someone here, almost definitely. And this house wasn't big... they'd be in the bedroom or the bathroom.

He straightened, fingers tightening the tension of his bowstring as he stepped over the body, being carefuly to breathe through his mouth; nose breathing resulted in whistling. He snuck out into the hallway, and, yes, the bedroom door was ajar. Keeping his breathing slow and steady, as silent as possible, he once more internally cursed his father for fucking up his hearing. They could probably hear him, but he couldn't unless he dialed up the sensitivity, taking one hand off his bow, and that was very bad for a firefight, could end up with ringing ears, and that he didn't need either. He'd just have to deal with it.

He crept along the wall, bowstring tight, mentally cataloguing all he had on him. Boot - knife; shoulder - gun; hips - two guns; leg - not-quite-healed GSW, whoop de doo; pockets - assorted flashbangs, arrowheads, and smoke bombs, and a full quiver of arrows on his back.

Clint spun around the corner, revealing himself, bow up, string taut, ready for a kill shot, and his fingers loosened as he prepared the shot, but he thought he recognised the face at the last split-second, and though he couldn't stop the shot, he did manage to divert it from the man's head to the gun in his hand, hoping to knock it out of his hand or spear him and make him drop it, but he couldn't guarantee accuracy, not with a diverted shot, which is why he ducked down and rolled through, coming up with another arrow nocked, pointed at the man's throat, trying to recognise him. Any HYDRA agent he'd come across in the past he'd killed, so why was this guy so familiar?

padfoot;
Site Admin

Post by padfoot; » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:58 pm

They were about 6", not too lean if their shadow was any indication, but the floor didn't creak under their weight. Which meant that he was light on his feet, knew how to be quiet. James wouldn't be surprised if the other man headed his way very quickly. His jaw ticked when he finally heard the other's breath as he moved away from the body a moment later. He needed to find out if they were SHIELD or Hydra, first off. There was no way that he'd want to kill a true SHIELD agent but he didn't want to be exposed either. If all else failed, he'd knock them out, and leave them there. Surely it wasn't the nicest option, possibly leaving them to Hydra's mercy if someone else came along, but it wasn't more blood on his hands.

James was surprised when a gun wasn't aimed straight at his forehead; and when the bow didn't aim for his face at the last minute, it became clear that the man knew something even if he didn't recognize him. Stupid, really. If he had even an inkling of who he was, he should have made his shot, because he wasn't someone to point a weapon at. He proved that when he snatched the arrow out of the air, before it knock into his hand, and broke it in half, and threw it off to the side. His own gun kept a steady aim on Clint, moving with him, as James took a step back to make space between them. His eyes narrowed at the bow and it's proximity.

He didn't hesitate, though. SHIELD or Hydra-it didn't matter. He wasn't going to give anyone the opportunity. Knocking the bow away with the hand holding his gun (the metal one), James swung his other arm to grab the man's. His own gun was knocked away in the process, but he didn't much care about that. He was a weapon in his own right and he didn't really needed anything else in such a small space. In the scuffle, his headphone was ripped out of his ear, and swung somewhere around his hips, where the IPOD was placed inside his jacket pocket. Curling himself so he had his back pressed against the other's chest, he shoved him as he pulled his arm around, throwing him against the wall and holding him there by the neck. Immediately, a metal finger shoved it's way into Clint's mouth, pressing down hard against his tongue.

"Open your mouth," he demanded.

feathertail

Post by feathertail » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:02 pm

So maybe Clint wasn't expecting that. He'd expected a hit, to the hand or the gun, or maybe a miss, but definitely not his arrow being grabbed out of the air. Last person to do that, and only one, had been Loki. And that thought made his skin crawl. He didn't protest the loss of his bow, clocking the metal arm where he hadn't before and not really wanting to add a broken arm or wrist to the line or injuries he was likely to have after this brawl. He staggered a bit as he was shoved, caught off-balance as he tried to reach for another weapon, but was slammed into the wall before he could do anything, really. Fuck, this guy was quick. Good as Natasha.

