[jay & marz] My Heart and Lute [18+]

Messy housemates, long hours in the office and nights soaked in alcohol. A friendly hook-up at a bar or dinner with a blind date. Any other slice-of-life roleplays go here.
Forum rules
All roleplay posts must be at least twelve sentences long (about two paragraphs) and have a rating in the title.

Suggested Ratings:

G: Open to everyone
PG-13: 13 years old and up
R: 15 years old and up
NC-17/18+: Restricted to Adults ONLY

Viewer discretion is advised
Board Rules apply in all forums.
notevenloss
Site Admin

Re: [jay & marz] My Heart and Lute [18+]

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:02 am

Aviel settled in to watch the movie, figuring there wasn't much else for it. If he started getting tired enough, he'd head out, but hw knew it wouldn't hurt to be around someone else. It kept hin from wallowing in self pity, which was exactly what he felt like doing.

The moving wasn't boring. He managed a laugh a few times, although his forehead was tight at the edges, like he'd forgotten what it was like. Simple moments like these sort of made the past look sharper. He tried his hardest to focus on the present.
"Marla's philosophy of life, she told me, is that she can die at any moment.
The tragedy of her life is that she doesn't."

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:03 am

Kael smiled each time Avi laughed, and he laughed himself at some of the things that happened. When the movie was over, he yawned and stretched. Then he reached for the notebook. I'm tired as fuck. I think I'm gonna call it a night, but if you want to smoke a blunt with me before you go home, you're welcome to. Handing the notebook over, he stood and got his baggie of weed and his blunt wrappers. THen he held them up in offering, tilting his head a bit to one side.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:03 am

Aviel yawned unconsciously after Kael did, rubbing his eyes, and offering the other man a smile when he turned in his direction. He quirked an eyebrow at him writing and barely managed to lean over and read the message before Kael was coming back to the table with his weed. He snorted, nudging the notebook away, and waved a hand at him.

"I'm not turning down free weed," he insisted. Plus, it would help him sleep, no doubt.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:04 am

Kael chuckled at the response, nodding his agreement. He sat down on the couch again, using the coffee table to roll a fat blunt. Then he stretched before standing and motioning to the balcony. He lit the blunt only when the door had been closed behind them, the dogs inside. Then he pulled out his cell phone and typed on it after passing the blunt.

I gotta take the dogs out after this. Don't be a stranger, though. I'm not the best company, probably... but I enjoyed having you here. He held the phone out to Aviel, smiling a little before taking the blunt back and taking another hit.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:04 am

He watched Kael with interest as he rolled the blunt, but got up when he did too, following him outside. He patted the head of the closest dog when they tried to go with, and nudged them away from the sliding doors just in case. Moving over to lean against the railing, he let out a sleepy yawn, and stretched as the other man typed out on his phone and lit up. He happily took it when it was offered and took a long hit, letting it out through his nose after a minute.

When the phone was passed over, he read it without taking it from him, and shrugged. Aviel offered him a small smile, honestly feeling a little less stiff and more..normal than he had been in months. It was nice, interacting with people that weren't his parents, even if it was hard to get himself to do it. Of course the weed helped too, but Kael's company did too.

"Thanks, me too," he replied, voice low, as he passed back the blunt. "..I uh..kinda needed this, I think?" He ducked his head. "Talking, I mean. Weed is nice too but um..yeah." He cleared his throat, rubbing the nape of his neck self consciously. It wasn't very often that he didn't feel confident when it came to socializing (except for his stage fright) but now things were just..harder..than they used to be. He hated it.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:05 am

Kael smiled a little more as Aviel spoke. He nodded in agreement, rubbing the back of his neck, as well. After taking a hit on the blunt, he passed it back before getting his phone again. Yeah, I know what you mean. You're the first person I've had over here in a while. It's nice to have company. Holding his phone out so Avi could read it, he looked out over the railing of the balcony for a moment.

It was strange having someone over, even if it was nice. He didn't feel like he had to worry too much about being judged, and they could sit in silence if they wanted to. Maybe. Maybe he could ask Avi to bring his laptop over next time, and then they could chat on instant messenger or something. He should probably ask about that now...

Do you have a phone or laptop? We could talk through an IM system or something, if you wanted.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:05 am

Aviel's eyebrows furrowed at that, not able to imagine why he didn't have guests over. He didn't ask, though, and just finished taking a smoke and letting it out through his nose. "Been bored," he admitted. "Not much to do." Or people to talk to that didn't make it either awkward or just plain impossible.

He tilted his head, gaze moving away from the buildings in front of them, to look at Kael's phone when it was offered. He waved the blunt back and nodded. "Yeah, here. Let me write it. And my number."

Ooc: idr if he got his # yet, tho ofc Aviel doesn't have it with him. If he did, just ignore that part.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:06 am

Kael nodded, smiling as Avi said he'd give him his number. He handed over the phone after pulling up the contact page so he could put in all of his information. He took another hit on the joint before turning to lean back against the balcony, facing the door back to his apartment. When the phone was handed back to him, he looked at the information and then sent Avi a text to give him his information, as well. Then he wrote out another text.

