[r. Robyn] At the Edge of the Hellfire [18+] It's the End of an Empire

From Firefly to Silent Hill and Hogwarts to Middle Earth, roleplays involving television, videogames, films, books, anime and comics go here.
Forum rules
All roleplay posts must be at least twelve sentences long (about two paragraphs) and have a rating in the title.

Suggested Ratings:

G: Open to everyone
PG-13: 13 years old and up
R: 15 years old and up
NC-17/18+: Restricted to Adults ONLY

Viewer discretion is advised
Board Rules apply in all forums.
Master of Shadows
Site Admin

[r. Robyn] At the Edge of the Hellfire [18+] It's the End of an Empire

Post by Master of Shadows » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:59 am

In the line of the gunfire,
It’s the end of an empire, again, again, again.

He had been born during the reign of the Republic, seen the rise of the Sith Empire, awoken during the final days of the Galactic Republic, seen its fall and he rise of the Empire once more….Only to see Empire fall and be replaced the New Republic…Then, like the twisted Phoenix from the ashes, the Empire rose again as the First Order. Clayton had long since turned his back on the galaxy as a whole and much like Luke, had gone into a sort of exile.

It had pained him, in a way, when Luke chose to cut himself off from everyone. Clayton had seen the man as a sort of nephew, after he’d learned of his existence from Kenobi. After Palpatine’s empire had crumbled and was dust, he had offered to help Luke with the planned Jedi Temple. Unfortunately, Luke had adopted the archaic idea of there only being two sides to the force and declined. He claimed that Clayton’s presence would sway the younglings to the dark side and also cited Clayton’s harsh teaching method.

On the other hand, Clayton had found it hypocritical that Luke remained in contact despite thinking him too ‘evil’ to help with the newest generations of force users. Still, he gave advice when asked…Especially so when Luke contacted him about a disturbing vision he’d had about a student, even going so far as to mention the ‘growing darkness’ he felt in the boy. Clayton had cautioned about taking the vision at face value, but apparently, Luke ignored his advice and everything went to shit. Not that Clayton was really surprised. Anakin had done the same damn thing. Clearly, stupidity was a genetic trait with the Skywalker boys.

So, Clayton retreated to exile. His reasoning wasn’t due to guilt or anything of that nature. It was mostly because he wanted to be left alone and because he was a relic from eons past. Unlike Luke, he hadn’t cut himself off from the force, he was far to engrained into it. Instead, he had masked himself, but kept his feelers out to inform him of what was going on in the universe. Beyond the usual carnage and loss of life, it was nothing interesting.

That is, until one days when streaks of crimson traveled across the sky. Vivid red wounds in an otherwise clear sky. Then, he was on his knees trying not to throw up. A tsunami of jumbled emotion threatened to drown him as he felt the waves in the force when billions perished in an instant. The terror, fear, and panic…Then nothing. Through watery eyes, he looked up at the sky at the remains of a brilliant explosion, knowing something terrible had just happened. It had felt like Alderaan, so many years ago…Except a million times worse. So, so many more had perished. Clayton wasn’t an emotional man, not by a long shot, but this made him want to weep.

A start, an end, a rise and fall.
No system eternal, and no one immortal
Creation; all ends in destruction,
we cannot change the fate of civilization.

He tightly closed his eyes and felt the echoes in the force swirl around him, the waves still violent from the trauma that had just happened. It was one of the few times that he made himself rigid and unbending to the force. If he allowed himself to flow with it, it’d swallow him whole. He wasn’t sure how much time had passed when he finally stood and returned to his home. While he was mostly cut off from civilization, he had a few luxuries. One of which was a receiver that allowed access to the holonet. While he didn’t have much interest with interacting with the galaxy, he still liked to keep up with the news.

Snagging a small datapad, he thumbed through different channels until he found a news channel. In muted horror, he lightly chewed on the knuckle of his thumb as he watched a video of Hosnian Prime destroyed. Tossing the pad to the side, he leaned back in his hammock and scrubbed his hands over his face, letting out a shaky breath. It seemed that the galaxy really was going to shit. In ages past, he would have jumped at the chance to do something, but now? Well, he wasn’t exactly running around with a sassy Jedi Knight with a battalion of clone troopers anymore.

Several days later, he felt yet another ripple in the force. This time, much, much smaller and at the same time, he felt the balance in the force shift. Luke. With a faint smile he gently reached out in the force to greet the man. It pained him more than he cared to admit to feel his greeting batted away. Honestly, it was a shame to see someone like Luke to end up bitter and jaded. He supposed that war and loss could do that.