He wriggled experimentally in the man's grip to try to gauge his chances of escape, and summarised them in a quick slim to none, and stopped struggling, resorting to glaring instead. And trying to breathe around the strong flesh hand keeping him clamped to the wall.

His gag reflex announced itself present and correct, and functioning, as he had a finger forced into his mouth; yes, not quite down his throat, but his body had had too many things forced into his mouth to let another in willingly. He also had to fight the instinct to bite down as hard as he could on the finger - that finger was metal, and there was no way his teeth were going to win in that situation. And he hated the dentist.

"'oo migh' 'e int'eh shokin', bu' it's yo' my kin'," he tried to sass, choking again on the last word as his tongue tried to maneouvre in a way not possible, his eyes starting to water a little with all the gagging. "'ey, aren' 'oo 'he chuy vee' om le mews layely? 'ried boo hill my hends- loo, I'm mot HY'RA, I on't hawe a hucking-" gag, almost retch, "fyanide hoofh, pease eh your hingers out of my moufh, 'ey hood hawe beem u' homeone' aah hor aw I 'ow."

padfoot;
Site Admin

Post by padfoot; » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:15 pm

If he was capable of laughing in such a situation, he definitely would have. The guy didn't shut up despite the metal fingers in his mouth, which was just plain ridiculous. That's how you broke a tooth. Or choked and gagged, by the looks of it. He clearly had a very reactive gag reflex. James didn't really bother to translate what he was saying, though he could understand some of it, because he was too busy poking and prodding at all of Clint's teeth. He also made sure to check for any grooves in the man's gums or jaw bone. There were enough paranoid Hydra agents out there to know just how crafty they could be. Not that he could blame them, in that respect, because dying from the poisoning was way better than either being interrogated or possibly tortured. Either one didn't appeal to him. Not that suicide did either.

Once it was clear that he had nothing in his mouth, James let his gaze fix back on Clint's face, finally paying proper attention to him. He slipped his finger out of his mouth and wiped it off on the man's shirt rather than his own. He glared, lips pursed.

"Why are you here?" He wasn't going to beat around the bush. He needed to know, needed to decide if it was worth keeping the guy alive, and if he was waiting for anyone else. He didn't plan on being caught out by SHIELD or Hydra. At this point, he just wanted to be left the fuck alone. Running away without leaving tracks would be much easier if he didn't have to fight his way out.

feathertail

Post by feathertail » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:46 pm

Clint hunched forwards when the finger was removed from his mouth, saliva dripping from his lips and throat raw and rasping from all the gagging. He coughed a few times, then straightened, wiping his mouth. "Scoping," he answered in return to the question, grimacing at the other guy's finger-wipe marks on his shirt, even though it was his own spit. "And resource hunting. I'm on my own now, see?" Probably not a good idea to say you didn't have any back up, but what the hell. He'd dealt with FUBAR missions before, and it's not like many people would miss him if this guy - the Winter Soldier - did decide to kill him.

"Got the news nice and pretty with a slug in my leg on mission in Istanbul. Trying to gather what I can to hide out. Everyone I know's gone dark." Steve and Natasha, god knows where; Fury dead according to the coded voicemail Nat had left him on a burner phone buried under the floorboards in his bedroom, everyone else dead or MIA.

He padded over to pick up the gun, chucking it to its owner, and his bow, slinging it on his back next to his quiver. "Why are you here? And what do you need me for? If I was HYDRA, you would have stopped me from poppin' the pill and saying night night. So what's the game, Soldier?" he emphasised softly, turning back round to watch him, back to the wall, thumbs hooked in his belt loops, pinkies brushing the butts of his own guns.

padfoot;
Site Admin

Post by padfoot; » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:21 pm

It was at least easy to see that the guy wasn't lying. Well, either that, or he was an immensely good actor. James could only see the honesty in his face. He huffed when he was told Clint was alone, more pleased than he made it seem, though still suspicious. It didn't mean he cared to linger around trying to make friends, either.