I guess I'm going to take the dogs out, but I'll see you later? Text me or IM me whenever you want, though.

A few weeks passed. Kael had begun to wonder just why the fuck he'd given Aviel his contact information because the guy never fucking shut up. It was kind of nice to have distraction, though, and so he got used to it soon enough. They hung out more and more, each going to the other's apartment often and then continuing conversations nightly or throughout the day over IM or text. Eventually, Kael was asked to go on tour with Chasing Tuesday, a popular alternative rock band, as their FOH. He agreed and asked Avi to check on his apartment for him occasionally. His dogs went with him, though, on the tour.

One night, after their show in New York City, the band and crew went to a club to party. Kael drank and danced for a little while, but before even an hour had passed, he got bored. Buying himself a water, he found a table by himself and texted Aviel.

I know it's late, and you might be asleep, but I just wanted to say hi. If you want to talk, we can. Otherwise, good night. I miss you. He hadn't meant to put the "I miss you" part, but he'd sent it before he thought to delete it. Oh well. It wasn't like friends couldn't miss each other, and they'd been hanging out almost every day before he'd gone on the tour.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:07 am

He took the text as one last dismissal and nodded with a smile. He was tempted to go home the way he came but he wasn't sure if Kael was going to physically stop him or something.

The next few weeks were both great and a bummer. It was getting easier, day by day. He could watch TV without wanting to punch the screen. He practiced trying to figure out how loud or softly he was talking by looking in the mirror.

However, what wasn't easy was turning around, with the intention of telling his best friend, no-his brother something, only to realize he wasn't there.

He didn't even look at his notebooks and trying to read the book for his ASL class (no practical work yet) always gave him a headache.

Talking to Kael, though, was a good distraction. Since he didn't know him before, he didn't have any expectations or anything to compare it to. He knew it wasn't fair that he was avoiding his other friends, who were probably grieving too, but he couldn't help it. In the mean time, he went a little over board in messaging and IMing Kael.

He figured that if he had a problem with it, he would tell him to stop. Until then, he'd carry on happily, so he didn't have to focus on how alone he felt.

Thankfully that Saturday he didn't have ASL class. On Friday he went to work from 8 to 6 (where his coworker made two bookmarks into a sign for him to wear that said "I'm deaf and I know you're talking too loud. This is a bookstore, not a frat house".) Late that evening, though, he had no plans. After browsing the internet and resolutely not looking for music, he took a shower.

He was dozing, almost asleep, when his phone went off. Kael was working more than not so he didn't expect a text but he was glad for it. Switching to IM instead, he opened up a chat box. The last part of Kael's message just seemed amusing. He didn't think it was meant to be more than friendly.

Hey. What's up? Aren't you working tonight? He flopped back down on his nest of blankets and waited for a reply.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:07 am

Kael fiddled with his bottle's label, the cap taken away when they sold it to him. When his phone chirped, he didn't hear it because it was so loud in the club, but he saw the IM soon after since he had checked to see if he'd gotten a response. Seeing the IM made him smile immediately.

We're done for the night. We have everything loaded up, even. We've been at this club for an hour, but it's so fucking boring. We've got a day off here before we have to head to the next city... I'm thinking about blowing off the other guys and heading out to see Times Square at night. It's so cool to see. Have you ever been here?

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:08 am

Avi yawned, glad at least, that he didn't have work tomorrow. There were others who worked part time on the weekends which meant they didn't need him around. Stretching, he looked at the chatbox when a message came in.

Hearing all the places that Kael was interesting. He lived vicariously through him for his exciting life.

You should. And take pics for me.

No. Lived in mass till I was 15, then came here. Haven't left since.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Kael read the responses, taking a drink of his water before typing a reply.

Want me to put you on video and take you on a tour of Times Square? he asked.

You need to get out and live, man. See the world. There's way better places than fucking Chicago. He went to his messages, texting the crew and the band to tell them he was going for a walk and that he'd meet them at the hotel, and then he finished his water as he headed for the door of the club.

I could do the same tomorrow with some of the city before we leave to head to the next city. If you wanted.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Aviel tugged his covers over, flopping on his side, so he could write, but be comfortable too. He was surprised at the request, but he probably shouldn't have been. Kael was always interested in sharing. Which was nice, considering he couldn't ignore his enthusiasm as he could with others.

If you want to. Of course he did, he offered. When I have the money, I plan to. He had no idea why they would rather 'hang out' with him rather than the other crew members and a club full of people but Aviel wasn't about to complain. He was by far less bored this way.

that'd be great, honestly.

times square sounds great but where you get your weed is probably more important!

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:09 am

Where is the one place you want to go more than any other place in the world? he asked, curious on what the answer would be even though he didn't want to admit it. His now empty water bottle was thrown away, and he left the club, heading down a street toward Times Square. They weren't very far from it, and he had been to this city so many times that he knew it well.

Laughing when he saw the last IM, Kael smiled.

i don't have to worry about getting it. there's always a substantial amount of weed when doing this shit. some of the guys like coke, too, but i tend to stay away from that. video request coming in a minute.

