[jay & marz] My Heart and Lute [18+]

Messy housemates, long hours in the office and nights soaked in alcohol. A friendly hook-up at a bar or dinner with a blind date. Any other slice-of-life roleplays go here.
Forum rules
All roleplay posts must be at least twelve sentences long (about two paragraphs) and have a rating in the title.

Suggested Ratings:

G: Open to everyone
PG-13: 13 years old and up
R: 15 years old and up
NC-17/18+: Restricted to Adults ONLY

Viewer discretion is advised
Board Rules apply in all forums.
notevenloss
Site Admin

[jay & marz] My Heart and Lute [18+]

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:59 am

Another lover hits the universe
The circle is broken
But with Death comes Rebirth
And like all lovers and sad people
I am a poet

"Sometimes people are born with their eyes in the stars.
With their voices drowned out by the sounds of the ocean.

Their heads under water, lungs collapsed and small, until the only sound they make is dying. They seek comfort in the living, in the racous laughter of the blind and ignorant. It's a fantasy.

Sometimes people are born with their ears plugged, their mouths shut, and hearts broken.

They say "It's in our darkest moments, that we must focus to see the light" but if you can't feel it then how do you follow? Is it like the sun, warm and bright on your cheeks? Or like the silver moon, seeping into your bones, and freezing you?

Sometimes we're born knowing who we are. Sometimes we're drowning and sometimes we grow gills; our bodies change and we save ourselves."

The room exploded into applause, some of the people in the front saluting him with their drinks and whistling. Aviel ducked his head, a stray lock of curly hair falling over his face. He nodded, a sheepish smile coming over him, and ducked off the stage. He was far from used to the attention and praise and in such a small intimate room it made him a little claustrophobic. Once he was passed the small section of curtains, Aviel leaned against the wall, and let out a long breath he'd been holding, and closed his eyes.

Someone smelling like old spice came to stand next to him but they didn't say anything. Mike knew better than to do so; instead his arm was squeezed at the shoulder and Aviel was given a small smile once his eyes finally opened.

"That was good. Seriously, Avi. First time for everything, right? Short and sweet," he reminded him. Aviel rubbed his face and nodded, getting his point but still coming down from the adrenaline.

"You sure I didn't botch it?"

"Course not," Mike insisted, moving to stand in front of him, towering over him enough that Aviel had to look up at him to meet his gaze. There was already someone else on stage speaking and the small room had gone quiet listening. Aviel relaxed considerably and leaned against his friend in front of him, who wrapped an arm loosely around his shoulders and patted his back.

"Thanks, Mike. How about we get out of here before I throw up? I think I need a drink," he told him. The blond man laughed but tugged him towards the exit, bypassing a group of people standing in the back to head out the main door quietly. The cold air made Aviel shiver but he ducked away from Mike's hold and pushed down his long sleeves from his elbows.

"Lucy's?" The blond asked as he made his way to the car parked a block away. The streets were quiet in that part of town, the noises inside the small cafe they'd been in completely blocked off.

Aviel nodded and got into the passenger seat, kicking his feet up onto the dash once he got comfortable. Mike didn't hesitate to slap his closest knee once the car was started.

"Don't fucking do that, Keates. You scratch her, I kill you," he grumbled. Aviel rolled his eyes but put his feet down as his friend wanted. The car pulled out of the side of the street and Aviel fiddled with the radio till he found something to listen to.

"Think maybe Jessie will be there?" He spoke loud enough to be heard over the music.

Mike snorted. "Isn't she always? She practically lives there. Plus, she's dating one of the bartenders," he relied. Aviel raised an eyebrow and shook his head. Instead of continuing that line of conversation, he focused on the music, and sat back in the seat. They stopped a red light, finally getting to a busier section of town.
"-your bitter heart cold to the touch
now I'm gonna rea what I sow
I'm left seeing red on my own-
got a feeling that I'm going under
but I know that make it out alive
If I quit calling you my lover
and moove oon-"

Aviel started singing along mid song and smiled at Mike's expression at the sound of his voice. He wasn't the best singer, he would admit, but it was a catchy song.

"Come on! -Tripping over myself. Aching. Begging you to come out," he sung along, shoving his friend's arm, making him scoff. "YOU WATCH ME BLEED UNTIL I CAN'T BREATHE-" He turned up the music and got louder, ignoring Mike's eye roll.