"Not surprising. Considering," was all he said, letting him go, and watching him. He put his body closer to the door, facing Clint, and grabbing the gun when it was thrown at him. He eyed him for a long second, before holstering it. The guy clearly didn't know when to shut the hell up. He wasn't even sure what half the shit he was talking about was, considering he didn't care what mission he might have been before as part of SHIELD. Or if his friends left him high and dry to fend for himself. James raised an eyebrow at his sudden inquisition, gaze flickering over his entire form, taking in his stance. He wouldn't be surprised if the guy was the sort to get himself in trouble.

"I don't need you for anything," he said, eventually. "You came here." It wasn't as if he planned this. "But if you're going to keep talking, you might as well tell me what you know about me and Hydra."

feathertail

Post by feathertail » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:10 am

"Hm," Clint shrugged, not convinced by the Soldier's claim that he didn't need him for anything. "Then why so bothered about the cyanide, huh?" he challenged. "Why bother keeping me alive?" He reached into his pocket for an arrowhead (he thought this one was silly string) and began to play with it, just for something to do, flipping it between fingers and hands.

He shrugged again, not really paying attention, or so it seemed; his peripheral vision was excellent. "I know you're the Winter Soldier. HYDRA, or at least ex-. You had a man-squabble with Steve, beat him up along with your ex-trainee, Nat, and another guy, with some bird call sign, the copier. You killed my boss, blew up a lot of DC, fell off a train and lost an arm somewhere down the line..." He really was doing a bang up job of fucking this up, getting events in the wrong order and generally jumbling what Natasha's message had told him.

"As for HYDRA, all I know is trust no-one, your closest friend in SHIELD could be HYDRA and you'd never know it." He glanced up at the Soldier, then. "Et tu? You gonna Sherlock me?"

padfoot;
Site Admin

Post by padfoot; » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:35 am

He didn't even bother to hide his look of astonishment. Clint was..something else. He didn't understand how he was just so calm, babbling about who knows what, when he was in the same room as the Winter Soldier. Especially after having had his hand around his throat and fingers in his mouth. The fact that he wasn't dead proved something, but apparently Clint didn't know what that was. And truly, if his conditioning had anything to say about it, neither did James. He was made to kill- he should have walked out of here and left two bodies behind already.

James didn't want to though. The last few weeks had made that very clear to him. He was over and done with doing it unnecessarily. Sure, he'd do it to survive, he was a survivor after all. But the thought of killing anyone who didn't deserve it made his stomach coil in knots. No, he couldn't do this anymore. That was the only thing he was certain of so far, and he was going to hold on to it as tightly as possible. He could have all sorts of names- James, Bucky, Asset, Sergeant, Winter Soldier- and he could forget everything all over again, as long as he stopped killing for anyone or anything. Even revenge.

Eyebrows furrowed, James wiped the perplexed look off his face, and he gave him one that said he thought Clint was stupid. The arrow didn't go unnoticed but he didn't acknowledge it. The fact that Clint knew about his fall meant he- or more importantly, Natalia Natasha- got information from Steve. He managed not to let that tidbit make him tense as he stared at him.

"They did that," he corrected. "I didn't blow up anything." No way was he taken credit for something he hadn't done that killed tons of people when he already had his own list to worry about. Whether the people who died were Hydra or not.

Picking up his headphones from where they dragged almost to the floor, he untangled them, and tucked them into his jacket collar.

