| 18+ | shield of the soul; my life for yours | rsvd for opalsunrise |

Dragons, elves and magic. Kingdoms at war, seedy taverns, ale and barmaids. Honourable knights and clever, quick-handed thieves. Dwarfs, giants and faeries. Fantastical roleplays belong here.
Forum rules
All roleplay posts must be at least twelve sentences long (about two paragraphs) and have a rating in the title.

Suggested Ratings:

G: Open to everyone
PG-13: 13 years old and up
R: 15 years old and up
NC-17/18+: Restricted to Adults ONLY

Viewer discretion is advised
Board Rules apply in all forums.
petvampire

| 18+ | shield of the soul; my life for yours | rsvd for opalsunrise |

Post by petvampire » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:14 am

Things had not gone as planned.

That was actually a rather vast understatement for the truth of matters. 'Not going as planned' indicated that things could be brought back around, that there was some possibility of still accomplishing the necessary goal. Considering the fact that he was currently slung over the back of an enemy soldier's horse like a sack of potatoes, hands bound and head still reeling from the impact of a sword pommel to the side of his skull, Adair mac Conall was fairly certain that there would be no chance of that. The plan was very far outside of the realm of possibility, at this point.

He had being doing his duty to king and country, scouting the enemy's army to assess their numbers. No violence meant, and stealth required, which meant that he had been very lightly armed and armored. The leather of his armor had been darkened with soot, the better to help him blend in with the shadows, but he had still somehow been seen. Adair didn't know if he had made some costly mistake, or if it had just been a stroke of extraordinarily bad luck. Either way, he had ended up caught.

His unstrung bow, slung across his back, and the knife he had carried at one hip had both been taken from him while he had been dazed and only half-conscious. Evidently they wanted to make sure he couldn't put up any sort of a fight. He didn't bother with spitting insults or asking questions, since they likely would only have struck him again to silence him, or gagged him. Best to save his breath for whoever they were taking him to.

It was utterly appalling, being delivered to an enemy encampment like some deer trussed up from a hunt instead of a human being. Especially for a knight. Adair might be young to the honor, barely twenty and having earned his spurs a scarce year ago, but he held it upright as a symbol of all that he had achieved. He had worked for his knighthood, had wanted it and nothing else for as long as he could remember. To have it now, only to be unceremoniously captured, struck at his pride.

They hustled him to his feet as soon as the horse had halted, hauling him by the ropes binding his hands before he could regain his balance. So was he conducted into a tent, a large pavilion that indicated a personage of some rank. Before he could get a look at whoever it was he was being brought before, he was being shoved to his knees, with a snapped order to keep his eyes down.

An order he ignored, gritting his teeth and raising his chin, blue eyes defiantly forward.

Bound or not, he made an effort to appear every inch the knight, straightening his spine, squaring his shoulders. He was a lean young man, wiry with muscle that came from years of training and fighting. He was far more suited to the bow and the knife than whacking at men in heavy plate with a sword or a lance, but he was well-suited to the work of a scout, an archer. Had been, he corrected himself silently, until he had been caught.

"If your intent is to execute me, best be done with it," he said sharply, voice crisp and clear despite his faint dizziness, the ache from the bruise blooming across one temple, the cut from part of the pommel dripping a slow line of blood down one side of his face. The combination of blood and sweat had plastered coppery hair against his face where it had escaped the braid he usually kept it in, but despite his disarray, he held his ground.

opalsunrise23

Re: | 18+ | shield of the soul; my life for yours | rsvd for opalsunrise |

Post by opalsunrise23 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:05 am

The scent of mud, horse shit and blood was a stench that Frederick doubted he would ever grow accustomed to. The encampment was situated between the edge of a wheat field and the line of trees that were no longer owned by his king- they had taken this spot as their own with little effort. Was he needed here at all, no not necessarily his fighting skill deficient in every way - he’d always been a bookworm. Yet here he was in this abysmal field with knights and militia, bent over the war table pretending he could tell a flanking position from any other tactic. His land just so happened to be ten clicks west making him the closest nobleman in the area who could give men supplies and aid. Fucking King and his damnable wars and battles, supplies of his own home were growing bare yet - they continued to beg for his help.

The commander of the King's army didn’t need him breathing down his neck but needed only his expertise and satchel of gold. So why was it that he was in charge of the captive they had just acquired? Did they not just hang them until dead usually, and so why was the commander off doing who knows what while he was told to handle things here? Oh yes- because an order had been given from the King himself that Sir Braddock was to act in the stead of the commander for three days time while this man went off doing some fool's errand!