Kingdoms, each of us reigning
Over the realms of our hearts and minds
Conscious that death is awaiting
But even death will end in time

It was as if the force was suddenly coming alive with activity. Not even a full day later another wave rippled through the force and the balance shifted once more. This time, it was the death of a force user, and a powerful one at that. Snoke. He couldn’t say that he was sad to know that the being dead. Snoke was just another name on a very long list of regrets. At one time, he had worked with the man and offered force visions, thinking that he was planning on another force enclave…But the visions grew increasingly dark and began hinting at Snoke’s true intentions. Clayton chose not to act, knowing that force visions showed alternate possibilities or were allegories; rarely could they be taken at face value. Looking back, Clayton wished he had.

The final ripple in the force caused a stab of pain in his chest, but not from the absence in the force. No, it was who had died. Luke. Clayton had never really been particularly close to the Skywalker or Solo family for various reasons, but he had considered them good friends regardless. It hurt to know that one of those friends was gone. Tentatively, he snaked feelers through the force and found a familiar feeling. A slight smile formed on his face, “Hello, Luke.” He’d leave the new force ghost be, no doubt he would want to catch up with Kenobi, Anakin, and all the others.

Turning, Clayton started back for home, ignoring the steady rain. Hopefully, all the excitement with the force was over for now.

Through space and time
We can’t escape this paradigm
War is coming swiftly... ..You don't know my power... I will resist and bite.

LadyLizard

Re: [r. Robyn] At the Edge of the Hellfire [18+] It's the End of an Empire

Post by LadyLizard » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:50 am

Kylo Ren had become the Supreme Leader, ruler of the First Order, and eventually the galaxy. It had only been fitting that he'd gone through Snoke's things, and he'd taken no small amount of personal pleasure in the being's death. After all, they had had a long and painful history, one that Ren was very happy to have closed. Now that Snoke was finally out of the picture, Ren was going through his records - and recordings - to search for anything of interest. He'd found a collection of holos marked as important, evidently all prophecies, but he hadn't paid attention to many until there had been one of Snoke's death.

It was accurate in physical details, in the Guard slain and the body at the foot of the throne. But 'a spark of compassion'? That was just bullshit. Rey, the scavenger girl, she'd been helpful. She'd been an ally that he could trust, at least until she'd turned on him, clung to the old ways rather than accept that things needed to be new. A pity, really, she'd had potential, and such a calling from the dark side... He'd put too much faith in her, evidently, a weakness that Snoke had believed to have been eradicated. Ren's fist clenched at the reminders of those lessons, of the emotional and physical scars that he still carried and half denied.

He managed to pull enough from the records to get an identification of the man who had been giving the prophecies. From there it took some trouble to locate him in the Metretus system, but Ren had not survived this long by being a man who gave up when faced with issues. Instead he pushed harder, maybe flung a few people across the room, but eventually got the information that he'd wanted. It was a tropical forest moon, evidently, not that Ren could find the slightest lure for the system in general, much less the outpost that this man was evidently living near. But it didn't seem as if he was exactly trying to keep himself hidden or cut off from everyone, despite his remote location. Unlike what he had found out about Luke after the Jedi's passing. Ren had been... not relieved, exactly, to hear of it, but something close to it. A bit less fear in his life, which meant a bit more strength.

Since the rebels had been killed or scattered, he'd left detachments under Hux's command to clean up the mess there. He hadn't been able to feel Leia or Rey anywhere near this system, probably not even in this galaxy. While it wasn't likely that either would surface until they wanted to, he'd left specific orders for their handling anyway. Then he'd put a TIE fighter on a transport and directed it to the Metretus system. By some miracle, the place was even less impressive in person than it had been on the few records. The transport had been sent off from the planet's orbit and he'd taken his own ship down to the surface, landing in the spaceport. Of course, the locals were at least partially familiar with Kylo Ren, and even those who didn't knew what black robes and a red lightsaber meant.

Given whatever he wanted, he'd flown out to the moon after confirmation that someone still lived there. While he doubted the mystery man wanted to talk to anyone... well, Ren commanded no small amount of respect. If this man had answered to Snoke, he would do the same to the new Supreme Leader. Untrained and unaware as he was, he believed himself to truly be Snoke's superior, and had no doubt that he would be obeyed. Landing near the only detected life sign, he paused at the side of his fighter to take stock of the place. Not exactly befitting someone skilled in the Force... but the man in the holorecord had been no Jedi, and Ren highly doubted that he'd changed at all in the years since it had been recorded.
The voices in my head have all begun to sing
(The voices in your head have all begun to sing)
And they sure as hell hope I am listening
(I sure as hell hope you are listening)

Master of Shadows
Site Admin

Post by Master of Shadows » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:13 am

It had been several days after Luke's death when he'd felt it. A small ripple in an otherwise quiet pond. Nothing more than a small fish trying to make a big splash; a small fish unaware of the leviathan that lurked in the depths. He'd sensed the other force user the moment the ship had touched down and while he was vaguely curious, it wasn't enough to rush out and meet the other man. So, Clayton silently observed the other through the force as the other steadily approached. Overall, he was disinterested in the politics and powerplays that had likely occurred after Snoke's death. A brief surface probe had told him plenty. Kylo Ren, the one who had killed Snoke, the one who had declared himself Supreme Leader of the galaxy and the First Order.