Eventually, he spoke up once again. "And you're not dead because I don't do that anymore," he informed him, jaw grinding. It was the first time he'd said it out loud and it felt more of a release than he thought it would. He let out a long sigh, moving to the door. "In any case, I've got all of what was stashed here. Your best bet is to find some place else, maybe follow the coordinates in the paper over there." It was the most he'd said so far and it came out as a throw away; he didn't care whether or not Clint took his suggestion into consideration or not. He cocked his head towards the crumpled up piece of paper he had dropped on the floor earlier. He had no idea why he was telling Clint about it at all. It wasn't like he cared to help him, or make himself look nicer than he was, but it slipped out anyway.

feathertail

Post by feathertail » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:55 am

"Potato, potahto," Clint shrugged when James denied blowing stuff up. "Do you have a breath mint on you?" he asked, patting his own pockets. "Your fingers don't taste the best, and as I said before, they could have been up someone's ass for all I know."

He glanced up from playing with the head, and nodded with a thoughtful nod. "Good. It's not good for the mental health." He padded on over after him, not interested in the paper, really. "Don't suppose there was any pizza around? No? There never is in these places... the heathens." He sighed, and followed James out, humming something under his breath.

"Where are we going next, Buddy? Seems like you know what you're doing, we seem to be doing similar things, why not work together?" He gave his winning-smile-that-never-won-anything, and continued following James, like a bad smell, really. He pulled out a gun to check the magazines, just for something to do with his hands, humming again under his breath, not entirely sure what he was singing along to.

padfoot;
Site Admin

Post by padfoot; » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:24 am

The question actually threw him for a loop. Having come out of nowhere, he only managed a blink at the initial question. When Clint went on to explain, though, James' face twisted into an exasperated expression. He didn't understand this man. That was what he was worried about? Really? James didn't even bother to deem him with a response.

Of course walking away, having thought the conversation to be over, James hadn't expected for Clint to follow him. Bristling, he made his steps larger, putting some space between them, if only for the sake of his own sanity.

Well, whatever was left of it anyway.

He ignored his rambling, opting on that being the best decision. Maybe he'd walk away once he realized James wanted nothing to do with him. Shoulders stiff, James kept walking, ignoring the cooling body to go to the window he'd come through.

The slide of a magazine got his attention, although he'd been careful to keep him within line of sight. His eyes narrowed, piecing what he just said so it made sense.

"I work alone," he said, firmly. Shoving the window open, he was careful not to disturb the small curtain, and ducked down to fit through it.

feathertail

Post by feathertail » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:45 pm

Clint almost pouted when he didn't get a response. "I'll take that as a no, then," he hummed, grimacing a little. "Great. I'll have to deal with the taste of ass all day. And it's all your fault, Buddy."

Being of the same, or similar height, Clint was able to match James' stride even as he lengthened it, easily keeping up. "You know, if I didn't know better, I'd say you were trying to get rid of me, Buddy." He grinned teasingly, bobbing along to the beat of the earworm in his head.

"Yep, you did. But, you don't do that any more," he teased with another grin, unashamedly watching James' ass as he went through the window, before following him. "Besides, you need to learn to work in a team; Steve'll probably want you to be an Avenger. And if you can put up with me, you can put up with anyone."

Once he had both feet on the ground and had checked everything was present and correct, he padded off after James, singing the tune he had in his head not quite under his breath, using 'boop' and 'de' and 'do' in lieu of words.

padfoot;
Site Admin

Post by padfoot; » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:39 pm

James felt his teeth grind together on their own accord at Clint's use of 'Buddy' again. Unless it was different now, that implied they were friends, and Clint's tone just aggravated him. They weren't friends. He didn't even know the guy's name.

And he might think he knew James but he wasn't the man that Steve Captain America or Natalia Natasha used to know. Hell, he didn't even know who he was for himself. There was no one in the planet who knew who James Buchanan Barnes was. He could be all the things they said and more but he mostly just felt tired.

Sending the archer a flat look over his shoulder at his deduction, James was tempted to shoot him in the leg. It wouldn't by no means kill him but it would make him feel better and make him stop following him. Maybe.

"I don't care what he wants," he spat out, bristling at the notion. He was done thinking about him. It was enough for the guy to be in his head, his nightmares, and James rather not also deal with him in the daylight.

He got as far as the fence between the two houses next door before he turned around to give Clint his best Winter Soldier glare.