The curtain of the tent parted and in came men with a tied man in tow. They shoved him to his knees before him fairly roughly, but the poor sod was already beaten and worse for wear before he’d landed himself in the tent, a little dirt on his knees was nothing.

Frederick was lithe and thin, fairly gangling compared to the men who surrounded him who all labored outside with axes and swords but he had a very gentlemanly charm about him. His skin was olive in complexion though his eyes fairly sunken in from lack of proper rest yet- his hazel eyes pierced through thick black lashes making it appear as though he had smudged charcoal around his waterline when he’d not. He’d always been praised for being a beauty by women and scolded by men for his lack of masculinity.

Letting out a hum as he closed the book he’d been peering through to look at the captive on his knees he watched as the knight tried to puff up to appear less fragile and spit out in defiance about quickly killing him and being done with the job. This made Frederick chortle momentarily, “If death is what you want you may have it when we are finished.”

Skirting around the table to stand in front of the man he lifted his hand to shoo away the guard, “I have my own methods for making men talk, you can get some gruel.”

The men stopped looked and pursed their lips but relented far too easily no doubt realizing that Sir Braddock dabbled in the occult and could possibly burn the flesh from their bodies if he wanted. Though that was all just speculation and rumor and he was far from that proficient in black magic.

“So they say you were sneaking around the camp no doubt to see our forces and report out numbers..” He mused not necessarily asking, “how odd they would send but one man…” Lifting his finger to his chin he thought a moment and grunted.

“If you tell me what I want to hear I’ll let you live and go back across the field- if you don’t then we will need to use force. I can be gentle or I can be ruthless the choice is up to you.”

petvampire

Post by petvampire » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:04 am

He did not know who this man was, had no notion of the leadership of the enemy. Adair was not exactly privy to the war councils of his commanders and the more senior knights. He was only a soldier, a cog in the much greater machine that was the army. A bare step above a common infantryman. So there was no recognition as he caught sight of the man who he had been brought before; just defiance, plain and simple.

Obviously someone important, by the quick way he dismissed his guards. But other than that... Adair didn't know.

Despite the all but promise of death, and likely pain to come beforehand, the knight kept his chin up. Lips pressed together into a firm line, his stubborn expression still did not hide the faint tremble of his body, muscles pulled too taut with exhaustion and tension. Perhaps a touch of fear, as well, but he would never admit to as much.

"Do you honestly think I am the only scout?" Not that he had seen any of the others, nor had he seen any of them being brought into the camp as he had. Apparently they had done a better job with the 'stealth' portion of the job. "Whatever I have seen, others will carry the word back to our commanders. I'll not turn traitor simply to spare myself." Bold words, but there was a faint tremor in his voice.

Adair didn't want to die, honestly. But he was pretending to be unafraid. Perhaps the bluff would work in his favor.

Or perhaps he'd just die all the faster.

opalsunrise23

Post by opalsunrise23 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:08 am

Frederick watched intensely as the man before him bolstered courage, it was admirable to say the least. Who could say how he might have fared in this exact situation had the roles been reversed. Though he tried the quiver of the mans voice Frederick knew all too well, it was fear. Fear of death, torture, or all the above, and some how that brought a slight faint delight to his core.

"You have quite a bit of honor for someone who has been deserted. Your commander will not come save one soul, and lets face it if they did you'd get lashings for failure I'm sure." He paused for a moment to trace the edge of the thick table behind him, "I'm not a general, I know very little about tactics of battle or war- however I do know the sound of fear in a mans voice, and the sweat of your brow tells me while you are afraid you wont be easily broken. Pathetic really that you have so much honor when those you serve could care less if you die."

Musing a moment once more he bent down towards Adair and stuck his finger deeply into the cut on the side of the knights head letting out a 'tsk' as he pressed roughly enough for it to keep fresh blood dripping down his fingers and Adair's face. He disliked this honor bound dolt, blinded by some hypocrisy that honor was a way of life when it only went one way. Your lord or king asked for your blind complacency for protection or land but when something happened to your family or loved one's it was never anyone's fault but your own. This war was nothing but a waste of resources and money only to line the pockets of those richer.