"-AND NOW THAT I'M WITHOUT YOU I'LL BE NEEDING STITCHES-"

Mike turned the corner, reaching over to turn down the volume. His elbow hit Aviel's arm and the brunette jostled him back playfully.
"Oh come on, you're boring. Leave it-" He fumbled against him, blocking his hand when he turned it back up.

"No, you little asshole." Mike shook his head and left one hand on the wheel to try and fight him off with the other. Aviel managed to get the song turned up as loud as it would go and Mike shoved him back, using his strength and size against him, and turned it off. He didn't see the light coming up ahead until Aviel tuned in to their surroundings.

"Mi-"

The blond's head went up at his tone, just in time for the world to explode around them.

---

The ringing in his ears wouldn't go away. The doctors said that it would, eventually. If he was lucky. Otherwise he'd have to get used to it. Apparently being deaf didn't really mean that he couldn't hear everything. Although, he was starting to think it was all just his imagination. Maybe the ringing was just in his head. Maybe he was dreaming and his phone was trying to wake him.

Aviel shifted and snorted at his own thoughts. Yeah, right. For the last five months and a half he'd been thinking the same thing and it still didn't make a difference. He was awake, he knew that, and he'd have to get used to the fact. The tinnitus was due to his brain still working. Shoving the covers away, he glanced at the clock. 6:47 Huh. That was a surprise. Usually someone came to bother him if he was still in bed before dinner after a nap.

Then again, he'd been sleeping an awful lot lately. They probably figured it was better to leave him alone and not make him cranky.

Yawning, he shoved his hair back and fixed his pony tail where his hair was falling out. Then he moved over to put on some shorts over his underwear, leaving himself shirtless. He headed downstairs, biting his lip when he saw the light of the tv signaling his Dad was watching tv. He ducked passed the hallway and into the kitchen. Dinner was already sitting on the counter, covered in foil. He fetched himself a drink and grabbed the food to go to where his dad was.

His father only brief looked away from the tv as he sat down to eat his dinner. Until Aviel spoke, voice a little unsure, and a little louder than it was meant to be.

"Where's mom?"

His Dad frowned and spoke towards. "Upstairs. She's feeling tired," he answered. Aviel frowned as he read his lips but just finished eating his bite of food before he tried to speak again.

"She knows I'm leaving tomorrow.."

His Dad grabbed the remote and paused his tv show to sigh at him, making Aviel hunch in closer to the back of the seat. He kept looking at him though, so he could figure out what he was saying.

"She's worried."

Aviel sucked his bottom lip and rubbed the bridge of his nose.

"I'll be okay," he assured him, voice low. "I can do this on my own. I have the classes to go to, I have work." The last part was said loud enough to make his Dad grimace and Aviel looked away.

"Just..I'll be fine, Dad. I'm not dead." His eyes watered then, and he tried to push away the thought of his friend. "I'll figure it out."
Without saying anything else, Aviel stood up, taking his food upstairs with him.

---

Eyeing the mailbox, Aviel fished the apartment key out, and wedged it into the lock. The thing already looked like it was full, with one of the corners of a letter poking out and torn. A bunch of envelopes and spam came tumbling out into his waiting bag. He hadn't been in his apartment since the accident. His parents had demanded he stay with them as he recuperated. Jessie had checked the first two months for anything important but obviously the rest had just been left behind. He should have known she'd forget. And hell, he kind of did too, considering.

Throwing away all the adverts, Aviel threw his bag over his shoulder, and moved up the stairs. He'd had money saved up enough to pay for his rent but he'd cut off the utilities till the week before out of convenience. If his parents had it their way, he wouldn't go back to the life he had, and would just stay home at their place. At least, his mom anyway.

But his boss was willing to let him stay working at the book shop, since it wasn't like he did a lot of work that had to do with hearing anyway, and five months was damn well enough time to come to terms with things. And alright, maybe he wasn't exactly there yet, but he would be. He had classes set up to learn sign language and his friend's were plenty supportive. He'd survive.