"You are bananas. Did he put you up to this? Is that what this is?" His eyes narrowed in suspicion. "Annoy me till I crack and go running back to him? That's not going to happen." He looked exasperated, surprised at himself for even snapping. Usually he could bury things like this easily. "And stop humming! Why are you humming?"

feathertail

Post by feathertail » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:39 pm

"No, I'm not bananas, I'm pizza, if I'm anything," Clint shrugged. "This is just me, get used to it, I'm your new partner." He grinned brightly, then frowned. "I'm humming? Huh. Must be an earworm," he dismissed nonchalantly, and opened his mouth to speak again when he glimpsed something on one of the rooftops above them.

"Fuck," he swore softly, retrieving his bow in a second, and fired at the sniper in the same instant, slipping behind James to cover his six as he reloaded, staring around at the roofs, and also trying to keep an eye on the alleyways, ignoring the thud of the body as it fell onto the ground. "HYDRA. Watch it," he murmured, taking out another couple, then rolling his eyes as he picked up the familiar thud of an armed squad.

He fitted another arrow to his string, wishing he'd brought the explosive heads, but he knew past-Clint may have made the right decision; blowing things up attracted too much attention. He picked off his squad with relative ease, the closest one got being several feet away, arms flexing easily, simple t-shirt showing off more than his SHIELD tac suit would abs-wise (so what if the shirt was a little small, and tight? It was comfy, and purple). They were poor shots, the lot of them, and he managed to escape harm for most of the firefight, that is, until pain erupted in his shoulder from behind, a stray shot from James' squabble with HYDRA.

"Oi!" he turned round, annoyed, satisfied for the moment that he'd sorted his lot. "You were supposed to be sorting them out yourself, not letting shots get through." And then he stilled as the cold barrel of a handgun nudged the base of his skull, and a bored drawl ordered him to drop the bow, yanking the quiver from his back and dropping it to the ground. Clint winced as he heard his carefully sorted arrows scatter all over the concrete. He handed over the bow, then, in the confusion, whirled on his heel.

It was a fairly quick fight, but messy, dirty, hand-to-hand, and resulted in Clint kneeling, panting on the chest of the HYDRA agent, yanking his knife from his throat, wiping it on the guy's trousers. He reached his hand up to his face, felt the fresh slice across his cheekbone the man had generously gifted him with, then to poke at his ears. One aid was still there, the other? Fuck knows. He straightened with a grunt, his shoulder giving him grief, then poked at that too. It wasn't a through-and-through, so the slug must still be in there, lodged against the bone.

And yet he couldn't get it without help, or seriously injuring himself. The pains of being shot from behind. He glanced up for James, fully expecting him to be gone.

padfoot;
Site Admin

Post by padfoot; » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:30 pm

Of course they'd get caught. James had been on his way out when Clint showed up unexpectedly. They had spent way too much time in the house (and outside) and someone tipped Hydra off. He didn't even need to look to know that it was Hydra. SHIELD was in shambles and likely not going after him for a few weeks.

Either way, he already had his gun out after Clint cursed, eyes zeroing on the people surrounding them. Big team. Would have been tough if he was on his own, to be honest. For a flash of a second, he was happy that Clint was here, if he was really on his side. Then, he focused on killing them.

He shot his targets, trying to keep them from getting any closer, but knew that some would slip through. He was glad that he kept his knife and gun on him at all times. By the time they did reach him, there were only five left.

He went for the bigger one first, jamming his gun in his chest and firing, not caring what happened to the body as he turned to stick his knife in the guy's neck that got behind him. Unfortunately one of them used their colleagues death as an opportunity to get close enough to shoot. James almost didn't catch them in time, rolling away from the shot, and leaving it to go to Clint. At the back of his mind he cursed, as he kicked the guy in the chest, twisted the gun away from his hand, and shot him in the face.