"You are a waste of my breath." His finger jerked down and back hard enough for the man's head to have bobbed if he wasn't keeping his neck stiff enough, "though a swift death might be what you beg for I wont forgive your kind- so you and I will be having a bit of fun for the next few hours. I hope you wont mind."

petvampire

Post by petvampire » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:31 am

Honor. It was the thing Adair lived for, the guiding star by which he set the compass of his life. A knight's honor was what set him apart from a common soldier. He would not forsake it easily... even if what this man said had some truth to it.

His capture would be deemed an acceptable loss, as far as battle went. That did not mean he could suddenly just crack and begin spilling secrets to an enemy. There was a circle of hell reserved especially for oathbreakers, and he had no intention of ending there when he died. "If my life serves a greater purpose, it does not matter if they care or not." Stubborn, truly. Stubborn and noble and foolish.

He let out a hiss of pain through clenched teeth as the other dug into his wound, the cut shallow but bloody. Head jerking as the other pulled back again, clearly pleased with having inflicted pain, he gritted his teeth once again, steeling himself to speak. Meeting torment with dignity was likely the only recourse he had left.

"I very much doubt you care whether I mind or not." His voice was hard and bitter-edged, but still firm. "But I am a knight of the Order of Rowan, and I will not fear you." A lie perhaps, but clinging to such an oath seemed to give him some strength.

He had been studying knights long before he had ever become one, memorizing tale of chivalry and codes of honor. For a merchant's son, it had been something to aspire to; he wasn't noble by birth, so the road had been a long one. No wonder he clung so tightly to his convictions now. They had taken up too much of his life for him not to.

opalsunrise23

Post by opalsunrise23 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:09 am

Frederick had no sense of honor or greater purpose. You live, you die, and never how you want to. It was always for someone else, some pawn in a game. He should know he was born with wealth and riches, his father was a nobleman just like he had grown to be. His father had served blindly until he was no more and his mother, and sister as well. All gone in a blink of an eye and where had Frederick been instead of with his family; he’d been at court sucking the cocks of the nobles there who promised him this or that. What had he gotten in the end nothing but an empty house, some riches and more work as a pawn under some assholes thumb.

Greater purpose was a bunch of shit, and anyone who lived by that code was a moron. Eat or be eaten, fight or be killed. Frederick’s body had always been on the small side but he’d amassed knowledge instead. Books were the only thing he found comforting and he had learned a few taboo things as well. Magic users were frowned upon but he had learned to make use of raw talent to incite fear into those who might betray or use him. It gave him no more wealth or power than he had but it did keep people from thinking he was to be easily messed with.

The knight was smart and had a quick wit that much he could tell, it didn’t appear that he was built for hand to hand but still much more brawny than he so hitting him while maybe a bit pleasurable for Fred it wouldn’t take much to tire him.

“You’re quite right, I don’t care.” The blood he’d gotten on his finger he wiped carelessly on the hem of his shirt before heading over to a small chest on the far left of the tent. It was old made with dark wood and held with silver clasps, inside all his books lay waiting for his hands to trace the delicate pages. Though his memorization of spells and alchemy was superb he wanted to find the perfect thing to conjure. A cloud of daggers, a sentence that made you go mad and rip your own skin off. Something not so messy for his own hands but enough that this Rowan bastard would know pain.

petvampire

Post by petvampire » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 am

His eyes tracked the other as he moved, unease still showing in every slightest movement. Hands twisted, tugging against the ropes still binding his wrists, but the soldiers who had caught him had done their jobs well. He supposed it wasn't completely impossible for him to somehow get to his feet and make a run for it... if he wanted to end up skewered or arrow-shot before he got more than a handful of paces away from the tent.

Not that what waited within seemed all that much better.

Brows furrowed just slightly as he took note of the chest the other had gone to. An antique, it appeared, and out of place on the battlefield. The faint glimpse of the books within was even more unfamiliar. This hardly seemed the time or place for a bit of light reading. Unless...

"You are a mage?" The words tumbled artlessly from his mouth, no thought behind them, and they sounded for once more surprised than afraid. Magic was not common in Adair's kingdom, but it was not something to be cast out or shunned; rather, a delicate talent, one to be revered.

He really ought not be impressed by his torturer and likely executioner. But he'd never met a mage in person before.

opalsunrise23

Post by opalsunrise23 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:48 am

As the question tumbled from his captives lips it caught him by surprise. His tone was not one of disdain or fear but of shock and awe instead. Here mage were taboo, nearly always thought to be dark and summoning atrocities. Frederick had dabbled here and there in places he regretted and now his body suffered for it.

Trying to hide his shock Frederick pulled a tome from the chest, running his hands along the raised lettering, "does it surprise you?"