His home wasn't anything special. It was small: a bedroom, a small bathroom, a living area with a small kitchen. Built out of a combination of natural materials and synthetic, it nonetheless blended into the wooded landscape. The only hint that there was anyone there was the meticulously kept solar panels on the roof and the sub-space receiver. To the side was a small garden with enough plants to provide food for a single person. Overall, it was a quiet, idyllic place...Designed entirely to lull visitors into thinking the owner was of the same temperament. Clayton might have retired from the war, but the war had never entirely left him. As Ren approached, Clayton took a good 'look' at him. Angry, full of vitriol and spitfire. Yeah. Better go out to meet him; having to repair his door wasn't high on the list of things he wanted to do this evening. Sighing, he finished off his tea and rinsed the cup before stepping out to meet the man.

Despite the near ten years since the recording had been made, Clayton had hardly changed. His hair was a bit shaggier, and he hadn't bothered to shave today. Those were really the only noticeable differences. The decades that had passed since the Clone Wars had done nothing to soften the straight as a rod military posture. However, there was still a lazy fluidness to his steps; a predator amused by the whelp who'd slunk up to his door. In years past, he would have tried to hide his inhuman aspects...No longer did he bother. Slowly, his tail swished behind him, the movements lazy and unbothered.

Beyond his strange appearance, Clayton seemed...Unremarkable. He barely had a footprint in the force and barely seemed to command any power. Oh, but looks could be so deceiving...Lightly, he clasped his hands behind his back and raised a slight eyebrow. "To what do I owe the displeasure?"

LadyLizard

Post by LadyLizard » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:06 am

The home of the local hermit was... unbefitting a being strong in the Force. Small, plain, seeming no more than a simple one-man farmstead? It was nothing he would have chosen for himself or anyone in his command. And mysterious Force user was not what Kylo had been expecting, in his half-human half-alien appearance. But that was of no matter, if his ability to see the future had remained. Questionable life and housing choices aside, the man undeniably had skill from the holorecordings of him, and Kylo seriously doubted that he had mysteriously lost it in the last decade. Once someone realised their gift in the Force, they rarely backslid, and with the power shown in the holorecords, Ren wouldn't have believed him if he'd said he had.

And yet his greeting showed none of the respect and propriety of those records. Ren's anger flared, his hands fisting at his side. This peasant, this nothing, dared speak to a prince, a Knight of Ren, a Supreme Leader in this fashion? Had he been anyone else, Ren would have simply killed him where he stood as a lesson to his fellows, or for simple punishment if they had been alone as they were now. But as it was, the man held some slight value, enough that it would be wiser to know how valuable the man could be before he disposed of him. Yet even if he needed him, Ren would not be forgetting this disrespect. At least he had the damned common sense to keep a military posture out of respect to a military superior.

"I am Kylo Ren, Supreme Leader, from the flagship of the First Order." And this idiot was acting like he had no idea who he was or why he was here. "My predecessor, Snoke, found use for you. "He said the name with distaste and dislike, and a swell of internal hate and fear that would be indistinguishable to an outside observer without telepathic powers. "When I killed him, I took his title. You were someone he had use for in the past. The First Order requires your services once more." And that was all there was to it, in Ren's eyes. The First Order needed this man and so he would do what was asked of him.
The voices in my head have all begun to sing
(The voices in your head have all begun to sing)
And they sure as hell hope I am listening
(I sure as hell hope you are listening)

Master of Shadows
Site Admin

Post by Master of Shadows » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:23 am

Clayton observed the man in front of him, vaguely amused at how such a simple statement had caused him such anger. Temper, temper. Honestly, it bored him. This...Kylo Ren was little more than a child playing dress up. Already, he felt bored with the monologue. It was a trait he had seen in the Sith Empire plenty, but only with lowly apprentices. Any Sith Lord worth his salt knew that a monologue was a past way of getting killed, especially when faced with another force user. As Ren finished, Clayton rolled his eyes and let out an exasperated sigh.

"Well, you certainly monologue like the annoying fuck...And by the Force. Take off that stupid helmet." Without waiting for a response, he focused on the helmet. Immediately, the plastisteel squeaked softly in protest before splitting in two. The two parts separated before rejoining and being crushed into a crumpled ball. "I agreed to help Snoke due to being told lies. Once I found out what he was planning, I refused. Quite frankly, as far as I care, the First Order can suck my dick." A pause before he added. "And please, don't neglect the shaft and balls. Otherwise, it'd be shameful."

The still floating ball of scrap metal that was formally a mask zipped over to the small trash heap. He'd sell it off later. "In short, I'm not helping you kiddo. Try again when your balls have dropped enough that you can come bug me without a mask."