The last one, of course, was looking at him warily, backing up into the shrubbery of the yard. Clearly he thought he could run. James got to him in two quick strides and wrapped his arm around his neck. He stuck his metal fingers in his mouth and ripped out the capsule he felt there. Once that was taken care of he yanked his arms to his back hard enough to make him scream and shoved him to the floor. James put his knife against his throat, and pulled his head back by his hair to glare down at him.

He could tell Clint was still nearby but didn't bother to look over.

"You tell me who knows we were here, who gave you your orders, and how you were going to take me," he growled. "And I'll kill you quickly."

feathertail

Post by feathertail » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:03 am

The HYDRA Agent gulped visibly, adam's apple scraping the blade. "Strucker," he stuttered. "Everyone has orders to watch HYDRA posts. Take you to containment. After that, I don't know, I'm sorry," he fumbled, eyes widening as James confirmed his promise, blood spilling out over the blade as his throat filled with his lifeblood, choking and coughing as he attempted to draw breath but only drawing liquid into his lungs. He shuddered for a few moments more but then fell still.

And Clint, of course, had missed the whole thing, poking around on the ground for his missing aid absentmindedly, also retrieving his non-broken arrows for use again (after cleaning, of course) because you couldn't waste ammo, especially not now. He let out a small "aha!" at a glimpse of purple on the concrete, but when he got closer, it was just a shard of the outer casing. Great. So it wasn't going to be intact; he might as well not find it, then. He had spares back at home.

"You good?" he asked James once he'd finished prattling around, his voice sounding as strange as it always did when he only had one ear in.

padfoot;
Site Admin

Post by padfoot; » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:00 am

Hearing the name sent a chill down his spine but he resolutely ignored it until the man had answered his questions. He dropped the body without a second thought and went to grab his second knife. He glanced at Clint at his question and frowned deeply. The gunshot wound was what he looked at first, of course, trying not to feel guilty and failing spectacularly. However, the other man's voice did tip his off, and since he had seen the hearing aids-he sighed when he saw he was missing one.

James didn't bother to answer his question, putting away his knife instead, and grabbing one of the guns from him. "You were shot," he said, as if not entirely sure what to do about the situation. He hesitated for a long second, probably longer than he felt comfortable with, before looking at Clint again. "We need to leave. Now. If you know somewhere close that is *absolutely* private, by all means, lead the way. If you don't-shut up and follow."

feathertail

Post by feathertail » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:33 am

"'You were shot,' yeah, I noticed," Clint returned, moving his arm experimentally and wincing. "Take it out, and I'll take you to my place." He turned his back to James, the entry spot evident by the slowly spreading splotch of blood around the bullet hole in the shirt. "I liked this shirt, too," he muttered sulkily to himself. He forced himself to relax as James dug the slug out, knowing tensing would cause more pain, and rolled his shoulder again experimentally when it was out. "Thanks," he nodded, then gestured for James to follow, securing his bow and quiver over his back ready for parkour before legging it up the nearest wall.

He took them a very long, circuitous route, doubling back on themselves on multiple occasions, tripling back once or twice, mostly sticking to rooftop hopping. He kept an eye out as well as an ear, but trusted James to watch his back, and listen on his dead ear side.

Then, finally, he was at his own apartment block, yanking open the door inside from the roof. "C'mon," he gestured, leading James quietly down the steps to his own apartment. He fumbled for his key, couldn't find it, and resorted to picking the lock, thankfully getting it open quickly and shoving James inside, closing the door behind them. "5, 4, 3, 2, 1..." he muttered under his breath, then grinned as his single aid picked up the clatter of doggy paws. "Hey, Lucky," he grinned as his dog rounded the corner, fussing him softly before turning to look at James. "Make yourself at home."

padfoot;
Site Admin

Post by padfoot; » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:57 am

"We really should just be leaving, not standing here," James grumbled in response, but he did what he asked anyway. He knew that it was probably painful, which would make traveling slower, and Clint wasn't enhanced in any way like he was. Absently, he wondered about his deafness, since it wasn't actually anything he had come across before.