It should considering there were very few allowed to practice at least around here, and Frederick was lucky enough to have the sovereigns blessing as long as he was kept in check which he didn't really abide by. It'd only taken once for the younger version of himself to mess with something sinister before he decided he would need to be more careful. Being self taught was a gamble not everything you find in a book can be used and some appeared one way while done another. He'd taught himself to read runes and practice out of sheer will of his own, and while that might be seen as admirable in retrospect it'd been very stupid.

"You'll have to forgive me I have to find the correct way to deal with you. I've been waiting a long time for someone from your kingdom to find their way to me and you're all wrapped up like a gift. I have to take my time."

petvampire

Post by petvampire » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:55 am

Gaze still fixed on the other, eyes slightly too wide at the sight of the book in his hands, he still gave a nod of affirmation in response to the man's question. "I have never met one with the gift." That the other seemed to be wasting a gods-gifted talent, he would not say aloud. That would simply be inviting more pain than the other already seemed ready to inflict.

Not that his awe seemed likely to grant him any mercy, either. Brows drawing together in a tight frown at the other's words, he focused once again on the man instead of the book. "What have my people ever done to you to invite such hatred?"

It was a reasonable question. As far as he was aware, the reason for their kingdoms' enmity was a mere territorial skirmish. Unpleasant, but hardly reason for such vicious response. This man seemed to take matters personally.

opalsunrise23

Post by opalsunrise23 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:41 pm

The tied man seemed fixed on him watching with almost a sort of reverence and that was somewhat strange. He'd not met someone who was interested with magic nor someone who called it a 'gift'. No this was not a gift it was a tool one that he'd forced himself to learn and perhaps he had some innate talent for it but it was not a gift at all. Frederick's body suffered nearly every time it was used. Nose bleeds, fainting spells, bouts of tremors and temporary blindness but yet it didn’t stop him. No it was not a gift at all but it did the trick at least for now.

Sitting the book down on the table he flipped it open to the front page letting his hands rest there for only a moment until he'd heard, <i>'What have my people ever done to you...' </i>

Visions of his mother and sister holding one another both covered in blood with his father not far away on his back. He’d always remember their glassy eyes and the way that crows had begun to feed on their flesh. A Rowan man had been cut down by one of the guards sprawled out on the grass the rest nowhere to be found obviously they’d left their compatriot to die after they’d done their job. It was a murder that he’d still not figured out the cause for- but it had sparked his hatred and fueled his search into the art of magic. It didn’t make sense that they would put out a hit on such a small fry such as his family but- the proof had been there pinned to dead’s chest; a Rowan crest.

In a rage Frederick slammed the book closed with a clenched jaw stormed over, brought up his leg and kicked Adair square in the chest with his boot, “Did I give you permission to speak!”

All sense of propriety gone now he dropped to level with Adair, grasping at what bit of fabric he could find of the knight’s clothing, “It isn’t your fault to have been born where you were, I’ll give you that. You did however, make the mistake of coming into this camp with that crest upon your chest. Instead of using magic I’d much rather prefer to use my own bare hands.”

petvampire

Post by petvampire » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm

The sudden shock of anger from the other was almost palpable. He had not been pleasant before by any means, but Adair had not expected quite this level of rage from him. The absurd thought to worry that slamming such a delicate book might damage it filtered through his brain - a merchant's son at heart, even if a knight now - instantly driven out by the pain of impact to his chest. He crumpled sideways, falling against the ground for lack of ability to catch himself, startled eyes turning upward.

It was personal, then. Very personal.

He was hauled partially upright again by the other's grip on his tunic, nearly face to face with the man. This close, the rage distorted him - or perhaps that was just the head injury blurring Adair's vision. "You would hold one man accountable for the sins of others?" Whatever had happened to the man, Adair could not have had any part of it. He was too new to the Order. But if others had done something to warrant this hatred...

He closed his eyes for a moment, taking a slow breath. "I am sorry." The words were soft, so strange and incongruous in this setting. He wasn't altogether sure what stirred them from him; there was a strange feeling upon him, a wave of heat washing over him, centering on a pain in his chest. Had the other broken something with his blow? Adair didn't think so; the odd pain was not from the point where the other's boot had struck him. "If it gives you solace to harm one who never injured you, then so be it."

opalsunrise23

Post by opalsunrise23 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:16 pm

Frederick was not one to divulge his past to strangers the rage that was boiling in his stomach though caused his tongue to get away with him.