Moving up the stairs, he ended up on the third floor, and walked to his apartment to the left. He loved his parents, they were the best adoptive parents a guy could ask for, even if they were a little overbearing sometimes and worry a lot. But coming back to his own apartment after five months was the best feeling in the world. He dropped his bag by the floor, ignoring the letters that came tumbling out, and moved to get rid of his pants. The place smelled stale and he'd have to clean up but for now he couldn't wait to relax.
"Marla's philosophy of life, she told me, is that she can die at any moment.
The tragedy of her life is that she doesn't."

notevenloss
Site Admin

Re: [jay & marz] My Heart and Lute [18+]

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:06 am

This year has been the hardest of your whole life.
So hard you cannot see a future, most days.
The pain is bigger than anything else.
Takes up the whole horizon, no matter where you are.

Wake up. Take the pills prescribed by the psychiatrist with a glass of water and a piece of toast. Go for a run, or more like a jog since you have two friends now, Chelsea and Sebastian. Shower. Get dressed. Put the dogs in their oversized crate. Drive to work. Smoke a cigarette to calm your nerves so you don’t have road rage and plow through the ass-end of the dumbass in front of you that keeps brake checking you for no goddamn reason. You didn’t used to smoke, only started this year, and it’s pretty fucking ironic, all things considered.

Park in the call center parking lot. It’s not your real job, your real job allows you to travel all over the fucking world, but you decided you wanted to try to stay grounded for a little while, rooted, so you took this fucking call center job and wish every day you hadn’t. Smoke another cigarette. Go inside. Answer screeching phone calls and meet each insult with an unseen smile and a “thank you, ma’am” or a “yes, sir.” Take a lunch to sit in your car. Stare at the road and imagine it as a runway, your car the plane about to take off. Remember what it’s like to fly? Finish your work day. Smoke another cigarette as you crawl through Chicago rush hour. Get home two and a half hours after you left that hellhole you call a job, only having taken a brief detour to go to the Chinese place near your apartment for food. Take the dogs out for a walk. Smoke pot. Eat and sneak the dogs each a piece of General Tso’s chicken. Or sesame chicken. Or orange chicken or whatever the fuck you got to eat that night. Catch up on emails, play with the dogs and mindlessly binge watch some episodes of How I Met Your Mother—you don’t really like it, but you have to see who the mother ends up being, even if it means going through fuck knows how many seasons of pointlessness to the story there is. Walk the dogs again. You let them sleep on the bed with you now, when you said you’d never let an animal do that. Smoke pot again. Take the pills. Go to bed with a channel of piano music playing. Go to sleep. Wake up. Take the pills….

Whatever you do, don’t think about your family. Don’t think about how you’re the only one left besides some aunts and uncles that all hate you because of your lifestyle choices. Don’t think about the fire that enveloped the house when you were supposed to be there, but you missed your flight and didn’t get to the airport until the next morning. Until it was too late. Don’t think about your mother with her incense always lit and the way she used to say it was to honor the spirits of the house. Don’t think of your father, smoking like a chimney and always saying he was on his last pack every time you came to visit. You still don’t know if it was the incense or a lit cigarette forgotten that started the fire. Don’t think about how you vowed never to smoke because you hated the smell, and now you smoke three or four cigarettes a day, even though they could have killed your family. The irony is too perfect.

Just take your pills and run with the dogs and go to your endless job and forget about the bad. It’s all you can do. There is no future ahead, but living day by day is the only way to forget about the past, to run away from all the bad. Maybe someday there will be a future again. Maybe not. Wake up. Take the pills…

You feel unsafe, you feel unsaved.
Your past so present you can feel your baby teeth.

It had been seven months, one week, six days, thir…teen hours, and forty-seven minutes since he had gotten the call. Kael still remembered it like it was yesterday. The night before, back in March, he had been coming back from Shanghai, the end of a world tour where he mixed the audio for renowned band All is Silent. He was supposed to catch a flight in LA to Chicago, but the flight to LA was delayed, making him miss his Chicago-bound flight. The next flight wouldn’t be until the morning. He called his mother, explaining the situation and saying he’d be there at around 11:30 the next morning. He couldn’t wait to see her and dad. He loved them, too. See you in the morning. Good night.

He received a phone call at 5:00 A.M. Pacific time from the police. Incense or a cigarette or both had been left burning when they fell asleep. The house burned to the ground. His parents were gone. Kael had gone to see his parents’ house as soon as he got into town, and only then did it sink in. His parents were gone. His mother had always tried to get him to settle down in Chicago, at least take a break from touring, so he did so, too late for it to matter much. He found an apartment and established care with a psychiatrist. He bought dogs to keep him company. He did whatever he could to stay busy. He did whatever he could to not think about that night. It didn’t work, but he thought he was doing pretty well at pretending.