After he made it to Times Square, he sent a video request to Aviel.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:09 am

Aviel actually had to think about that answer, since he had never really entertained the thought before. He found that it had to do a lot with the people, more than anything, and while he wanted to joke and say Antarctica, he wasn't actually that antisocial.

Italy. He eventually replied. just seems beautiful there, idk. He'd only seen things online or in movies, so it was just from that sort of perspective. He did know that it was beautiful, though.

lucky you

When the video request came through, Aviel took the opportunity to turn on the bedside lamp. He accepted it and grinned. "Hey."

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:10 am

It IS beautiful. I hope you get to go there one day. I think you'd like riding on a gondola.

When Aviel accepted the request, Kael smiled. He was... maybe starting to like seeing Avi's face on a regular basis. He waved, then typed quickly on his phone.

Welcome to Times Square.

Once that message was sent, he turned the phone so Aviel could see the area, walking and showing him the lights and the crowds.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:10 am

It wasn't any sort of experience he ever had before, because he physically knew Kael, but watching Times Square was unreal. It looked similar to how it did on TV but it held a whole knew light from his friend's perspective.

He would have enjoyed hearing the video, something that made bite the inside of his cheek, not wanting to frown when he was meant to be happy. He tried to focus on Kael and the lights on the screen instead.

"It looks so cool," he managed to say, voice soft. "Thanks."

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:11 am

Kael smiled a little when he heard Aviel speak. I wish you were here with me. i'd love to show you around, take you to all the coolest places.

He continued showing him around, occasionally typing something to have a conversation.

After a while, he stopped at a McDonalds and ordered a drink and some food, then found a table in the corner and sat down.

so what've you been up to while i've been gone? anything fun?

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:11 am

Aviel flicked his gaze briefly to the chat window. He was distracted by the next thing he could see on the stream so he didn't bother to reply. His smile was probably enough of an answer, anyway. He replied every so often himself, sitting up a bit eventually so he was pressed back into his pillows with the laptop on his lap.

When they "arrived" at Mcdonald's, Aviel couldn't help himself. "Get me a Big Mac," he insisted, with an amused snort. You've made me hungry now

The question made him shrug. Not much. Work, mostly. I've got these stupid ASL classes now though. :|

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:12 am

Kael couldn't help but laugh at Aviel's insistence. He ordered two Big Macs (with extra sauce because fuck if he didn't love that), a ten-piece chicken nugget, and a drink.

I'll split it 50/50.

Smiling some, he sat down with his order and settled in the booth.

When do the ASL classes start? You'll have to teach me what you learn.

He sipped his drink and then opened up his sweet and sour sauce, dipping a nugget in it as he waited for a response from Avi.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Aviel groaned when he did buy two. "You're not eating all that," he protested, a little too loudly. The trip from NY wasn't far. He could bring it to him, right? Not really but he did really want one now.

Why doesn't McDonalds deliver late at night? Not fair.

Haha. He rolled his eyes. Bringing it to me before it gets cold, are you?

Aviel huffed at the question, rubbing his face, and pushing his hair back. Every other Saturday. Next week is the next one.

notevenloss
Site Admin

I most definitely am. You know I can eat a ton. Smirking at the camera on his phone, Kael took a bite of the chicken nugget. After he'd eaten the entire nugget, he rested his chin in the palm of his hand, still looking at the phone in his other hand.

I'll buy you another one when I get back in town and personally deliver it to your doorstep.

And nice! Why do you look so frustrated by it, though? i think it'd be pretty cool.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:13 am

Aviel scoffed, because he knew it was true, but he wanted one for himself. He'd got a mcdouble the other day with some extra change but hadn't gotten paid till today. And it was too late to get anything now, even if the check got accepted.

Sliding the laptop upward, he pressed his face against the pillow. He snorted at the promise. "I'll hold you to that." He would too. The other man was generous so he wouldn't even feel guilty. Not that there was much to make him that way anyway.

Aviel shook his head at that. "No," he grumped, groping for the keyboard. Not when you're forced to because you lose about 90% of the population to talk to so you need to find new deaf friends. If he sounded bitter it was because he was.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:14 am

Kael watched Aviel, smiling as he did so. "You're cute," he mused aloud, only to frown when he realized he'd said it. Thankfully, it was when Avi had his face hidden in his pillow, and so he couldn't see or hear him say it. Why had he said it in the first place?! Taking a bite of his first Big Mac, he read the response he received.

I'm not deaf, and you talk constantly to me.

Kael tilted his head. i can only imagine how hard it is. but i think you're being a little too hard on yourself. i'm not deaf, but i'm still your friend. we communicate pretty well, right?

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:14 am

He heard nothing, of course, and simply squinted up at the computer when he replied to him. It was better from this angle at least, propped up on a pillow. He let his feet dangle off the bed and raised an eyebrow at him.

Not the same.

Of course they communicated well but that didn't mean that he was like that with everyone else. He felt uncomfortable, trying to interact with people, now.

Aviel rolled his eyes. you didn't know me BEFORE.