“My family suffered for the sins of our King when they did nothing! Your life was forfeit knight the moment you stepped foot here- by my hands or not you’ll be in the ground in the morning!” He spat still not releasing the grip on Adair’s tunic. For a split second his chest tightened and released making his breath catch in his throat and all he thought was that he’d over exerted himself.

Adair spoke a simple apology near that exact moment and Frederick let his grip loosen but only a brief moment before he jerked himself free. His body seemed to move on its own dusting his hands as if the dirt from Adair might infect him, “You’ll die either way my conscious is clean of responsibility.”

Still sitting there in a crouch in front of Adair he cleared his throat finding it difficult suddenly for him to breathe, he was hot all over and sweating. Was his rage that inductive of this response, usually not but perhaps he had overdone it. He needed to leave it be- have the guards take care of this person now because was it really his place? Did getting his hands dirty do him any favors, he thought not. Suddenly he was so tired and his throat and chest felt like he’d swallowed tacks, he needed to rest.

Bringing a hand to his forehead he sighed heavily before he stood, placing a hand on the top of Adair's head as if trying to give him a bit of courage. Why he wasn't sure- it just felt like he needed to touch him, "I'll tell them to make it quick you wont suffer."

petvampire

Post by petvampire » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:32 pm

His family? Adair did not know the specifics of what had happened, but obviously something ugly, some horrid past that had forever tainted this man's view of people like him. The knight winced as the other spat harsh words at him, partly in response to them, and partly to the pain - it was not subsiding, instead increasing until it was nearly all-consuming. He almost didn't realize it when the other released him. He could still feel too much pressure against his chest, centering on his right pectoral.

It seemed the other was experiencing some unease as well, though Adair wondered if that was just from the force of his anger. He had seen men in a full-blown battle rage end up in such a state, but only after fighting for a great deal of time, with a great deal of effort. Not fully exhausted from one blowup. But for all he knew, the other had been on the field before this. Adair's scouting mission had meant he wouldn't know if there had been a scuffle.

Eyes still climbing up the other as he stood, Adair's brows furrowed into a frown as the other's hand fell against his head, not a strike but a simple touch. There was something oddly reassuring about that contact, though the man had been threatening him scarce moments beforehand. "Your mercy overwhelms the soul." His voice was rough and strained, halfway breathless.

opalsunrise23

Post by opalsunrise23 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:11 am

Everything burned and ached from the hand that had been resting on Adair’s head to the tips of his ears, down to his toes. Words that were coming from the knight’s mouth now just sounded like a ringing in his head making him dizzy. Was this person a mage as well? Was this a spell of some kind that had been cast on him because this was surely not normal.

“What did you do to me?” He questioned his voice only but a rasping sound at this point. Frederick had never been physically strong and with his use of magic he suffered a lot from fatigue and other ailments but this was different, it was painful.

Something around his throat felt itchy like needle pricks but there was nothing in his clothing or around his neck he was absolutely positive. Still he touched his neck just to be sure- his hands finding nothing there at all just the phantom pain. He wanted to call out for help to have the guards take him away but deep inside his gut it told him that they both were suffering through it. His eyes looked down at Adair who also seemed covered in sweat which he’d not noticed before now and his voice if he could remember correctly from a moment ago was also hoarse. Just what was going on?

Felt like hours passed but soon the pain just slowed to a dull ache and he could finally catch his breath but his neck still felt tight and strange as if something had touched it with a searing iron. Trying to gain his composure which he could only confess he had little of at the moment he cleared his throat which still felt sore, whispering under his breath a short,”What the hells?”

petvampire

Post by petvampire » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:26 am

This wasn't just some side effect of the other's anger, or a result of the blows that had been struck to the knight. The pain was different somehow, heated, as if a thousand red-hot needles were piercing into his skin. Was this some magic? Had the other done something with that book after all? Was he simply bluffing, making some attempt to torment Adair further?

No, surely not. He would not have voluntarily put himself in pain. Would he?

"Me? I-- how could I have done anything, I can barely move--" Besides, Adair was no mage. He had no weapons here. With his hands free he might have fought, but not bound and wounded.

The pain seemed to subside as abruptly as it had come on, leaving an absent ache in his chest. Panting, the knight let himself droop back against the floor, just trying to get his bearings again. Slowly he shifted, managing to get himself back on his knees, looking back at the other man. Again he frowned, this time almost with concern. "Your neck..." what could possibly have struck the other there?

opalsunrise23

Post by opalsunrise23 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:41 am

The knight had a point he was tied up and had barely even shifted an inch since they’d brought him there. Nothing made sense at the moment and while the pain had dulled his mind was still a bit foggy as to what it could be. The knight once more said something and it snapped him from his thoughts his neck, what about his neck?