It was Wednesday night, and he had just gotten back from walking the dogs. It was December, and he was freezing, which he was in Manila or somewhere right now instead of fucking Chicago. “C’mon, Chels. C’mon, Seb. Hurry up.” They trotted up the stairs to the apartment, and he noticed that one of the mailboxes, the one that had been stuffed to the brim with bullshit, was cleared out. Huh. He got on the elevator, blowing on his gloved hands to try to warm them up before rubbing them together quickly. Kael stamped his feet, and he couldn’t fucking wait to get inside. Smoking weed could wait; it was too fucking cold tonight, although he might change his mind later on. He had food waiting in his apartment, and he just wanted to get in to eat and warm up. They got off on the third floor, and he walked toward his apartment at the end of the hall, the dogs pulling at their leashes as they bounded toward the apartment door.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:07 am

Other than taking his pants off, the first thing he did was check the fridge for anything spoiled. Thankfully, Jessie had gotten rid of anything like she said she would, and Aviel moved over to open some of the windows to let cool air in a bit before it got really cold. He moved to the bathroom to wash his face and frowned at himself in the mirror.

He looked like he needed sleep, which wasn't surprising, and he could probably use a few more hearty meals. The surgeries had been taxing and his mother had sworn he lost a lot of weight but it wasn't obvious to him until now. He was already short, at 5'5, and losing weight probably only pronounced it.

For the next two hours, he relaxed in bed, mostly dozing but not getting any real rest. He had till Sunday to fix his sleeping schedule before work so he huffed and got out of bed. Putting on some slippers, sleeping pants, and a long jacket, he closed all the windows and moved outside the small balcony the apartment came with. Moving over to the ledge, he threw one leg over it, balancing precariously and leaned against the wall.

It was nice out, although cold, and he tugged his jacket closer, frowning at the city. If he tried hard enough, maybe he could hear it.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:07 am

Kael ate dinner, feeding some to Chelsea and Sebastian. He watched some How I Met Your Mother, and then he decided to brave the cold, even though it was against his better judgment. He could take a nice, hot shower afterward. He rolled a blunt and headed out onto his balcony after putting on a coat and scarf. His hands would just have to freeze.

He took a hit, looking out over the area ahead of him. when he looked around, he saw a guy... straddling the ledge of the balcony. "The fuck are you doing?!" he called, waving his hands in the air. "Hey!"

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:08 am

Aviel was pretty used to the cold weather, having grown up in Massachusetts among other places, before having been settled in Chicago when he was about fifteen. His parents had not been sure where they wanted to stay apparently.

However, his nose was pink and chapped, and rubbed at it. He hadn't written a word of prose or poetry in 8 months and while he was itching to he also didn't have any muse at all. Swinging one of his legs in hopes of staying warm, he wrinkled his nose, and failed to notice who was trying to grab his attention.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:09 am

"Oh, just gonna ignore me? Bastard." He took another hit off of his blunt and looked around. He had a half-empty Solo cup sitting on the table beside a chair. Pouring it out, he walked over to the other end of the balcony and threw it at the other guy, watching it bounce off of his head and fall to the ground below. Well, he should've gotten his attention that way, at least.

Kael didn't like being ignored. He didn't like assholes who thought they were too good to talk to him or that he was less of a person because of the color of his skin or the structure of his face. He wasn't going to let this guy completely ignore him.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Aviel blinked when something suddenly hit him on the head and he watched the cup fall down. "What the fuck?" He looked around, realizing someone must have thrown it deliberately. That's when he spotted someone outside another balcony and glared at them, assuming it was them since there was no one else around.

What the hell? He'd never seen the guy in the building before. He recognized the apartment but an old lady lived there last he knew. He never spoke to her or knew much about her but he was surprised to see someone completely different there now.

notevenloss
Site Admin

"You'll fall if you aren't careful," he said, as if it weren't the most obvious thing in the world to say. After a moment of consideration, he held the blunt up. "Wanna come over?" He'd never seen this guy before. Hell, he'd thought that apartment was empty, since he never saw anyone there, even though the mailbox had been practically overflowing. Kael offered a slight smile and waved the blunt a bit before taking a hit, his gaze never leaving Aviel.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:10 am

He couldn't make out what the guy said from the distance between them, not that he'd be very good at it since he didn't know if the guy had some sort of accent or anything either. Blinking, he tilted his head in confusion, but at the sight of the blunt he eventually got the gist of things.