Well. Except with one other person, but he wasn't going to think about that. And it wasn't the same thing.

He dug his fingers, not necessarily gentle about it, and managed to grab a hold of the bullet. He used his flesh hand, of course, not wanting to cause any more damage to his shoulder. He would clearly need it for his archery. James followed after him, keeping pace, and certainly staying on his bad side so that they didn't miss anything. He was surprised just how fit Clint really was. He didn't even start to breathe heavy at any point, demonstrating that he was used to running around on top of buildings. James told himself that he wasn't impressed.

James looked around when Clint said they had arrived, and took note of how it was defendable or defenseless, and then followed him down the stairs to his apartment. He watched quietly, almost hovering, when Clint picked the lock, before slipping inside behind him. He gave the place a wary look, but didn't have much time to examine it when Lucky was bounding over. He took a step back instinctively, and curled his hands into fists instead of going for a knife or gun, not wanting to hurt the animal, but not trusting it either. He looked at Clint for an explanation and when he didn't get one, he looked at the dog instead.

It was half blind, and well-a dog. He remembered that he liked dogs, before, but the only dogs he'd been around for years were Hydra's. They didn't necessarily sick them on him or anything, but just watching them was enough to make anyone cautious. They were well trained, of course, which was almost worse. Hydra's orders were never good ones. And they hadn't particularly taken a liking to him. Not that he blamed them.

"Hi," he told Lucky, assessing him.

feathertail

Post by feathertail » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:08 am

Lucky took the fussing very happily, tongue lolling out of his mouth, huffing as Clint's fingers scritched a particularly nice spot. And then another human spoke, and he padded off to investigate as Clint straightened. He wound around James' legs once or twice, then sat at his feet, well, more on them than anything, cocked his head, and looked up at him with his one eye curiously, wondering if this new person would feed him pizza as well.

"Daft dog," Clint chuckled. "But he's a good boy. If he ever gives you the look-" he glanced at Lucky. "And there it is. That's the pizza look. He wants pizza. One mo." He padded over to the fridge and withdrew his last slice of pizza. He held it out as a sort of peculiar peace offering to James. "Give him that and he'll love you forever. And by that you may wake up to slobber or dog butt all over you, but it's worth it. He's cute."

He stood watching for a moment before digging a kit out of one of the cupboards and shedding his quiver, pulling out the used arrows and setting to clean them, sitting at the kitchen table, pretty much oblivious to James and Lucky, his dead side turned to them.

padfoot;
Site Admin

Post by padfoot; » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:22 am

The response he got from the dog confused him. He had never seen them do anything but sit or attack. He could vaguely remember throwing a ball around, something furry colliding with his legs, and tumbling down laughing.

He shook it off and stared at Lucky for a long second as Clint grabbed the pizza. He took it when it was offered (and ignoring the twist of hunger in his stomach) and hesitantly held it out for the dog, making sure to use his left arm.

Lucky of course didn't hesitate to take it. His tail wagged at what seemed a mile a second and he scarfed down the slice in just a few bites. James wasn't surprised when it looked up at him as if asking for more.

He shrugged, unsure. "There's no more." He offered his hand instead, not sure how the dog would react to the metal but also interested to see what petting it was like. Clint and Lucky had seemed to enjoy it. He spared a glance at Clint, frowning because he was just..sitting there. As if he didn't have the Winter Soldier in his apartment.

When Lucky finished sniffing him and nudged at his hand, James found himself grinning. He hesitated for a second before petting it with his flesh hand and stroking his ears back. Maybe Clint wasn't lying when he said he was cute.

"Good boy," he murmured. Eventually, after it became clear that Lucky could stay and expect the pettings forever, James moved to look around the apartment properly. Lucky followed him, and while he threw him a few cautious looks, he relaxed eventually.

feathertail

Post by feathertail » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:33 am

Clint took time to meticulously clean his arrowheads, and their shafts, checking the fletching and patching it where it was needed. Then he shed all his weapons but his boot knife (because he couldn't be bothered to bend down to get it) and left them on the kitchen table. He had weapons stashed in every room, it wasn't like he was going to be unarmed if he was ambushed.