There was nothing with reflective surface in this tent being that it was makeshift for the time being, Frederick was only here for a few days after all no need for anything too extravagant. He clicked his tongue a moment and bent down again in front of Adair pulling his tunic back from around his neck. “Tell me what you see! What is it?”

Though he tried to sound demanding it was almost frantic. Did some wasp or bee sting him, or was it ants? Something must have left a mark but what it was he needed to know now. It ached still just from his own hands touching the mark. His eyes were trying to peer down also into his own shirt but, he could barely see anything but a small patch of his own chest in the low light.

petvampire

Post by petvampire » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:52 am

The other was closing distance again, speaking so frantically that Adair could not help but look, stirred by some instinctive desire to help. He had become a knight to aid people, after all, not because he enjoyed the blood and the chaos of battle. The almost panic in the other's tone had him looking for a wound, an injury, anything.

Instead, his eyes fell on some kind of... mark.

His vision was still blurry and unsteady from the blow to the head and the pain that had occurred after, but there was definitely something there. Had he been hallucinating, or was he now? It hadn't been there before, he was almost certain. He couldn't quite make it out, but it was something, a pattern that suggested leaves, and somewhat else...

"A mark." The words sounded almost dragged out of him, uneasy. "That... please tell me you had that before. A tattoo, or a brand, or... something." Because if not...

Such marks were not unheard of. In fact, they were common enough; Adair's parents had borne such marks, matching designs in their skin that indicated they were bound to one another. Not by choice, or because they had inked the designs of their own wills. They had been branded by fate.

opalsunrise23

Post by opalsunrise23 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:14 am

Along Frederick's collarbone was a not so subtle mark of a running wolf frolicking in leaves and his tail was made of hundreds of them as well sprouting forth like fire from the tip. A lone wolf with Rowan leaves - how fitting.

"What do you mean a mark, no- I don't have anything like that." His hands trailed along his neck and when he reached the spot his eyes jolted open,"No..no no," His voice was frantic mixed with laughter and confusion, "absolutely not- my family has never had one."

It was true his family did not have any association with these soul marks, his mother and father married by force for power not love. Perhaps they hadn't found their other half or maybe they didn't care to look either way his parents had been clean. His sister had only been twelve when she died possibly too young but of all people why would fate stick him with this thick headed, honor bound dimwit?

"I'll cut it off." He said quickly, "burn it off." If they saw it he'd be kicked out of his home, a traitor. He'd lose his land and title and all that he'd worked so hard to maintain. Should he cut off the knight's also? His mind raced around in a circle, no- nobody would know what the wolf was. It wasn't his family crest but it made sense because Frederick often felt like a wolf without a pack. His family gone, not wishing to serve anyone.

"I'm untying you but only so you can cut this mark off my skin. If you try to run I will stop you myself."

petvampire

Post by petvampire » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:25 am

The image slowly resolved in his vision until it was as if it was branded behind his eyelids. A wolf, running bold across the other's flesh, surrounded by rowan leaves - he knew the look of them well enough, from the crest he bore on his armor and the trees of the grove around his order's chapterhouse. The symbolism alone was enough that he knew now where his own pain had come from, but he had to check, had to see to make certain.

A soul mark. They were said to bind lives together, to mark the one for whom one's heart was meant. The mark was a sign of something greater than humanity's hand at play.

Which meant he was bound to his enemy.

Mouth dry, he shook his head numbly at the other's words. "Even if you remove the physical mark, it won't matter." His voice was empty, toneless. Still, he didn't move as the other freed him from his bindings, and once the ropes were loosed, he did not run. Slowly he stood, nerveless fingers tugging at his tunic and armor. He had to know.

The skin was not raised or damaged in any way, but somehow he could still feel the different. Across the right side of his chest, an identical mark, the leaf pattern scattering from just above his ribs, the wolf running across his pectoral muscle, dark against fair skin. It was true, then; he was soul bound.

To a man who hated him. Who had threatened to torture and kill him.