Biting his lip, he moved to get up, easily balancing on the balcony, and moved over to the other guy's without so much as looking down. He sat at the edge and eyed him now that he was closer, unsure of what to make of him.

"I can't hear you," he told him straight away, huffing softly, and offering his hand. "I'm deaf. Name's Aviel. You sharing that?" His words came out loud and unsteady.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:11 am

Kael stared at the other as he crossed over the balconies without going through the apartments. Note to self: lock balcony doors from now on. He could hear Chelsea and Sebastian whining, so he let them out onto the porch. "You got a problem with dogs?" he asked, his back to Aviel as he closed the door. Then he heard it. I can't hear you. I'm deaf.

Well, shit.

That explained why he was ignoring him and shit. Dammit, now Kael felt like the asshole. He turned back to him and gestured to the dogs, then held up a thumbs-up sign with a shrug. "They okay?" he asked, not knowing if Aviel could read lips. "I'm Kael." At the question, the man nodded, holding the blunt out. "Lower your voice some though, shit, you'll wake the neighborhood."

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:13 am

Aviel's eyebrows furrowed at his gesture but then he realized what he was asking; he nodded and waved his hand dismissively. When the dogs came out, he offered the less shy one his hand to sniff. He eyed Kal? Karl? He eyed whatever his name was with a small frown but took the offered blunt.

His frown only deepened at what he said next and he took a quick draft of the blunt as he thought it over. "I..I'm not tired?" He shook his head and ducked in embarrassment, huffing in frustration and passing the blunt back to him. He crossed his arms over his chest and chewed on his lip. "I don't know for sure what you said."

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:14 am

Kael arched a brow. This guy was deaf but couldn't read lips? Maybe he knew sign language... but Kael didn't know more than the alphabet and I love you. Shit. He considered for a moment as he took the blunt back and hit it, taking a drag. Then he handed the blunt back to Aviel and headed inside.

He came out a moment later with a notebook and pen. I'm Kael, he wrote. And I said to lower your voice. You'll wake the neighborhood. He held the notebook out to him, shining the flashlight app from his phone on the paper so his small, neat handwriting was legible.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:14 am

Aviel didn't say anything else after that, just rubbed a socked foot against one of the dogs who came over to sit by him. He took the blunt when it was offered and blinked as he took a drag and watched the other guy head inside.

When he came out with a paper and pen, he realized what he intended. Squinting at the paper, he chewed his lip. "Oh." His voice was considerably lower, although awkward. "Okay." He offered the blunt back to him.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:15 am

He took the blunt back and hit it, smiling some at Aviel. "So, what---shit." He wasn't used to communicating with deaf people. Maybe he'd need to take classes in sign language. This guy was pretty hot. Kael passed the blunt to the other again and wrote on his notebook again.

Where'd your parents come up with Aviel? I've never heard it before; I like it. Do you go by anything else? Av? Avi?

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:16 am

Aviel blinked at him, catching a little bit of his stammering, but glancing down at the paper when he wrote on it instead.

Eyebrows furrowing, he looked back up. "It's Jewish," he told him, chewing on his lip. "Avi is fine." He kept to short sentences, unsure of how loud his voice was coming across, but hoping he didn't start whispering or something. He reached out for the pen and paper, absently noting this would be easier if they texted each other or something, before taking it to write.

What's yours? Is it Kell? Karl? He frowned, hoping he wasn't completely wrong.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:32 am

At the explanation, Kael nodded. I see.... Would this be easier using phones or...? Shit, I don't know. He sighed, watching Aviel take the notebook and write in it. It's Kael, he answered, said like the greens. You can call me whatever you want, though. He shrugged and sat down in one of his balcony chairs, looking over the railing. After a moment, he wrote again, though this time he used his phone.

Did you just move in? I've never seen you here.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:37 am

Aviel read what he wrote and then nodded. Biting his lip, he spoke. "Left mine inside," he told him, but truthfully it would probably be easier if they texted each other. Unfortunately, not even learning sign would mean he'd be able to communicate with everyone again, because not everyone knew it.