He strolled through into his bedroom, finding his comfier, if more obvious, bright purple aids, chucked his shirt in the laundry basket, then realised he had to actually do his laundry, as he had no shirts left. Ah well. He padded back through, barechested, and looked at James. "You hungry? I'm hungry. I don't think there's any food. Want takeout?"

He flopped into his sofa crease and reached for the tv remote, flicking through his DVR until he found an episode of recorded Dog Cops he hadn't watched yet. "There're takeout menus on the fridge, I think. Either that or they're on the coffee table."

padfoot;
Site Admin

Post by padfoot; » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:49 am

He mostly assessed the apartment for anything useful he should know as Clint was busy. But then he finished and suddenly went off to his bedroom. James sat down on the couch, petting Lucky who put his head on his legs.

When he came back, James blinked at Clint's shirtlessness, mostly because of what he was saying..but also because his mouth was suddenly dry. Clearing his throat and forcing himself to look away, he nodded.

"Alright," he agreed. Moving to the kitchen and smiling to himself when Lucky followed again. He grabbed the pamphlets and flipped them opened to read them. He had never eaten from any of them, though clearly Clint knew Brooklyn's finest apparently if Lucky's opinion counted.

He offered them to Clint, pretty much expecting him to choose. Not because he couldn't himself but because he wasn't entirely sure what the correct answer was. He missed knowing a place like this. Where you know where the bus starts and stops, know the best places to eat, what streets to avoid, and who was a friend or not. It seemed so simple, even though he had lived it for some time.

feathertail

Post by feathertail » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:59 am

Clint's attention was diverted to James as he cleared his throat, and caught him looking away. Was that becous he was shirtless? Huh. He smiled softly to himself, then got comfortable.

"Nah," he waved off the offer of the pamphlets. "I've eaten everything on those menus at some point. Anything that isn't crossed out viciously is good shit. So order away. I know how much you super soldiers eat." He pointed at the apartment phone. "Unless you want to make a list and I'll order it."

He kicked back once the food was ordered, prying his boots off his feet without undoing them, which would be a pain later, but he couldn't care less right now. "So do you really have no questions? Because most people ask about the bow in the first five minutes. Are you just being polite, or do you already know who I am?" He looked at James with a cheeky grin, leaning over to ruffle Lucky's ears softly.

padfoot;
Site Admin

Post by padfoot; » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:57 pm

James looked down at the pamphlets, for a second out of his depths when Clint suggested he order, then he nodded quietly and moved over to the telephone.

He had no idea what he would like outside of mostly sweets-he found out he had a sweet tooth very quickly-but he did want to try pizza again. From the look of the one that he gave to Lucky, it was a tad different different than the picture his mind was conjuring up. Then again, maybe he just liked a certain restaurant?

It was bread and cheese, though, so it wasn't likely to be all that bad.

He ordered Clint's food first, just going for an assorted meat variety that wasn't scratched out, two large pizzas with chicken and pineapple for himself. A serving of pepperoni for Lucky (he figured that was OK and he wouldn't want to eat without giving him some), an order of Mac and cheese, a dozen donuts, and some garlic knots..which he didn't recognize but the description sounded nice.

Once that was done, he sat down across from Clint on the couch, shrugging off his backpack, but simply putting it on his lap and holding it there. He blinked and cocked his head at Clint's question.

"Why haven't we stitched your arm up yet?" He didn't really know what questions to ask but yes, he did have a lot of them. And he wasn't entirely sure that he had any right to ask any of them. It was easier to ignore for now whilst he took out a protein bar and chewed through it. All the talk about food made him realize he was hungry, having only eaten a can of beans the night before, and two bars earlier.

"I can do it," he assured him. Clint might be stupid to trust him but he did-so he might as well make up for the fact that he let him get shot.