Still, Adair supposed it didn't matter. A bond was unbreakable.

opalsunrise23

Post by opalsunrise23 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:54 pm

He realized nothing that he did could remove the bond of fate between them yet he worried how he would hide such a mark from those around him. Burning it, scraping off the skin- it would be painful, but would it not be worth it? He could lose his title, his home, everything he worked so hard to maintain. Rowan was the enemy and now he had a soul bond with one- someone who had ties to those who murdered his family and now his livelihood might be effected.

Still in the floor both facing one another obviously in disbelief Frederick watched as Adair stripped his tunic and armor to show the obvious burning mark across his chest. Seeing it there made his breath catch in his throat and his heart skip a beat in a way that instantly made him growl. Something in him was excited to see the identical mark there even when he was disgusted and angry there was also something deep in his subconscious that was happy and that pissed him off.

What did this mean now did a bond with this man mean anything more than this mark? Frederick knew very little about these things and had only heard fairy tales about finding your one true love and soulmate. That obviously didn't apply here because this knight was a man and he felt nothing but disgust looking at him.

"This changes nothing." His voice quivered a moment without his command thinking of the death of this person suddenly made him feel emotional. Clearing his throat he tidied his appearance, running his hands through his dark hair and straightening his clothes, "Get dressed." He commanded.

"I'm going to have them come collect you. You have a strong body- I'll suggest they force you to do labor for us as a slave. You'll work until you decide to give us the information we want and if you continue to be stubborn eventually they will kill you. Unfortunately for you, you're a nobody so using you for leverage would never do."

It was too lenient he knew he would be reprimanded for such light punishment for spying, but this man he knew would never betray his side. His honor ran so deep that he lived and breathed it- and torture though moments ago he felt was needed something told him it would do nothing to sway him. At least with this they would get some use of his body and perhaps it would sustain his life for a few more weeks. They would eventually dispose of him Frederick knew this - at least for now he would remain breathing.

petvampire

Post by petvampire » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:15 pm

The mark on his chest no longer hurt, but he could still feel it acutely, warmer than the surrounding flesh, as if it had a life of its own. Adair did not know what to do, had no words to speak, no excuses to make. All he knew was what the bond represented - and what honor demanded.

The knight had never before had reason to question his dedication to honor and duty. He did was was right, what was necessary. But this... to honor the bond, to serve an enemy...

He swallowed hard. He had thought the trials he had endured to become a knight had been difficult. This would be more strain still.

Bowing his head as the other snapped at him once again, he gingerly settled his tunic back into place, carefully refastening the straps of his armor. Slavery was not a pleasant prospect, but it seemed the other was at least rethinking the desire to torture him to death. Adair could understand. There were all sorts of stories, that it would bring down a curse to kill your soul-bound, that it was a blasphemy of the highest order.

If this man even believed as much. Somehow, Adair didn't think he was much a one for faith.

"As you will." He said it softly, voice tired and resigned. "The bond swears me to protect and serve."

opalsunrise23

Post by opalsunrise23 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:45 pm

Frederick wasn't happy about this development either and the way the knight was suddenly so depressed he most certainly could understand. It wasn't in his personality to give up no matter how disturbed he was that the two of them were now bound together by some mystical force he was determined to break it somehow. Were fate and magic not fairly similar, surely he could find some way to break this curse. That's all it was - a curse.

Clicking his tongue against his teeth Frederick shook his head in distaste at the words that spilled from Adair's lips. This didn't mean that the two of them had to have any sort of connection if they didn't want to- he could easily go on and live his own life couldn't he?

"It is all in your head- there is nothing that forces you to do anything now, get to your feet. Let's go I'll take you myself." He motioned with his left hand for the knight to rise and headed to his side to hold him.

To stand next to Adair, Frederick looked small and weak. He was a bookworm with no physical strength and fairly scrawny in comparison to the knight who had heavy armor on but- he knew he could easily lead this man to no trouble because Adair would no longer fight him.

petvampire

Post by petvampire » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:58 pm

The look in the knight's eyes as he raised them to Frederick was something resembling pity; sympathy, if one was being generous, but that wasn't the truth of things. "You cannot fight fate. If this is what has been determined, it is my duty to serve. You can't just... " He shrugged, grasping at words. "Wish it away, or ignore the promptings of the gods. Whether you want to or not." There was bitterness in his voice then, almost anger. Such an emotion was usually slow to rise for the man, but he had justifiable reason to be angry.

Not that raging against fate made things any different, as he had just said.