"Oh. Kael." He spoke mostly to himself, hoping his voice wasn't high and nodded. He followed his movement with his eyes, rubbing a hand over one of the dog's heads when it came back over to nudge at his knee with it's nose.

He leaned forward, squinting to read what he wrote. He shook his head. "No. Lived here before. Was in the hospital," he said, trying not to stutter, grimacing. He waved to his head, indicating his hearing. "Stayed with my parents for a while."

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:38 am

Ah. Well that made things much more difficult. Do you prefer me writing on the paper or on the phone? he wrote on the paper before texting the next part and holding out his phone.

When Aviel explained that he'd been in the hospital, he nodded. That made sense. It's good that you bounced back from whatever happened, he wrote in the preferred format. Some people weren't so lucky. He wondered what had happened, considering how long he'd thought the apartment was empty, but he didn't ask. That would be rude to ask someone when you first meet. He'd save that for another time.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:38 am

"Phone," he answered, reading what he wrote. "Faster."

Aviel smiled at his next comment, though it turned into a quick grimace not much after.

"Not everyone was so lucky," he managed, but huffed at himself for being so self deprecating. He shrugged slightly at him. "S'been over five months. Gettin used to it." Not much else to say, really. He didn't have a choice at this point and he wouldn't necessarily give up his life over his hearing. Even if he wished his friend had survived too.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:39 am

Kael nodded. He could use his phone then. He looked up at Aviel, missing the smile and only seeing the grimace. Frowning at the response, he was quiet for a moment before typing again.

I'm sorry to hear that. At least not everyone died, though? How old are you? he asked then, deciding to change the subject.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:39 am

"Yeah..no. I'm definitely alive," Aviel replied, shrugging. Sometimes he didn't care about that fact, but mostly when it came to thinking about his friend. He knew he had a serious case of survivor's guilt but he couldn't help it. He wasn't really the depressive type but suddenly he wasn't able to shake it off.

He frowned at the phone at the next part. "24. You?"

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:40 am

He nodded at the answer. 24. He was so young... Was he even out of college yet? Maybe--a lot of people graduated at 22 or 23. But maybe not, and it didn't really matter. Did it? He was cute, but Kael wasn't looking for a hookup or anything. Still... It might be nice having a friend here at the apartments.

Just turned 32. I'm an old man compared to you, he wrote as a joke. Do you work anywhere or go to school or anything?

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:41 am

Aviel snorted at what he wrote. "I've dated guys older than you," he pointed out, far from shy about his sexuality. And he was always willing to throw it out there as soon as possible. He didn't have any time for bigots, truth be told. He was more preoccupied with having good people in his life, thanks.

"Uh yeah." Avi rubbed the back of his neck and shrugged. "Work at the bookstore on 52nd?" His voice cracked a little bit and he tried to lower his voice since it was noticeable even to him. "I have a Bachelor's in Creative Writing but unfortunately you can't make a living off poetry until you die." He smiled while he said it, clearly cynical, but not bitter in the least. It was a common joke and he hadn't used it in months. No doubt it came out a lot less funny now.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:44 am

And I've dated guys younger than you, he replied with a smirk. Kael looked up at Avi, nodding some. I'm still pretty new to the area. My parents lived here, but I've only been here a few months. I still have a lot to look into... like that bookstore. He gave Aviel a small smile as he spoke about his Bachelor's degree.

As long as it's something you love... Besides, there are spoken word artists that get paid pretty damn well. You could become one of them. He stretched, rubbing his face. Do you want a drink or anything? I'm being a shitty host.

notevenloss
Site Admin

Post by notevenloss » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:45 am

Aviel's eyebrows rose at his comeback, surprised since it wasn't what he expected to hear. He was used to the awkward "same here" at most. He rolled his eyes after a second, though. "Hopefully not that much younger," he replied.

He looked down to watch him type and then read what he wrote, lip twitching into a smile. He debated with himself for half a second. He wasn't interested in a hook up, although that was normal for him, and a relationship would just complicate things right then. But friends, maybe? He needed some, considering. "I can show you around?" He shrugged, leaving it up to Kael.

Snorting at his encouragement, Aviel waved a hand dismissively. "I've only spoken in front of a small crowd once.." And then everything had gone to shit. He sighed, shoving the melodramatic thought away.

At his question, Aviel shrugged. "S'ok. I didnt exactly come in through the front door," he pointed out with a small grin. "But I wouldn't mind some soda if you got any."