Rising slowly, he frowned as the other came towards him. If he'd had his hands free bare moments earlier, before they had discovered the mark, he would likely have been able to fight his way free of this tent, at least, even if he would have been dead before he escaped the camp. The other man wasn't exactly built as a fighter, and while Adair himself was no beast of a knight, as some he served with, he could hold his own well enough. But there was no point fighting. He'd not invite the wrath of the gods down on him, so Frederick was in no danger from him.

Others... no, they would find him no threat, either. To fight now would be to fight against what the bond and his honor required. So he would go docilely, for the moment. If threatened, he would strike back, but for now there seemed to be no danger of that, either.

opalsunrise23

Post by opalsunrise23 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:03 pm

It was almost pathetic how the knight refused to fight against 'fate' or even against his arms as he held him to lead him out of the small tent to the bustling smelly dump of a site. He was completely submissive to the powers that be and it was really annoying, to say the least. Frederick refused to give up on himself and his own desires even with this bond they might have- he was still his own person, wasn't he? He'd find a way out of this somehow he refused to just give up and allow some bullshit theory control his life.

Slowly dragging Adair alongside him he found his way to the pin where they were supposedly going to keep captives. It was a topless pin made of pine that some of the soldiers had hurriedly built. Not the best sort of lodging for anyone, but they weren't supposed to live long. Since Frederick was somewhat in charge at the moment leaving Adair to fend for himself in here was all his decision for the time being. He'd have to go report to the next lieutenant in line afterward but at least until the commander came back he could overrule any objections.

"You're lucky this happened to us." He whispered choking at his own words, "you'd be dead otherwise."

Shoving Adair towards the door he unlocked the brass lock with one of the many keys at his belt side before he forced him to walk inside. "You're too pathetic to find a way out of this conundrum but once I do just pretend nothing happened to you. Don't let them take your tunic either- keep your head down and stay quiet."

Slamming the door shut Frederick sighed heavily, "It could be worse at least I have the power to save your life for now." He didn't know why but he felt the need to reassure him a bit, "I'll be back later."

Once the lock was turned Frederick headed off towards the tent of the lieutenant under him he would explain the situation that he felt that slave labor would at least help them maintain the conditions here at the camp and that he would continue to monitor and get information for now. It didn't go without a fight but- in the end, they relinquished Adair in his care for the time being. They called him a softy, and asked him why he didn't have the gall to kill the knight but, of course, there was no answer but a lie. A lie he had to come up with because it was hard to explain even to himself why this Rowan knight was not dead.

In the meantime, he would need to research in one of his books about these marks if there was any to find. He didn't have his full library so chances of much information would be slim but he was determined to find something.

petvampire

Post by petvampire » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:28 pm

The other seemed to be bristling at even the mere notion of accepting one's fate, and Adair supposed he could understand. If he had lost family to senseless violence, he must think the whims of the world a cruel thing indeed, and now this mark was just another insult added to injury. The knight didn't like it either, but he had done many things he did not favor because duty demanded it. Fighting wasn't exactly something he enjoyed, after all, though he had come to excel at certain weapons. Killing was not something he did when other choices presented themselves. But it was a knight's duty to fight, and to kill if necessary, and he performed it admirably, without question.

This was just... more of the same. He might not like it, but he had to resign himself to it.

He moved stiffly where the other led him, looking sidelong at him when the man spoke in a whisper that sounded very nearly pained. "Call it fortune if you wish. It does not change the outcome." He was lucky, though. This was not the way he would have chosen to retain his life, but escaping death was no mean feat. Even if it had been by a mere stroke of dumb luck.

The pen into which the other shoved him was not what Adair would call fit for human habitation. At the moment, it was uninhabited by other captives; he did not doubt that would change, as the days passed. For now, though, the pen was empty but for him, no one to overhear Frederick's snarled words. "I will endeavor to make certain no one realizes anything odd," he shot back drily, though his mark was far more easily hidden than the other man's. Frederick should be worrying about that; the knight wasn't exactly going to let anyone strip him if he could avoid it.

As the other slammed the door shut, Adair frowned at it, hearing the other's words muffled through the wooden wall. Curious, that the man seemed to think to reassure. Perhaps he was not as immune to the promptings of fate as he thought? No... Adair would hold no hope for that. But to escape utter cruelty was nothing to scoff as, even if his current circumstances were not all that much better.

At least his hands were free, and he had some room to move about. No means of escape still, but slightly less confining surroundings. Stepping away from the walls, he wiped the blood and matted hair from his face at last, and settled down into a cross-legged seat on the ground to take assessment of his hurts. The mark wasn't the only thing he had to worry about, after all.